Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cabot Trail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, anyone driven this in their Tesla?

Wikipedia says it is 298 km in length, Plugshare shows only two charging options and the Tesla site shows no destination chargers on the route. The Tesla site also lacks any "coming soon" superchargers on the way to Sydney, so at the moment, this looks like it would be a difficult venture.

Could someone tweet Elon and get this corrected please? ;)

The Cabot Trail is supposed to be one of North America's premiere drives...

Reactions: McCaesar
One goal of mine for 2019 is for my car to be a support vehicle for the Cabot Trail Relay. Should be fine, given the new CHAdeMO stations available.

You're fine with your Model S of course, but there's no indication the 3 is to support CHAdeMO in the foreseeable future. Do you expect to see any Model 3 participants in the Relay, and perhaps share with us their innovative solutions to the charging issue on the Trail?

I go to that part of CBI a few times a year but I always fly and rent in YHZ. One thing to keep in mind is that there are lots of elevation changes on the trail - and they are quite steep at times. You may not be able to use regen to regain all of your potential energy so your mileage may be substantially below the rated level. But I think you should be fine as long as you take advantage of the Chademos just before you get on the island, and then at Baddeck. And then you can top up at spots like the Glenora distillery which I would recommend for their tour and even for lunch/dinner. I could swear that there is a charger at Cabot Links, but I could be wrong. But it is only a few km from Glenora. Cabot Links would make sense for a destination charger as their visitors are in the Tesla snack bracket.

If you are a golfer you will want to play both courses at Cabot and Highlands Links in Ingonish.

You're fine with your Model S of course, but there's no indication the 3 is to support CHAdeMO in the foreseeable future. Do you expect to see any Model 3 participants in the Relay, and perhaps share with us their innovative solutions to the charging issue on the Trail?
Not likely. Most people coming from out-of-province would fly in and rent a vehicle. I doubt there are that many Model 3s residing in Atlantic Canada.

If I do go, I'll definitely be practicing my ABCs... Always Be Charging..

Reactions: noicepls
Not likely. Most people coming from out-of-province would fly in and rent a vehicle. I doubt there are that many Model 3s residing in Atlantic Canada.

If I do go, I'll definitely be practicing my ABCs... Always Be Charging..
You’d loose that bet. ;)
I know of about twenty M3s nearby, and I know there’s more that I haven’t met yet.

When is the Cabot Trail run? I think I might roll my X into it. Can probably talk a few 3’s into thinking about it as well, though it’d be better if we could get the Chademo software for the 3’s released.

When is the Cabot Trail run? I think I might roll my X into it. Can probably talk a few 3’s into thinking about it as well, though it’d be better if we could get the Chademo software for the 3’s released.
May 25/26. You should try to find a team to volunteer with as support crew. Plenty of teams fly in and could use a vehicle/driver.

So, further research shows lots of people have done it, but charging options still look minimal if you happen to encounter another EV. Anyone done it recently care to comment on their experience?
During first week of January i did a day trip from Baddeck to White Point and back. Left Baddeck with 98% charge and returned with about 18%, drove a total of 260km. I didn't drive hard and it wasn't too cold that day, maybe -10C. The full loop was closed at the north end because of a snow storm the day before. I have very little doubt that in the summer the full loop can be done without needing to charge.
The Sun Country charger at Knotty Pine Cottages was not working that day, apparently there is a breaker that can be flipped, but I didn't dig through the snow too much to find it. No one was at the front desk to ask about it, so i just carried on. I had planned not to charge that day anyways.
I did call Laurie's Inn in Cheticamp to see if their charger was accessible, but they were closed and I didn't get a call back.

My concern isn't so much the distance as it is the lack of multiple chargers. If I'm the 6th EV to pull into Baddeck and each EV before me needs to charge for 30 minutes, I'm waiting 2.5 hours because there is only one fast charger. The other chargers on the trail are Level 2. That's an even longer wait should I need to use one and someone else is already plugged in.

My concern isn't so much the distance as it is the lack of multiple chargers. If I'm the 6th EV to pull into Baddeck and each EV before me needs to charge for 30 minutes, I'm waiting 2.5 hours because there is only one fast charger. The other chargers on the trail are Level 2. That's an even longer wait should I need to use one and someone else is already plugged in.
Wasn’t there another charger at Morrison Motors 2 blocks away?

We're planning a Cabot Trail visit in the fall. Would really appreciate any (EV and other) updates to this thread before then. With our Model 3, looks like we're going to be limited to only two Level 2 charging opportunities along the trail once we leave Baddeck--so slow! I'll continue to monitor Plugshare and other sources, but feedback here from anyone who has made the trip before we leave would be very useful to our planning.

We once had family living in Ingonish whom we visited every summer, but they left some years ago and we haven't been back. Any major changes to the trail in the last ten years beyond EV charging that we should be aware of?

The big change in that part of Cabot Breton in the last decade has been the development of the Cabot Links golf resort in Inverness. This is a world class golf resort that has brought high end golf, accommodations, and dining to this part of Cape Breton. The two golf courses there are both in the top five in the country and Cabot Cliffs is in the top 30 in the world. This gives you some nice options to stay and to eat - plus to play golf if you are interested. There does not appear to be any charging at the resort but 10 minutes south at the Glenora Distillery there is a L2 charger that is listed on Plugshare, that may be one of the two chargers that you mention.

Oh, and the Timmies in Cheticamp closed a few years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: ArcticStation