Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Carrier Dented My Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember that if there is ANY painting to be done it will NOT match the factory paint and it WILL peel long before the rest of the factory paint even fades.
I'm sure that GB will make it right. I've just never had good luck with paint repairs, let alone some factory paint.
No matter what, the car will not be as good or have as great a resale value as it would have otherwise.
One post suggested they fix the car and use it for a Tesla store demo car. I second that recommendation.

Hi Liz,

I just heard about this. So sorry this happened.

We will ABSOLUTELY take care of this. I have asked for pictures.

Let me look at the pictures and get back to you. We will absolutely get you a new car as needed. Let me see the pictures and get back to you.

GeorgeB

Not sure why so many keep assuming Liz will need to take a repaired car. I thought George was quite clear.

Liz--

So sorry to hear about your car, but so stoked that George B just swooped in and started taking care of it himself. Pretty amazing display of Tesla customer service... but I know that doesn't get your car to you at the time you expected and that is a tough pill to swallow until it arrives.

Hang in there!

-------

In other news:
The pano roof and rear hatch glass are the same "Lamisafe" laminated safety glass as the front windshield, not just tempered automotive glass like used on side windows.

This means it won't shatter into a thousand pebbles and fill the interior with glass. The plastic sheet in between the layers of glass will hold it together. A few pebbles might come loose with a big impact, but most will be kept bonded to the sheet.

I can assure you that it is quite possible to shatter even Lamiglass into a gazillion pieces and have most of them go all over you. I agree that it is better than regular tempered glass however.

I learned this the hard way when a retread attacked my windshield a number of years ago (which is why I am the lone voice here against drafting trucks for range). Spent hours picking all the shards of glass out of my skin.

Cheers

Remember that if there is ANY painting to be done it will NOT match the factory paint and it WILL peel long before the rest of the factory paint even fades.
I'm sure that GB will make it right. I've just never had good luck with paint repairs, let alone some factory paint.
No matter what, the car will not be as good or have as great a resale value as it would have otherwise.
One post suggested they fix the car and use it for a Tesla store demo car. I second that recommendation.

I would like some advice. I took delivery of my Model S about 4 weeks ago and there was a deep scratch in the roof (among a lot of other issues). I pointed it out to the delivery people and was assured that the service center would be able to color sand it out easily, so I reluctantly accepted delivery. Couldn't get the car into the service center for a few weeks because they were too swamped. It finally went in about a week ago. I just got told yesterday that it is at a 3rd party body shop getting the entire roof painted. I never authorized this. I was told that if the service center's detail guys couldn't repair it then they might have a local body shop take a crack at it, but it was never suggested that a part of the car would be repainted. When I sold my Acura to Carmax recently I remember them going over the car with some sort of electronic tool that told them the paint thickness and allowed them to determine if any sections of the car had been repainted. Has Tesla just harmed the resale value of my car? Am I going to have paint fade / paint match issues later on? The car has under 500 miles on it. I am very concerned. What should I do?

Last edited:
I would like some advice. I took delivery of my Model S about 4 weeks ago and there was a deep scratch in the roof (among a lot of other issues). I pointed it out to the delivery people and was assured that the service center would be able to color sand it out easily, so I reluctantly accepted delivery. Couldn't get the car into the service center for a few weeks because they were too swamped. It finally went in about a week ago. I just got told yesterday that it is at a 3rd party body shop getting the entire roof painted. I never authorized this. I was told that if the service center's detail guys couldn't repair it then they might have a local body shop take a crack at it, but it was never suggested that a part of the car would be repainted. When I sold my Acura to Carmax recently I remember them going over the car with some sort of electronic tool that told them the paint thickness and allowed them to determine if any sections of the car had been repainted. Has Tesla just harmed the resale value of my car? Am I going to have paint fade / paint match issues later on? The car has under 500 miles on it. I am very concerned. What should I do?

TM Warrant still applies, but verify color match in bright sunlight

Hi Liz,

I just heard about this. So sorry this happened.

We will ABSOLUTELY take care of this. I have asked for pictures.

Let me look at the pictures and get back to you. We will absolutely get you a new car as needed. Let me see the pictures and get back to you.

GeorgeB

Not sure why so many keep assuming Liz will need to take a repaired car. I thought George was quite clear.

Actually, I don't find his intention to be clear.

If George wanted to be crystal clear, he would have said, "We will absolutely get you a new car." Instead, the statement is modified by the phrase "as needed." Who determines the need? Liz? Tesla?

Actually, I don't find his intention to be clear.

If George wanted to be crystal clear, he would have said, "We will absolutely get you a new car." Instead, the statement is modified by the phrase "as needed." Who determines the need? Liz? Tesla?

All that means to me is that he'll wish to see the damage. I can picture a small dent which can be resolved simply with suction. Kudos again to GB the super VP who replied in two hours!

I can't descibe how much I appreciate the way Tesla is handling this. Their quick and kind responses are definitely making this situation easier for me to deal with.

The car is now at the Tesla service center in Chicago. And they've sent me pictures. Looks like the driver lowered the ramp for the upper deck and dented the piece of applique that covers the seem between the windshield and pano roof. In addition the windshield is cracked. Guess I should feel lucky he hit that spot, any further back and the interior of the car would have probably been filled with glass.

I'm out of state so I can't go look at my S to see how it's put together, but one thing to consider is whether the dent is confined to a body panel. Since the windshield is cracked you have to at least be concerned about whether the roll cage might be compromised.

I know we're going off on a slight tangent here, but I have faith in Tesla to do the right thing for Liz and everyone who has a model S.

Here's an example... I've mentioned that upon delivery, my GPS antenna was not working. The ranger came out to my home and unhooked the antenna from the harness in front and connected a new antenna, and it began working. This means that either part of the car's wiring harness has a loose connection, or the GPS antenna was unconnected or defective.

Now, here's the kicker: the GPS antenna is only accessible by removing the rear liftgate glass, which may need to be broken in order to get it loose. Does that entitle me to a new car? Liz mentioned she was told it was the fascia between windshield and top.

My view: get written assurance it's not structural, have them repair it to your satisfaction, then expect a few goodies to be thrown in, like a license plate frame.

I'm getting a little concerned with these "QUALITY" issues. Tesla needs to increase their inspections of cars coming off the production line. I know they were trying to meet EOY guidance but I thought ELON's Number ONE Goal is QUALITY.

I'm getting a little concerned with these "QUALITY" issues. Tesla needs to increase their inspections of cars coming off the production line. I know they were trying to meet EOY guidance but I thought ELON's Number ONE Goal is QUALITY.

To be fair, my issue is not a quality issue. While Tesla is still responsible to fix problems introduced during transit, we really can't call them quality issues. I've been in contact with a friend of mine in the car business and he told me it is not uncommon for cars to arrive at a dealership with scuffs, dents, etc. They just fix them before the car gets put on the lot.

Last edited:
UMD86 where did you start reading this thread, I'm afraid you will have to go stand in the corner, I'm MAKING YOUR HAT !
Does the HAT have a Tesla or TMC logo on it? If so, I'll take one too.

On a very loosely related note, if TMC offered merchandise I'd likely buy a hat and a t-shirt unless they were overpriced.

I had a friend who a brand-new car that was hit in an accident. The perp's insurance company want to repair it, he wanted a new car. My advise to him?

Tell the transport company (or their insurance company) that you paid for a brand-new no-damage-history car to be delivered. If they want to fix it, fine, but that won't make you whole again. Explain that you plan on selling it immediately with a full disclosure as to the damage and filling an additional claim against them for (1) the difference between the cost of replacing the car (gross cost, including any taxes) and what you receive for the new car, and (2) you will try to rent/lease a Model S on the free market until the new car is built and expect them to pay for that cost. Since there isn't much of a market yet for such leased cars, I'm sure it will take an astronomical price to "pry" one loose from another private owner. Perhaps they'd consider renting their "nearly new" car to you until your new one is built for a reasonable per-mile charge.

It worked. They "totaled" the car and wrote him a check to pay for a new one.