Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The case for 120V 15A (12A) charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just about to jump in and say that.

In fact, in some ways it's unfortunate that so many new EV owners (Model 3) have obtained their cars at a time that can only be described as "ideal EV weather". I can just imagine what these forums are going to look like at the first sign of cold weather in the Fall. :eek:

This is definitely going to be a recurring theme. I've been driving my car the last few months and marvelling what great range it has, and how quickly it charges, and how wonderful everything is! By winter-time, I'll forget all of my struggles last year.... not that they were that bad, but there were a few days where I needed to plan better. It's going to be reoccurring 'thing' year after year.

This is definitely going to be a recurring theme.

It kinda already is. There are those who may have "forgotten" last winter like you, and we always add a number of new owners over the summer who are shocked and surprised by how much changes in the cold. What I really meant was that with Model 3, the sheer number of new owners who took possession in nice weather, and then come back in the Fall with all the "What the heck" threads will be crazy.

• Funny
Reactions: darkenergy
Thank you everyone for all of your helpful comments! :) I finally got my NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage yesterday so I'm good to go now but it's nice to know that worst case if I have no other option, 12A @ 120V is not too bad in summer weather.

I've bookmarked @Doug_G 's Cold Weather Driving blog and look forward to reading it as Ottawa winters can be really cold most years; like minus 40 degrees Celsius!

I know that sometimes during the winter my iPhone shuts off right when I take it out of my pocket so I'm glad that Tesla has built-in heating for the battery pack.

Thank you everyone for all of your helpful comments! :) I finally got my NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage yesterday so I'm good to go now but it's nice to know that worst case if I have no other option, 12A @ 120V is not too bad in summer weather.

I've bookmarked @Doug_G 's Cold Weather Driving blog and look forward to reading it as Ottawa winters can be really cold most years; like minus 40 degrees Celsius!

I know that sometimes during the winter my iPhone shuts off right when I take it out of my pocket so I'm glad that Tesla has built-in heating for the battery pack.
Do you mind if I ask who did your Nema install?

Anyone find a 5-20 helped a lot more than a 5-15?

Yes, in ideal weather, a Model S gets about 42% more energy into the battery on a 20A circuit charging at 16A as compared to a 15A circuit charging at 12A. You might think you would only get 33% more energy, but at both 12A and 16A charging, there is a constant power drain overhead of about 600 watts for computer and cooling pumps (in a Model S) during ideal conditions charging, so that’s why 20A charging is so much better.

You have to use a Tesla adapter other than the included NEMA 5-15 to get charge rates greater than 12A.

You cannot be describing personal experience with Model 3 winter charging, since no one in Canada has done that yet.

Are you just trying to provoke me or deliberately choosing to read just what you want to?
If you were paying attention, in my post I had explicitly not referred to a non-existing Model 3:

"from my personal experience charging my other EV (similarly designed cold battery charge protocol)".

You are not that smart after all, are you? Wonder what other crap you're trying to feed me! Actually, I know that already, so don't bother replying.

Reactions: Gen3
I was just about to jump in and say that.

In fact, in some ways it's unfortunate that so many new EV owners (Model 3) have obtained their cars at a time that can only be described as "ideal EV weather". I can just imagine what these forums are going to look like at the first sign of cold weather in the Fall. :eek:

I DID NOT refer to any previous Model 3. Wake up.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gen3
And this is what happens when people start sniping at each other. Doug, as a moderator, you really should know better. noicepls, I’d recommend just not responding to nitpick comments. We are all adult enough around here to separate the signal from the noise. And please, no need to respond to this comment if I haven’t appeared even handed enough.