Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The catastrophe of FSD and erosion of trust in Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not a safety hazard. I’m an extremely experienced driver of cars and motorcycles on and off a track. speedboats and sailboats too! 99% of people shouldn’t use the weight. But I know I’m hyper aware of everything around me, and know the limitations of AP. To each their own.
And 70% of all drivers rate themselves as "above average".

we

NoA will do onramps, off-ramps, freeway/highway changes, but as soon as you hit city streets with lights, it will kick into the Beta stack. some highways are an exception because they have lights, but your complaint is NoA that comes with paying for FSD. completely different code than the beta.

the long talked about "V11" being "Single Stack" is about that. current version is 10.11.2 and there are 2 separate code bases that switch back and forth. I dont have beta, but my car runs the same code as you on freeways.
It drove past the designated exit...it did NOT exit, did not depart..it just kept on driving
NOA explained.jpg

It drove past the designated exit...it did NOT exit, did not depart..it just kept on drivingView attachment 791690
This thread is about the beta version 10.11. A complaint about an NoA is not FSD beta specific. you can press the report button and move on, but again. Your complaint belongs somewhere else. And it isn’t catastrophic. That’s an exaggeration lol

It drove past the designated exit...it did NOT exit, did not depart..it just kept on driving
I'm having a similar problem with my 2018 LR M3 with FSD Beta 10.10.2. Regardless of the configuration setting, it seems that if I let FSD Beta drive the car onto the highway ramp, the car transitions to AutoPilot, but Navigate on Autopilot is not engaged. I have to remember to touch the NOA enablement button (now that small mixed color icon) to get the car to continue to drive itself on the highway. But I forget - a lot, because I am already on FSD Beta so the car is already driving itself. And when I forget, the car just stays on AutoPilot and doesn't change lanes and doesn't take exits. I assume this is a known "issue" and will be fixed eventually.

Reactions: superblast
This thread is about the beta version 10.11. A complaint about an NoA is not FSD beta specific. you can press the report button and move on, but again. Your complaint belongs somewhere else. And it isn’t catastrophic. That’s an exaggeration lol
i have no complaint with noa..I have FSD 10.11.2 and AGAIN when it was engaged it did not exit as it should have. How many times do I have to say that?? I guess you just don't want to hear it.

Reactions: Ramphex
I'm having a similar problem with my 2018 LR M3 with FSD Beta 10.10.2. Regardless of the configuration setting, it seems that if I let FSD Beta drive the car onto the highway ramp, the car transitions to AutoPilot, but Navigate on Autopilot is not engaged. I have to remember to touch the NOA enablement button (now that small mixed color icon) to get the car to continue to drive itself on the highway. But I forget - a lot, because I am already on FSD Beta so the car is already driving itself. And when I forget, the car just stays on AutoPilot and doesn't change lanes and doesn't take exits. I assume this is a known "issue" and will be fixed eventually.
thank I will track this the next time on road.

i have no complaint with noa..I have FSD 10.11.2 and AGAIN when it was engaged it did not exit as it should have. How many times do I have to say that?? I guess you just don't want to hear it.
You really don’t understand what I’m saying unfortunately.

You have the beta for streets
AND
You have the regular persons software for freeways and highways NoA.

The beta was not what screwed up. NoA did. Your complaint is with NoA not taking the exit.
Done explaining this.

You really don’t understand what I’m saying unfortunately.

You have the beta for streets
AND
You have the regular persons software for freeways and highways NoA.

The beta was not what screwed up. NoA did. Your complaint is with NoA not taking the exit.
Done explaining this.
One more time please with pictures lol.

Sometimes data gets lost in the noise of all the posts, I admit I wasn’t sure myself if you meant NoA or FSD was engaged at the time. Does this always happen at the same place? You might want to watch the screen to see what the car thinks the roads are at that point (since this might be a map error etc).

Is your NOA enabled to “automatically turn on” in the settings? If it isn’t you’ll need to manually toggle it every drive or it’ll use AP once you exit “city streets”

I think a lot of disagreement on here are simply the result of how one chooses to interpret what someone says.

This statement from you I can choose to respond three different ways.

1.) The A-hole response -> The refreshed Model S/X do have cabin cameras that are used for driver monitoring, and you're a total idiot for not knowing this. Please try to keep up.
That would have been the overwhelming preference of responders on the late, unlamented official Tesla forums, where it seemed as though a plurality of the members lived simply to post stuff like this.

Nope, didn't know about the cabin camera in the refresh cars. All the early reporting seemed to be primarily concerned with the performance of the Plaid. I see Tesla says the camera is in fact used for driver monitoring, which begs the question as to why they still require the wheel-torque thing. Oh well. Elon is mysterious.

Nope, didn't know about the cabin camera in the refresh cars. All the early reporting seemed to be primarily concerned with the performance of the Plaid. I see Tesla says the camera is in fact used for driver monitoring, which begs the question as to why they still require the wheel-torque thing. Oh well. Elon is mysterious.

It's not especially mysterious.

The interior camera, which has been in the 3/Y for years now, was never intended for this purpose.

The EU recently passed a requirement for driver monitoring in new cars... and Tesla being Tesla just engineered a way to do it for $0 additional HW cost... by leveraging the existing interior camera (and then adding one to the refresh S/X)

Anyway- since it was never meant to do this, it's not very good at it.

It can't actually see well enough to KNOW if your hands are on the wheel or not.

That's a still from the interior cam. Can you tell if the guy has his hands on the wheel? Nope.

You CAN tell if he's looking at the road at least....but unlike some dedicated for the task HW it can't see through polarized sunglasses, or particularly well in the dark.

It's likely "good enough" to meet the EU requirement- but the torque sensor is there to fill in some gaps of its capabilities.

It WILL nag you if you sees you playing with your phone while driving though!

• Informative
Reactions: COS Blue
No, it doesn't.
Yeah, I'm gonna give up here, since it's obvious we'll never agree. I admire, in the abstract, the purity of your dedication to linguistic abstractions over real-world performance. Still, thanks for pointing out the change in auto lane change confirmation sometime those years ago, as it did lead to me turning the (poorly named) "confirmation" feature off, and I prefer the way it works vs. the confirmation on setting.

It’s not a safety hazard. I’m an extremely experienced driver of cars and motorcycles on and off a track. speedboats and sailboats too! 99% of people shouldn’t use the weight. But I know I’m hyper aware of everything around me, and know the limitations of AP. To each their own.
I have a friend who totally understands the laws against using a cell phone while you're driving. After all, he says, you can see people doing insanely stupid things in cars every day even when they're not distracted by a phone.

He insists, though, that it's safe for him to do so, since he's certain of his ability to talk on a hand held phone while driving without compromising his driving ability in any way.

Good suggestion. If that doesn't work I'd disable the FSD and NoA settings, re-enable them then reset the display and do a power recycle. If that doesn't work call Tesla tech support. Good luck.
I think it’s a multiple profile problem.
In my main profile, I can toggle this on and off and its sticky. In my FSD Beta Testing profile (the only profile FSD Beta is enabled) it seems to revert back to off. I may need a hard reboot. But I’m always nervous of turning off FSD beta in every profile in case I can’t get it back later.

Reactions: Ramphex
@Goose66

View attachment 791847

View attachment 791848

Make sure “Enable at start of every trip” is on
A suggestion as I have seen you mention pinball lane changes and trying to quick use wrong lanes to pass. Shut Off that mad max setting! On FSD beta I had nothing but grief till I turned that crap off and lowered to mild. Still passes slow cars but Stops the random pinball constant passes.