Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Boring Company Offers Details on Chicago Project, New Video of L.A. Tunnel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Boring Company offered Thursday new details on its plan to build a high-speed underground transit system, including a video of Model X accelerating through a tunnel on electric skates.

The Boring Company was selected to build an underground transportation system connecting downtown Chicago and O’Hare International Airport, which Mayor Rahm Emanuel said will be called the “X.”

“We’re taking a bet on a guy who doesn’t like to fail, and his resources,” Emanuel said of Boring Company and Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk . “There are a bunch of Teslas on the road. He put SpaceX together. He’s proven something. The risk, with no financial risk, is I’m betting on a guy who has proven in space, auto and now, a tunnel, that he can innovate and create something of the future.”

Musk also sounded confident about his company’s ability to make the proposed tunnel a reality.

“I’ve done a few things in my past that were pretty tricky,” Musk said.

Musk said he hopes for boring machines to begin digging from both ends of the tunnel in as soon as four months. When finished, the tunnel can serve pods carrying 2,000 passengers per direction every hour, with pods within two minutes. At speeds of more than 100 mph, the pods will run end-to-end in 12 minutes, besting the 40 minute car ride required today. Loop service will cost around $25 per person, significantly less than what a car service currently costs travelers.

The pods that will travel in the tunnels will be made by Tesla, Musk said.

Musk said the system could be ready in as soon as 18 months and certainly within three years.

Shortly before the press conference in Chicago, The Boring Company shared a video on Twitter of a Model X speeding through the tunnel the company is currently constructing to connect downtown Los Angeles to Los Angeles International Airport. Check it out below.

Last edited by a moderator: