Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cancer that is Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven’t driven much since last 2 updates, now on M3 2020.16.2.1 which seems to have introduced really bad phantom braking with TACC when changing lanes. This happened 3 times on our first trip after the update. I’m In lane 1, signal right lane change, move to open lane 2, truck in lane 3. Upon entering lane 2 hard brake by car that apparently thought I was going to drive directly into the truck in lane 3. Clear lane lines around and no other traffic. I can no longer have TACC active if I want to change lanes.

I’m In lane 1, signal right lane change, move to open lane 2, truck in lane 3. Upon entering lane 2 hard brake by car that apparently thought I was going to drive directly into the truck

This is exactly the situation that I have found that most fantom breaking happens in. I am pretty sure it is spurious secondary reflections off the truck that is part of the issue, but sometimes it feels like it could be the speed differential between you and the truck that triggers the braking.

Once I got used to the possibility of it happening, I didn't stress over it too much, but it is pretty confusing for nearby drivers especially as braking tends to happen at exactly the point that you would normally speed up to pass the truck.

Same for NoA Lane changes that cancel half way through switching lanes. I have had several scary situations where I have signalled and started changing lanes to avoid bunching up as traffic is joining from the left. Other cars start to move in to the lane I am moving out of, and the last thing they would expect is for me to suddenly swerve back into 'their' lane.

I think the lane change timeout is a European requirement, but it's stupid and dangerous who evers fault it is!

2018 LR AWD, EAP, no FSD, 2020.32.3, Forward Collision set to "Late".

I've had two pretty nasty phantom braking events happen over the past week. Both times seemed to happen right after executing a lane change and just before approaching an overpass bridge (although I'm not 100% certain on the lane change part).

I really don't trust AP at all anymore. I was almost rear-ended by the guy behind me yesterday due to this. It was startling. I stabbed the accelerator as soon as I could but it's very confusing when it happens unexpectedly. Your brain is hard wired to hit the brakes because at first you really do think a collision is imminent. It takes a fraction of a second to realize you need to do the opposite. Thankfully the guy behind me was paying attention, and I noticed he stayed WAAAY back after it happened.

The strategy to avoid / reduce phantom braking is to always follow a car. I haven't had phantom braking while following a car.

The whole point of AP is to reduce mental workload on the driver. If I have to burn excess brain BTUs thinking about phantom braking avoidance strategy then I may as well just drive the car myself.

(I realize some people might argue that the whole point of AP is actually to train Tesla's FSD neural network, in which case I have even LESS interest in participating, especially when it presents a genuine safety risk to me, my occupants and to the poor sucker unlucky enough to follow me too closely on the freeway).

Reactions: Doggydogworld
If I have to burn excess brain BTUs thinking about phantom braking avoidance strategy then I may as well just drive the car myself.

Dunno if you have an AP car, but it's not that bad if you understand when the risk for phantom braking is high. Basically, on long road trips, drive up to a car, turn on AP, set the speed to be 10-15mph over the car in front of you, and then it works reliably to reduce your mental BTUs during the road trip. AP is very reliable at following cars on the highway.

If the car in front of you changes lanes, change with them or drive yourself to find another car to follow.

P.s. don't follow other Teslas :p

guys, Elon Musk says phantom braking has been fixed. husband has been experiencing this a couple times on our Y and freaked him out, almost got into an accident.

Tesla 'Phantom Braking' Fixed in Latest Software Update Says Elon Musk - TeslaNorth.com
There are some folks who have a place(s) where they can get phantom braking almost on demand.
Can those folks please try the new (guessing 2020.4.x) release in those spots and report back.
Unfortunately, I do not have such a place, when it happened in the past, I have not been able to recreate on a Model 3 or Model Y (my X is AP1 so not really a good test).

I can't say for certain that it was "real" phantom braking, but on my first commute running 2020.40.3, I had my first case of hard deceleration. I took a dashcam recording, but it is really hard to see that way. There was a bright sunrise off to my 11 o clock. It happened as I was passing a truck on my left and the truck cast a momentary shadow on me. I drive a model Y.

I can't say for certain that it was "real" phantom braking, but on my first commute running 2020.40.3, I had my first case of hard deceleration. I took a dashcam recording, but it is really hard to see that way. There was a bright sunrise off to my 11 o clock. It happened as I was passing a truck on my left and the truck cast a momentary shadow on me. I drive a model Y.
Interested in seeing the video. Can post the video to youtube or something.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
upload_2020-10-23_17-35-5.png

https://twitter.com/teslaownersSV/status/1319746128099692544

There is hope!

Reactions: bruce4000