Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Carrier Dented My Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad that you got that resolved! My Model S had the Pano roof glass scuffed (probably by the transporter). The roof had about a 1 inch scuff mark that looked like the glass got sandblasted. The Tesla Tech said that he heard that this has happened to other cars. They're replacing the Pano glass in mine.

Hi Liz,

I just heard about this. So sorry this happened.

We will ABSOLUTELY take care of this. I have asked for pictures.

Let me look at the pictures and get back to you. We will absolutely get you a new car as needed. Let me see the pictures and get back to you.

GeorgeB

I'm so darned proud to be a part of this company. I admit I'm a long time "true believer." My friends make fun of me for believing in a car company at this level. I'm printing out George's response to this to show the gang at the golf course this morning.
A car company that get's it? Are you kidding me! We have all had horrible car buying/ owning experiences. I hesitate to use the word but I've had some that were borderline "traumatic." No wonder I get a little emotional when I see customer service like this. Simply stunning!

I can't descibe how much I appreciate the way Tesla is handling this. Their quick and kind responses are definitely making this situation easier for me to deal with.

The car is now at the Tesla service center in Chicago. And they've sent me pictures. Looks like the driver lowered the ramp for the upper deck and dented the piece of applique that covers the seem between the windshield and pano roof. In addition the windshield is cracked. Guess I should feel lucky he hit that spot, any further back and the interior of the car would have probably been filled with glass.

I'm still trying to figure out how the driver managered to do that. [Thinking....Bewildered look] Yep, cant figure out how he didn't see my car sitting under the ramp before he tried to lower it. I've got a picture of it and I find it hard to take my eyes off of it. :) Maybe it's beauty mesmerized him.

Anyways I'm putting together a list of questions for Tesla to address, because of where the damage is. If it truly was just a "love tap" then it looks like Tesla can simply replace the piece with a new one and the windshield and then the only thing I have to concider is diminished value. I'm not going to think about the other option right now.

This is difficult not being able to see the damage in person and access it. Part of me wants to drive up to Chicago and take a look. But maybe not, I'd probably cry again. Yeah, I cried when I found out. I know "it's just a car", but .... it's not "just a car".

Anyways, Tesla is going to look at it Monday, service center is closed on the weekend, and let me know by Tuesday what the damage is. Then we figure out where we go from there.

Liz,

This is terribly unfortunate, but you brought up some good points (as have others who have posted in this thread)

(1) any further back, and your car would be filled with pano-glass-roof"lets" (lucky)
(2) GB had this brought to his attention (Tesla employees read this stuff - no way GB reads every thread every day) (Tesla Teamwork)
(3) GB contacted you (either indirectly or directly) and made this - or is making this - right (Company Integrity)

I have heard all ranges of stories from the delivery process, in states like Georgia and Texas where it is still illegal to buy a Model S directly (beating a dead horse here). These stories range from delightful to down right sophomoric and anywhere in between. Dirty handprints on the A-pillar, scratches on the wheels, are one thing, but this is

(a) huge

and

(b) not Tesla's fault directly.

Sure, they hired the transport team, but it is a subcontractor and should be considered only as a subcontractor, not Tesla.

Tesla makes things right. I truly think that making a buck is not number one on their priority list. Heck, it may be in double digits on that list. Their company exists to re-invent how people interpret daily travel while reaching out to the environment and saying, in a technologically savvy way, "we care"

Liz, we all wish you a rapid repair to your car.

WJ

As Tesla continues to ramp up sales, they will work out the dealership issues in every state (at least the ones where they are selling in volume). If they have a dealership, then owners would have an opportunity to inspect the car before payment and accepting delivery - so this issue would not come up - it would be entirely be between Tesla and the transport company.

My last car had a similar problem. I ordered a Lexus LS 460 - and it was damaged in transport. My Lexus dealer didn't even give me the option to take the car - because after it was repaired, it wouldn't be "new". Instead, they worked things out with Lexus and the transport company - and got me a replacement a week later.

Until Tesla works out the dealership issues, they can create a lot of good will by providing their customers the same level of protection for their investments, that we would get if they had local dealerships.

But I'll admit, after finalizing my delivery options yesterday, I do have some apprehension about the shipping process (to Houston) and hope my delivery goes smoothly...

As Tesla continues to ramp up sales, they will work out the dealership issues in every state (at least the ones where they are selling in volume). If they have a dealership, then owners would have an opportunity to inspect the car before payment and accepting delivery - so this issue would not come up - it would be entirely be between Tesla and the transport company.

My last car had a similar problem. I ordered a Lexus LS 460 - and it was damaged in transport. My Lexus dealer didn't even give me the option to take the car - because after it was repaired, it wouldn't be "new". Instead, they worked things out with Lexus and the transport company - and got me a replacement a week later.

Until Tesla works out the dealership issues, they can create a lot of good will by providing their customers the same level of protection for their investments, that we would get if they had local dealerships.

But I'll admit, after finalizing my delivery options yesterday, I do have some apprehension about the shipping process (to Houston) and hope my delivery goes smoothly...

See if you can ask for Richard out of Idaho. He is one person who takes pride in his job and how he services clients. Straight shooter. If it is a morning delivery, breakfast made him happy. No cheese. No coffee.

Just sayin ....

As Tesla continues to ramp up sales, they will work out the dealership issues in every state (at least the ones where they are selling in volume). If they have a dealership, then owners would have an opportunity to inspect the car before payment and accepting delivery

But you wonder how many times this happens vs. the dealers just "fixing it" and not saying anything. I think we're better off knowing and having the issue come up. If the transport companies have to eat enough Model S cars, maybe they will improve.

My assumption is that Tesla has insurance in place for cars 'in transit' and/or has verified that the carriers have adequate insurance. This shouldn't be money out of Tesla's pocket (or Liz').

But I'm really sorry, Liz, that you have a delay in receiving your car. It's not a surprise that Tesla (ie, George) is handling the way they are. God speed to your new car!

top1.jpg

or

DSC_8220_web_t670.jpg

atleast this didnt happen

Guess I should feel lucky he hit that spot, any further back and the interior of the car would have probably been filled with glass.

Not to worry - this is yet again one of the many places Tesla did it right.

The pano roof and rear hatch glass are the same "Lamisafe" laminated safety glass as the front windshield, not just tempered automotive glass like used on side windows.

This means it won't shatter into a thousand pebbles and fill the interior with glass. The plastic sheet in between the layers of glass will hold it together. A few pebbles might come loose with a big impact, but most will be kept bonded to the sheet.

My car was due to be delivered tonight and I just got a call from the carrier. They dented the roof of my car. I'm not even sure how they did it. He was trying to explain but all I heard was white noise.

I'm still waiting for a picture to see how bad it is.

Tesla says the carrier is responsible which makes sense and they need to fix it under their insurance. But my husband says that not only should they fix it but they (carrier) owe me some money since now my Vin is going to show that I've had body work and I don't even have the car yet.

And of course we are worried about the Pano roof now. Oh geez!

I don't know what to do. Anybody else have this happen?

I don't think that is totally true. As long as you don't go thru an insurance company it will not be reported to Carfax.

- - - Updated - - -

I vote for the new car, too. Let Tesla and the carrier figure out the repair and sell that car to someone else. It's not your problem.

You paid for a new car, not a repaired car.

Excellent point Bonnie. Don't be persuaded when you see the car fixed. I would push for a new car. I would tell the driver not to deliver it. You don't want to see the car. Push Tesla hard.

This is difficult not being able to see the damage in person and access it. Part of me wants to drive up to Chicago and take a look. But maybe not, I'd probably cry again. Yeah, I cried when I found out. I know "it's just a car", but .... it's not "just a car".

It's likely your car is sitting next to mine. They can help comfort each other in their illnesses. :)