TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The brake pedal

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Donkasan, Aug 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Donkasan

Donkasan Member

Hi,
    Being lurking for a few months here.

I heard a few cases when people have said that they can drive the Model S by only using the gas pedal, and I always wondered why they do not use the break pedal normally. Can't the break pedal also control regenerative breaking, or is that out of the question in the Model S?

2. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

1) There is no gas in a Model S
    2) The other pedal isn't broken... It's working fine.
    3) You should lurk into the grammar/vocab thread :)

Welcome!

3. Electric700

Electric700 Member

If you have the regeneration level on your Model S set to a high enough level in the configuration, once you take your foot off the accelerator (electricity pedal?) the car can slow down very quickly, similar to if you had pressed the brakes. The back brake lights should also come on automatically.

I still think it's a good idea to condition your brakes every few weeks by applying a good amount of force to the brake pedal. Another member had success with this method.

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

#4 Discoducky, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    The throttle/accelerator pedal also acts to completely control the amount of deceleration through regenerative braking. The brake pedal is not connected to the drivetrain and is really only used to bring you to a full stop or for slowing down faster than the regenerative deceleration forces allow.

Also, there are two settings for regenerative braking (Standard and Low).

5. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Nope. The break pedal does not control regenerative braking at all, which is different than other EVs and hybrids.

6. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

To be clear, I assume you meant not connected to the REGENERATIVE system...

7. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Good catch, updated!

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Give this guy a Brake (break)! Some people have english as a 2nd language. They have to take a break from their first language to talk about braking. His first language is likely not broken. So give it a break.

9. Donkasan

Donkasan Member

Ok. That explains it. I myself would not like this one pedal driving style; too much risk of pressing on the accelerator when an emergency braking situation comes up. Hopefully they can do a firmware adjustment for this item.

10. Gear

Gear Member

#10 Gear, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    Go drive one and see. There's absolutely no more risk of pressing on the accelerator during an emergency braking situation than any other car. The regenerative braking essentially feels like strong engine braking in a manual car, and nobody worries about hitting the accelerator instead of the brake in a manual. There seems to be a lot of misconceptions from people who've never driven one that are really just non-issues. There's a bit of a learning curve with the throttle, but it only takes all of about 5 minutes to get used to it.

11. Cutwolf

Cutwolf Member

A bit rude, no?

English is not everyone's first language.

12. J in MN

J in MN S60 P12635

It is the exact opposite. One pedal driving is much better in the event of an emergency braking situation. Intuitively you will let go of the accelerator, not press down on it. The car will immediately start to slow down, long before you have moved your right foot to the brake pedal (or used your left foot to depress the brake pedal as you could do in a car without a clutch).

13. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

+1 definitely safer.

The car is already slowing down while you move over to the brake pedal. When in traffic and things slow I move my foot over and cover the brake pedal (just like in my other vehicles), but I'm already slowing at that point. If I need to slow more quickly, then I push the pedal.

14. jammerdjc

jammerdjc S Owner/Member

This is exactly what I do. I cover the brake pedal just in case someone short stops or takes some other foolish action.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Not really. it's exactly the same as any other car except much better. You take your foot off the accelerator pedal to slow down and press the brake pedal if you need to slow down faster. The only difference is that compared to an automatic transmission vehicle, the slowing happens faster. If you drive a manual, you are already used to doing this.

16. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

I am fairly liberal with test drives, and so far, it has taken folks about two slow downs to figure it out. And they all like it.
    I just wish the LEAF had greater regen - ours is a 2011 without B mode.

17. Donkasan

Donkasan Member

I like to control the level of regeneration when I brake; I do that regularly driving in my Prius. I think I will defer to you guys since you know the model S better than me.

18. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

Our other car is a 2008 Prius. If you like being in control of the amount of regeneration, you're going to LOVE the way the Model S pedals work. You get significantly more control over the regen than you do in a Prius.

And...welcome to the forums! :)

19. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

You can set the regen to low and drive it like a regular car if you don't like regen kicking in as hard when letting off the throttle.

20. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Once you get used to it this way is much better. Adjust the accelerator to speed up and slow down. Use the brake to stop quickly. Most of the time you never need to change your foot, but when an emergency happens instinct kicks in and you mash the brake pedal.