Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The car continues to charge pass limit and won't release charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I noticed that my MY kept charging after it had already reached the preset limit (of 80%). It reached around 81% - 82% when I discovered it. And when I tried to press the charger head button, the car wouldn't stop charging and release it. The LED on the charging port turned white briefly and turned green again. In the end, I had to use the Tesla App, which still had the "unlock charging port" button enabled. This successfully stopped the charging and released the charger.

I'm wondering if any of you folks experienced the same thing before.

Screenshot_20210705-145906.png

The only time this has happened to me was not having the charger pushed in all the way. It didn’t happen to my Y but a loaner X. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to get the car off my home charger. I pushed the plug in more and then pressed the release button. It stopped charging at that point and released the plug.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and cancoi
Today I noticed that my MY kept charging after it had already reached the preset limit (of 80%). It reached around 81% - 82% when I discovered it. And when I tried to press the charger head button, the car wouldn't stop charging and release it. The LED on the charging port turned white briefly and turned green again. In the end, I had to use the Tesla App, which still had the "unlock charging port" button enabled. This successfully stopped the charging and released the charger.

I'm wondering if any of you folks experienced the same thing before.

View attachment 681659
I have mine set at 80% and lately it's normal for it to stop charging at 81 or 82%.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
don't press the button and release it too quickly, keep it pressed and wait for the release to remove the handle. This is especially true at superchargers.
When the glitch happens, after I press the button and wait, the charging port will lock again and light turn green after 3 seconds.

And if the charger is not plugged, pressing the button won't open the charge port, unless I get really close to the charge port and the port door would open and hit the charger head.

This happened again yesterday. But the it seemed to have gone back to normal afterwards.

Last edited:
When the glitch happens, after I press the button and wait, the charging port will lock again and light turn green after 3 seconds.

And if the charger is not plugged, pressing the button won't open the charge port, unless I get really close to the charge port and the port door would open and hit the charger head.

This happened again yesterday. But the it seemed to have gone back to normal afterwards.
From my experience I just shove the charger into the car. If it doesn’t go in far enough you will have trouble removing it when the charge port unlocks.

At least you got 3 seconds. With my car, and many other people's, it is instantaneous in every charging situation, that releasing the button makes it latch onto the charging handle again. You complained about having to use the app to release the charging handle. This advice was just pointing out to you that it is not necessary if you HOLD the button down and then pull the handle out.

At least you got 3 seconds. With my car, and many other people's, it is instantaneous in every charging situation, that releasing the button makes it latch onto the charging handle again. You complained about having to use the app to release the charging handle. This advice was just pointing out to you that it is not necessary if you HOLD the button down and then pull the handle out.
So you implied that I'm not alone to see such a problem. I don't know if this should be considered normal even if many people have this symptom on their cars. Before this happened to me, if I press the button, the car LED would stay in white and the charging would not re-initiate by itself.

So you implied that I'm not alone to see such a problem. I don't know if this should be considered normal even if many people have this symptom on their cars. Before this happened to me, if I press the button, the car LED would stay in white and the charging would not re-initiate by itself.
No, those are two different and separate issues. My car never charges over the limit like your original question was about.

But I'm talking about just unlocking and trying to remove your charging handle out of the port. On my car, the instant I let go of that button, the port will re-latch onto the handle. It's not charging. It's not a green ring around the charge port. It flips back to blue, which is like the "wating" or "ready to charge" state, but not unlocked.

You can always interrupt a charge session any time, with that handle by pressing AND HOLDING the button and pulling the handle out.

I had this exact same issue today. Even holding the button it wouldn't unlock. The only way I could get it to unlock was through the phone app. Not tried to charge again since then.

Yes, we do. We get them on the same exact date too! What are the odds of that? Maybe that is the issue.

I'll have to let my car know his twin is on the opposite coast and apparently is Canadian. I hope there won't be a language barrier if they ever meet up. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: jjgg
Are you (jjgg and DayTrippin) sure that the vehicle is unlocked before attempting to stop the charge? Sometimes, when I approach my MY (ha ha, get it?...I'm sure I'm the first person to use that joke), the car does not detect my phone app, and therefore will not unlock, which means you cannot remove the charging cable.
Next time try to open a door first to see if the car is unlocked, then try to stop charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and GtiMart
Are you (jjgg and DayTrippin) sure that the vehicle is unlocked before attempting to stop the charge? Sometimes, when I approach my MY (ha ha, get it?...I'm sure I'm the first person to use that joke), the car does not detect my phone app, and therefore will not unlock, which means you cannot remove the charging cable.
Next time try to open a door first to see if the car is unlocked, then try to stop charging.
This has happened to me as well, but if the car is unlocked no problems.

I'm sure it is unlocked. Otherwise when locked and I don't have my phone with me, the charging port LED would not turn white briefly, but remained green.