TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The car that keeps giving...

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by NewbieT, Oct 31, 2019.

1. NewbieT

NewbieT Member

This week: I'm loving not having to scrape the windscreen in the cold.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
  2. MOBB

MOBB Member

Bliss isn’t it?

3. kevuwk

kevuwk Member

Nice feature but if you forget to use it and get in the car the auto wiper goes crazy

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I had a meeting at my daughter's school early this morning. When I finished the meeting and left the building to head to work, the outside temp was about 32F, slightly drizzling, and windy. As the meeting concluded, I opened the app and turned on the car's heater. Upon leaving the building, I stood in the nice warm vestibule and summoned the car to the front door, watching the car turn its wipers on, signal as it pulled out of the parking space, and very carefully drive itself along the front of the building to stop right at the front door. I stepped out of the vestibule and walked a mere ten feet into a snuggly warm car.

The people who walked me to the door were blown away by all this.

• Like x 15
    • Love x 12
  5. Durzel

Durzel Active Member

People talking about Smart Summon on the UK subforum need to be banned :D ;)

• Funny x 16
    • Like x 5
  6. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

If you get ceramic coating, ice blobs form which do not stick to the paint and just slide off when gently pushed.

• Like x 4
  7. MelT3

MelT3 Member

Hmph! In the UK teachers aren’t paid enough to afford FSD - and we don’t have all the functions you have in the states. Not that I’m at all jealous or disgruntled of course. :rolleyes::confused:

• Like x 2
  8. MacPaul

MacPaul Member

Where do they say they’re a teacher?

9. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Correct. I’m not a teacher. I was just there for a meeting.

• Like x 1
  10. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

So am I. I'm driving my wifes Mini this week and it has one of the Ford electrically heated windscreens :)

• Funny x 2
  11. TM3PTN

TM3PTN Member

Used to have that on my cooper S and cooper D :) it was one of the options when I bought but I’m so glad I ticked it on the list! It worked in an instant! :)

12. NewbieT

NewbieT Member

Electric windscreen car is probably close but its not a Tesla! From memory it’s a case of get in a cold car, start the engine, click the windscreen button, wait a short while....M3 is already waiting, warm and ready to drive straight off, ahh. First world problem I guess!

13. elecTED

elecTED Member

If you’re talking about cabin pre-heating via the app then it’s a nice luxury feature but not something unique to Tesla.

Don’t quite get what you mean by ‘the car that keeps giving’ and the example you give.

14. MelT3

MelT3 Member

Just saying that you would get the same reaction from school staff over here (after all, you are posting on a UK thread). Hope you enjoyed the moment - my M3 hasn’t been delivered yet so I’m just day dreaming of similar things! :D

15. elecTED

elecTED Member

If you’re talking about over the air updates and improved features then yes, the car does give you more over time.

16. Glan gluaisne

Glan gluaisne Supporting Member

I couldn't live without remotely operated cabin preconditioning now. Both cars I've owned since 2013 have had it, and it's significantly better than windscreen heating, IMHO, not only because the whole cabin is warm and the screen defrosted in winter, but just as much for being able to pre-cool the car when it's been sat parked in the sun.

17. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

The "witty" comments on here are because such great features are intentionally disabled on Teslas in the UK ... despite people having paid lots of money for FSD. It's apparently due to our restrictive laws, unfortunately.

18. beezy

beezy Member

19. Andrew Cauthen

Andrew Cauthen New Member

Quick!!! Key it!!! jk but that’s probably what a lot of people are thinking . This can easily be available for everyone now. #spaceshiplife

20. TigerNinety

TigerNinety Member

So, I can't speak for the OP, but...

No, it's not unique to Tesla, but there seem to be no more than five other cars out there that claim "remote pre-conditioning," and I'm not even sure that it's at the level of control that Tesla gives.

But, on top of that, as others have said, this is a car that keeps getting better with just OTA updates (including "Summon"). Not too many cars can say that...