Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The brake pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience Hybrid regen brakes from two generations of Prius and multiple models of Lexus hybrids all work perfectly. And in all cases there is virtually no brake dust and minimal brake pad wear.

Road and Track agrees with my view of most hybrid braking systems - I didn't say they don't work, just that I don't like the feel. One of the few positives in their BMW i3 review:

"At least the brakes feel great. The i3 uses Tesla-style accelerator mapping (full regeneration hits when you come off the gas), leaving a brake pedal free of the typical unpredictability of a blended brake system."

2015 BMW i3 Review - R&T Road Tests - Road & Track

Road and Track agrees with my view of most hybrid braking systems - I didn't say they don't work, just that I don't like the feel. One of the few positives in their BMW i3 review:

"At least the brakes feel great. The i3 uses Tesla-style accelerator mapping (full regeneration hits when you come off the gas), leaving a brake pedal free of the typical unpredictability of a blended brake system."

2015 BMW i3 Review - R&T Road Tests - Road & Track

They are simply wrong and contradicted by many reviews of toyota/lexus hybrids which report that the brakes work perfectly and often marvel at the long brake pad life and lack of brake dust in the front wheels. Drive a toyota or Lexus hybrid and see if the transition from regen braking to brake pad braking is negative in anyway. To most it isn't even noticeable.

They are simply wrong and contradicted by many reviews of toyota/lexus hybrids which report that the brakes work perfectly and often marvel at the long brake pad life and lack of brake dust in the front wheels. Drive a toyota or Lexus hybrid and see if the transition from regen braking to brake pad braking is negative in anyway. To most it isn't even noticeable.

The Model S will also have long brake pad life and lack of brake dust, but its design is IMHO a cleaner and simpler one - one pedal driving. I owned a Toyota hybrid for over 7 years and noticed the shift from regen to brake. I much prefer the Tesla approach but you have your own preference or just haven't actually driven the Model S beyond a brief test drive so to each his own.

FWIW, my last car which I sold when I got my S was a 2009 Lexus GS450h, high performance hybrid. At 80k miles it still had 80% of front brake pad life remaining (and I drive fairly aggressively). The Lexus/Toyota regen was great, sort of like the low setting on the S. No unpredictability, no odd feel. YMMV.

Another person explained it differently and that sounds correct:

VolkerP said:
08-07-2012, 03:38 AM​
Regen is limited to 60kW power fed back into the 85kWh battery pack. We don't know if the smaller packs will have even less regen. The Roadster power gauge goes up to 40kW regenerated power. With Model S at nearly twice the Roadster's weight, there is twice the kinetic energy to deal with but only 50% more regen power. That will limit max regen deceleration to 2/3 of Roadster max regen deceleration.

In addition to that, Tesla smoothed the curve when regen kicks in. In the Roadster, regen jumps to 100% as fast as you lift the foot off the accelerator pedal. Not so in Model S. There is a short delay during which regen is building up. I don't know the length of the delay. But a quarter of a second would be enough to make the transition feel much softer. That was Tesla's design intent and they succeeded.

from http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9614-Performance-Regen-vs-85-kWh-Regen

Someone else also suggests that Tesla may have capped regen at -0.15g, rather than at some specific kW rating.

And it make senses from a driving experience perspective not to design in the full possible regen that the generator and battery are capable of by simply releasing the accel. That would be too abrupt -- too much like a golf cart or go kart. A gradual curve is better -- or even better a cap on the amount gs.

But if you ever want to decel more than the curve or cap allows, your only option is friction braking. It could be that the amount of energy there just isn't worth trying to capture. It is certainly true that if you are very efficient and lucky in not over accelerating then you rarely have to decel more than the accel pedal release will allow. But the point remains that there is by design forgone regen opportunity lost whenever you need more regen than allowed by the accel release.

Again to summarize, what are limiting factors in how much regen to capture? The factors include:

1) what the battery can take. The Superchargers can deliver 90kW? so presumably we aren't close to this limit of the battery.
2) What the motor/generator mode can deliver. It looks like this is capped at 60kW?
3) The braking force on the tires before they lock/lose traction. This is different for using the front only, or rear only, or all four wheels. Certainly you can capture the most force from using all four wheels, next most would be just the fronts. Last would be the rear wheels only.

4) From a driving experience there may be too much "regen surprise" so a limiting factor would be how much regen can the driver experience before they feel like they are in a go cart? Should the car come to a short halt when the driver releases the accel?
Do the D models have a higher regen limit than 60 kW? How do the D models distribute regen force between the two motors? Our Focus Electric also has a 60 kW regen limit. However, even at freeway speeds I have never managed to get up to the 60 kW limit. At lower speeds the regen limit is actually much lower due to the lower motor RPM, just like the Model S. In our Fusion Energi the regen limit is 35 kW. Since both of those cars have the electric motor & regen on the front axle, when the friction brakes engage they engage only on the rear wheels at first, transitioning to the front wheels as needed for stability. Since the RWD Model S can only regen at the rear axle, will it engage the front brake pads first when you step on the brake pedal?

Do the D models have a higher regen limit than 60 kW? How do the D models distribute regen force between the two motors? Our Focus Electric also has a 60 kW regen limit. However, even at freeway speeds I have never managed to get up to the 60 kW limit. At lower speeds the regen limit is actually much lower due to the lower motor RPM, just like the Model S. In our Fusion Energi the regen limit is 35 kW. Since both of those cars have the electric motor & regen on the front axle, when the friction brakes engage they engage only on the rear wheels at first, transitioning to the front wheels as needed for stability. Since the RWD Model S can only regen at the rear axle, will it engage the front brake pads first when you step on the brake pedal?
The power guage on my P85D goes to 60kW of regen.

Thanks! Do you see the gauge get all the way to 60 kW when lifting off the accelerator at highway speeds? What's approximately the lowest speed at which you can still get 60 kW of regen, before the decreasing motor rpm limits the maximum potential energy that can be captured through regen?

Regen can only capture kinetic energy (and not all of that because some is lost as heat). The kinetic energy is the limit, not the motor RPM. In other words at any given X mph there is a fixed amount kinetic energy available (assume flat road) regardless of motor speed.

Regen can only capture kinetic energy (and not all of that because some is lost as heat). The kinetic energy is the limit, not the motor RPM. In other words at any given X mph there is a fixed amount kinetic energy available (assume flat road) regardless of motor speed.
Motor speed is a linear function of wheel speed. Thus it is also directly related to the amount of kinetic energy available. The motor cannot capture all of the available kinetic energy, there is a maximum amount that it can capture. In a Tesla, 60 kW is the maximum under any circumstance. But, at lower speeds the motor can't reach 60 kW, even though there is more kinetic energy available.