TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

The Boring Company

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by dkemme, Apr 30, 2017.

1. dkemme

dkemme Member

#1 dkemme, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
    Thought I might start a thread on Musk's Boring Company after his release of the video at the TED2017.

Here is a great, bit old, article on boring at WSJ (subscription required).

The High-Tech, Low-Cost World of Tunnel Building

Cost only $19,000 per foot per that article for a train, by my math that is $100M per mile.

Boring companies tunnels will be much smaller of course and cheaper, but only single lane. Four lane highway costs are quite a bit cheaper, $10M per mile. I'm not sure how this becomes financially possible?

2. f-stop

f-stop Member

during the talk, Elon roughly outlined some ways he hopes to dramatically reduce the cost of digging the tunnels. e.g. reducing the size (cross-section) would cut the cost by 1/4, being able to dig and reinforce the tunnel simultaneously would cut the cost by another factor of 2 (or 4?), improving the speed & efficiency of the digging machine would cut the cost by another factor of 4 or 5(?)... etc Sorry I don't recall all the exact numbers he mentioned, but that was the gist of it.
    He talked about how their family pet snail Gary was 14 times faster than the speed of current boring machines, and the target was to beat Gary

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. SDRick

SDRick Member

The video was pretty cool. One thing that was conveniently left out is how the hole in the street is covered while the sled lowers into the tunnel system?

• Like x 1
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

They could have sides/a cover slide into place. But that sort of engineering detail wasn't the real point of the concept of the video.

5. KidDoc

KidDoc Supporting Member

I swear this seems like a practical joke. I don't see how this can be cost feasible.

6. Economite

Economite Member

The caption on the Instagram states “This is a test run of our electric sled that would transport cars at 125 mph (200 km/h) through the tunnels.” That is not the same as saying “This is a video of a full scale electric sled prototype going 125 mph.”

I doubt they've built that is long enough for a full-scale car-sized sled to actually go straight for the length of that video at speeds approaching 125 mph. Either it’s a very small scale model (going 125 mph at scale) or a demonstration of the technology going much slower than 125 mph. Stick a tiny camera on one of these and it will look just like that video: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XK6MDTM?psc=1

Also… Designing an electric slot car is no big technological leap. The trick with his plan involves the tunnels, access to the tunnels, switching/controls/dispatch, safety/reliability, and right-of-way/financing/construction cost issues.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

8. thimel

thimel Member

It looks to me like they did this in the one mile long hyperloop test tube that is in the Space X parking lot. There are other similar videos of pods built by various colleges that were in a competition.