Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Boring Company Tests Car Elevator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Elon Musk continues to share progress on his plan to build a network of tunnels that carry cars on electric sleds.

Musk posted to Instagram a video of a Tesla Model S being lowered underground on an elevator.

Login • Instagram

He previously shared a video on Twitter of the elevator’s skeleton being constructed.

According to a concept video, the elevator would lower vehicles into the the tunnel where they would ride a high-speed platform at up to 124 mph.[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI” video_title=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
Elon Musk looks for solutions to problems that most all of us -- Republican, Democrat, Independent, or "Mexican visitor" -- agree need attention like gridlock in our urban areas. Of course, Musk faces the huge obstacle of funding many of his proposed, innovative solutions.

Contrast that with the guy with massive financial resources who spends his time creating problems that either don't matter much or are not solvable by him. What a shame for us.

Reactions: MitchMitch
Elon Musk looks for solutions to problems that most all of us -- Republican, Democrat, Independent, or "Mexican visitor" -- agree need attention like gridlock in our urban areas. Of course, Musk faces the huge obstacle of funding many of his proposed, innovative solutions.

Contrast that with the guy with massive financial resources who spends his time creating problems that either don't matter much or are not solvable by him. What a shame for us.

I think at this point he has no trouble at all getting funding for anything he wants to do. He has a serious track record and I'd be begging him to take my money (if I was filthy rich) to pursue this idea and go full speed ahead with it. How and why would you go against Elon in this day and age.

I find the usefulness of this questionable. If you really want to sit in your own car, sure. But throughput is problematic. A Boring tunnel that follows the route of say, an LA Metro rail line would require a lot of tunnels in each direction to match throughput. Plus it encourages more car usage. The traffic would just be out of sight.

I'd prefer more public transit like rail (put those TBMs into building more rail lines, Musk), but the crowd here and at other Tesla fan sites seem to be the kind that are averse to rubbing shoulders with strangers on the metro. Not to mention that most Angelenos won't be willing to pay the significant premium this service this provides outside an emergency.

I find the usefulness of this questionable. If you really want to sit in your own car, sure. But throughput is problematic. A Boring tunnel that follows the route of say, an LA Metro rail line would require a lot of tunnels in each direction to match throughput. Plus it encourages more car usage. The traffic would just be out of sight.

I'd prefer more public transit like rail (put those TBMs into building more rail lines, Musk), but the crowd here and at other Tesla fan sites seem to be the kind that are averse to rubbing shoulders with strangers on the metro. Not to mention that most Angelenos won't be willing to pay the significant premium this service this provides outside an emergency.
"Strangers" isn't the apt description and don't blame just Angelinos. No one in any city likes encountering aggressive and smelly street people on mass transit, but the biggest barrier to effective mass transit in cities like LA and Phoenix is the entrenched urban sprawl. Both cities were carelessly built without any consideration for future gridlock and now we all pay for it. Tunnels probably aren't a great solution on a large scale but may be helpful. I'm glad Elon is willing to try something different.

Avoiding a government funded; government engineered project seems the only possible way to avoid all the graft and corruption that plagues US projects. We all know many over budget and late projects. Can we name any that were on time and at budget??

internet search:
boring company chicago tunnel

Dare I suggest also looking at SpaceX as an example??