Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The catastrophe of FSD and erosion of trust in Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just really sick of people saying "I'm gonna file a complaint with 'insert agency here' if they dont fix what I dont like because im angry and my opinion is important! time to run to the government and regulators to have them step in!"

Piss off.

Its a ****ing BETA. you shouldn't have signed up for it. do you want to halt ALL progress? do you want them to only be able to test with a small amount of people that work directly for Tesla? great way to get real progress. lets limit the amount of miles AI is supposed to learn from when thats the ENTIRE ADVANTAGE of Tesla! the amount of miles its beta testers are driving. thinking like that holds back real progress in the world no matter what industry we are talking about.

More regulations isn't the problem. if you dont feel safe, stop using it. So tired of ungrateful, entitled complainers
I wasn’t disagreeing with you on not filing the NTSB complaint. The software is beta. But even the company’s way of delivering updates and communicating with their customers is pretty beta 😅

Maybe Tesla fixed the preconditioning so it doesn't turn on and stay on as soon as you enter in the destination supercharger despite it being 90+ miles away.

Had this experience with a >100 mile leg of a drive. It started preconditioning two states away, and as long as I had a pack that wasn't at optimal charging condition, it kept preconditioning. I finally had to turn off in-car routing.

I've also noticed that sometimes the map will just stop updating, so you won't get further instructions, the course doesn't highlight on the map if you need to re-route, and obviously re-routing doesn't do anything either. Your chevron keeps moving though.

And I'm hoping that the blinker camera stops covering the next turn instruction so that when the passenger is connecting their phone and you turn on a blinker to enter an on-ramp with multiple intersections, you don't have to guess which one is yours. Thanks Connecticut.

What’s with the large amount of people from California always accusing others of being a part of some group

Religion. There are people here that still pretend Tesla is the underdog and that there's still some all-powerful cabal that is trying to destroy the company even though they've failed at every turn from 2011 to 2022. If you aren't battling good vs. evil at every moment, how else do you motivate yourself? It couldn't be simple things like Tesla adding more service centers and addressing a decade long concern, or Tesla opening two factories in one year to help with production and hopefully lower delivery costs to Europe. That would be silly to use those as motivation and evidence that Tesla is healthy and growing.

Instead you have to read a person's honest (and completely accurate) assessment of FSD and think "This guy's a mastermind of the demise of a giant corporation". :rolleyes:

For all of Tesla's faults with FSDBeta, and there have been many I'm glad to have the opportunity to participate in FSDBeta. The alternative is to have a car from a different legacy automaker and know I won't be able to try anything until there is a formally released product which could be many years away. I'll take this roller coaster ride anytime. Since I started watching Tesla closely every day since 2009 I'm going to stick with them in spite of their obvious faults.

When I posted this I knew it would illicit a lot of responses, and I understand them all, and agree with many aspects of the dislikes. But when the car crosses two sets of double yellow lines into head-on oncoming traffic at 60mph in order to "avoid the merge" of another car beside me that is not merging , which mine does now on 10.10.2, there is a potentially catastrophic problem. Even the production FSD I have had for three years never did anything as dangerous as this.

I am still driving 10.10.2 every drive, and yesterday right after posting this and thinking I was too harsh, it did it again.

I have not filed any complaint.

Last edited:
When I posted this I knew it would illicit a lot of responses, and I understand them all, and agree with many aspects of the dislikes. But when the car crosses two sets of double yellow lines into head-on oncoming traffic at 60mph in order to "avoid the merge" of another car beside me that is not merging , which mine does now on 10.10.2, there is a potentially catastrophic problem. Even the production FSD I have had for three years never did anything as dangerous as this.

I am still driving 10.10.2 every drive, and yesterday right after posting this and thinking I was too harsh, it did it again.
I assume I am stating the obvious but have you sent in emails to Tesla's FSD's beta team along with letting Tech Support know how serious the problem is?
Tech Support is likely to push back but you should ask to speak with a supervisor/manager regarding this. Push hard.

Reactions: beachmiles
I assume I am stating the obvious but have you sent in emails to Tesla's FSD's beta team along with letting Tech Support know how serious the problem is?
Tech Support is likely to push back but you should ask to speak with a supervisor/manager regarding this. Push hard.
Yes I have reported to the beta team - that seems to be a black hole.

It started preconditioning two states away, and as long as I had a pack that wasn't at optimal charging condition, it kept preconditioning. I finally had to turn off in-car routing.
Can't you just tap the red precondition notice at the top of the navigation directions? If you do this, I thought it turned off the precondition... I only know this because I tapped it once by accident, the red went away, and when I tried to supercharge it was slow.

Reactions: nvx1977
It's almost genius that people are willing to pay $12K for the privilege to be unpaid beta testers and Tesla to be absolved of liability when something goes wrong by hiding behind the beta label and disclaimers...
I'd almost like to see a regulation (yes another regulation) that time-limits how long something can be called Beta in a production model. Do they not have the courage to stand behind their products? I'm not talking about FSD Beta which is clearly a Beta, but the other Beta features.

I'd almost like to see a regulation (yes another regulation) that time-limits how long something can be called Beta in a production model. Do they not have the courage to stand behind their products? I'm not talking about FSD Beta which is clearly a Beta, but the other Beta features.
It’s just a language that’s being used to tell people that it’s constantly being improved. That’s what AI and Neural nets do . It constantly improves. Even if new data is only run through the systems once every few months. How can people not comprehend that. It will NEVER be at a point where they make no more changes.

It’s not a bad thing. It’s a good thing.

Also... how would that make any sense at all. You want to regulate LANGUAGE. Not just car tech.

“Let’s put a time limit on how long a company can work on improving new technology and new features. ‘You have 5 years to perfect a new thing’”

That’s the most ridiculous way I’ve ever heard to hold back humanity in any industry. Thinking like that will hold us back forever. Can’t wait for the younger generation to step into regulatory and government roles. To stop archaic thinking like that.

The more I read posts and reply’s on this forum, that’s supposed to be about the most futuristic and forward thinking car on the market, the more shocked and worried I get about the future.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Everyone is selfishly complaining that things should be changed because they themselves don’t like something, pretending and using the excuse that it’s better for everyone.

People threatening to go to regulators because they don’t like something. That’s basically blackmail and extortion. A bunch of pouting and whining but grown adults. Usually on the older end of things which is even more pathetic. Tattling to daddy government because they don’t like something.

Reality check: your individual opinion means nothing to big companies. Especially a company that is thinking 10+ years in the future. You can either support them by buying their products, or buy something else. Instead of talking crap about things you don’t like, support companies you do like. It’s toxic and disgusting what’s happening.

It’s a shame that someone in their 30s has to say it to people older than them, but grow the f*ck up. Be a positive change. Have some joy and positivity. Some optimism.

Also... how would that make any sense at all. You want to regulate LANGUAGE. Not just car tech.

“Let’s put a time limit on how long a company can work on improving new technology and new features. ‘You have 5 years to perfect a new thing’”

That’s the most ridiculous way I’ve ever heard to hold back humanity in any industry. Thinking like that will hold us back forever. Can’t wait for the younger generation to step into regulatory and government roles. To stop archaic thinking like that.
Somehow other companies manage to release products and update them periodically without using the Beta tag. Not all Tesla features are Beta. So why do they call some of their features Beta?

It's a way of implying limited liability and a fall-back in case of any issues. Look at other companies that apply Beta to a release, it comes with legal language defining their terms limiting their legal exposure.

Can they explain why some features are Beta and some are not Beta yet they all benefit equally from updates OTA as bug fixes or improvements get released.

Reactions: Bombegranate
Somehow other companies manage to release products and update them periodically without using the Beta tag. Not all Tesla features are Beta. So why do they call some of their features Beta?

It's a way of implying limited liability and a fall-back in case of any issues. Look at other companies that apply Beta to a release, it comes with legal language defining their terms limiting their legal exposure.

Can they explain why some features are Beta and some are not Beta yet they all benefit equally from updates OTA as bug fixes or improvements get released.
They have explained it! It’s constantly growing and changing. It will never be “done” but if they call it “unfinished” you guys will be in even more of an uproar.

Have you watched their AI day video? It explains everything. The process, the tech, everything.” They don’t need to word it in a “legal” way like YOU want.

The more I read posts and reply’s on this forum, that’s supposed to be about the most futuristic and forward thinking car on the market, the more shocked and worried I get about the future.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Everyone is selfishly complaining that things should be changed because they themselves don’t like something, pretending and using the excuse that it’s better for everyone.

People threatening to go to regulators because they don’t like something. That’s basically blackmail and extortion. A bunch of pouting and whining but grown adults. Usually on the older end of things which is even more pathetic. Tattling to daddy government because they don’t like something.

Reality check: your individual opinion means nothing to big companies. Especially a company that is thinking 10+ years in the future. You can either support them by buying their products, or buy something else. Instead of talking crap about things you don’t like, support companies you do like. It’s toxic and disgusting what’s happening.

It’s a shame that someone in their 30s has to say it to people older than them, but grow the f*ck up. Be a positive change. Have some joy and positivity. Some optimism.
Toxic positivity isn’t the solution to the issue either. Imagine everyone floods these forums with overly positive conversations about how great FSD is? First it’ll create a false perception for the new people who are considering onboarding for $12k and then yield higher disappointment.

It’s bad enough there are already influencers who fluff this as the best thing known to mankind despite the fact that it’s not finished, not ready, still very much beta… if not alpha. Because of them and Elon’s broken promises, the general public is always asking me if my car can drive itself. And then I’m stuck with two options, tell them no and disappoint them, or show them how bad it is and then bring negative attention to it. My significant other asks me to turn it off almost every time because it’s nauseating to her with the lane pinballing, phantom braking, random quick 90% brake lock ups before red lights that send your coffee onto your dash that then ease off and slowly come to a complete stop…. The list goes on…

FSD might one day be amazing, but it isn’t yet, and that needs to be made clear as day to carry on an accurate perception and accurate progress through the entire process of its evolution.

With your over-positivity, I hope you don’t take half cooked chicken off the stove and eat it saying how it’s so amazing and no one should complain about it.

And to close, I’ll leave you with this tweet.

Instead you have to read a person's honest (and completely accurate) assessment of FSD and think "This guy's a mastermind of the demise of a giant corporation". :rolleyes:
Or you could just think that he's frustrated and has, like so many people in a similar situation, gone way too far into the opposite extreme. There are, of course, some people who are over-enthusiastic and are apologists, just as are there are others who jump on every issue about Tesla as proof that the company and their products are the worst on the planet. Neither extreme is particularly rational, or useful.

I have not filed any complaint.
Video please so we can judge for ourselves.