Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The catastrophe of FSD and erosion of trust in Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it was introduced the promise of it was robotaxi's and you can't have robotaxi's unless its L4/L5. For quite a long time Elon kept saying how people could make money with their vehicles, and how it was an appreciating asset.

Then in 2019 Tesla shuffled around the EAP/FSD feature sets

Basic AP was added to the standard configuration of the vehicle and vehicle price went up by $2K
EAP was removed, and the remaining features in EAP was moved to FSD
The wording on the website was watered down
FSD pricing was set at $5K

All in all it gave the appearance like Tesla was walking away from any promise regarding unsupervised autonomous driving. That the best we could hope for is FSD L2 (unified stack FSD Beta), and just maybe an apology from Tesla for teasing us with that whole autonomous driving promise thing.

The problem with FSD L2 is it simply asks too much from a human being. We can't take all the responsibility for the driving while also not doing the driving task. We simply aren't equipped to do that.

FSD L2 is diabolical workaround for the biggest obstacle autonomous driving has. That obstacle is humans don't want to give kill allowances to robots. The workaround is to blame the humans behind the wheel for those deaths.

it hides it as long as no one takes a look, but the NHTSA has put a big microscope on it.

There is very much the feeling like L2 is just begging to have limits placed on it like the Europeans do.
All you are saying is that it's been harder than Tesla (or anyone else for that matter) originally anticipated to make autonomous driving work. I think everyone already knows that.

To the naysayers who routinely say it cannot be done, my questions is this: Then why is anyone trying? What's the point of FSD (L2), or Waymo (L4 and L5), Cruise, etc.?

A few years ago, we knew nothing about space travel - we had barely gotten satellites in orbit, and a US president said we'll land a man on the moon in 10 years. Many thought it would never happen - but it did - in just ten years! People laughed at the Wright Bros when try said they could get us a flying machine - they started research in 1899 and had the first flight in 1903 (4 years).

Those that say it will take 20+ years - how was our technology 20 years ago (the year 2000)? Push button phones and cell phones (Nokia and Motorola were kings), box computers with CRT box monitors. CPUs just hit 1Ghz. USB Flash drives were just released and had amazing storage of 128 megabytes.

Based on how fast technology is evolving, I doubt it'll take that long to get FSD working.

Are there any naysayers here?

There are L5 naysayers
There are L4 HW3 naysayers
There are Vision only naysayers
There are AI General Intelligence naysayers

But, autonomous driving naysayers? I'm not seeing anyone.

The problem with General Intelligence, and L5 is they rely on the uninvented. There basically "just add magic" fantasies. The most important thing to any solid goal is not to have any "insert magic here" bits.

There is also the society question and this is the one I really wonder about. Are there places outside of China that are really preparing its infrastructure, rule books, etc for autonomous driving technologies. Autonomous driving is only partly a technological problem.

Are there places outside of China that are really preparing its infrastructure, rule books, etc for autonomous driving technologies. Autonomous driving is only partly a technological problem.

I tend to think that the infrastructure changes that would help AVs will come once it becomes clear a scalable general solution at L4 is achieved.

Similar to how our electrical grid will adapt with more decentralized generation and storage when EVs reach critical mass.

Sometimes you need to create a chicken in order to have the egg.

All you are saying is that it's been harder than Tesla (or anyone else for that matter) originally anticipated to make autonomous driving work. I think everyone already knows that.

Everything has been talked about over, and over so I'd hope everyone already knows everything by now. :p

In any case the question I was responding to was whether Tesla promised autonomous driving. L2 FSD is NOT autonomous driving so I felt like it was an important question to answer.

If I interpret what you wrote as question:

There isn't anyone else because Tesla was the only one who sold it to consumers.
When you sell something then time is of the essence.
If you can't deliver then the right move is to apologize, and move on.
What Tesla did was change the promise for new buyers from autonomous driving to L2 semi-autonomous without any real acknowledgement that the goal had changed.

Tesla wants to have people believing the goal is still some form of unsupervised autonomous driving, but doesn't want to be held accountable to that.

Everything has been talked about over, and over so I'd hope everyone already knows everything by now. :p

In any case the question I was responding to was whether Tesla promised autonomous driving. L2 FSD is NOT autonomous driving so I felt like it was an important question to answer.

If I interpret what you wrote as question:

There isn't anyone else because Tesla was the only one who sold it to consumers.
When you sell something then time is of the essence.
If you can't deliver then the right move is to apologize, and move on.
What Tesla did was change the promise for new buyers from autonomous driving to L2 semi-autonomous without any real acknowledgement that the goal had changed.

Tesla wants to have people believing the goal is still some form of unsupervised autonomous driving, but doesn't want to be held accountable to that.
It was not a question. And the discussion of L2 vs Ln vs FSD is discussed multiple times per week here, so nothing new here either.

When browsing the "news" I came across an article on The Verge about AI day being moved to September 30th.

It was a pretty simple delay where Tesla wanted time to possibly show a working prototype of their robot. But, the author of this article couldn't help himself and used it as an opportunity to express his own distrust in everything Elon and Tesla related.

I do wonder whether FSD really has anything to do with the erosion of Trust in Tesla or if its really the fact that a lot of people are getting sick and tired of Musk.

Most of the expectations and letdowns with FSD are really driven by Elons tweets.

Reactions: KrenGrl
Can anyone find a reported AV collision that would have been prevented by infrastructure changes?

I'd be really surprised if there was because if I was an employee of an AV company I'd geofence out a problematic area.

FSD Beta is not an AV, but if we pretend it is then there are a bunch of post about crashes prevented by the human in areas where the FSD beta was confused because of bad road design.

We also know infrastructure plays a large role in human crashes. Things like short on-ramps with limited visibility or areas where humans get confused about what they're supposed to do.

Reducing ambiguity will help things for both AV designers, and humans.

We also need to improve the infrastructure to support more efficient traffic flow, and AV's are projected to lead to much more traffic.

Yet again tonight I was disappointed by how AP/NoA handles highway sideswipes by bad lane changers/inattentive drivers.
That is to say - it does absolutely nothing and I have to intervene hard and fast.
Nonetheless, it has frequently refused to pass someone and kept a slow speed if an adjacent lane is going a bit slower / car forward & right of me has a tire even near the lane line.

Tonight, for probably the 3rd time in my ownership of this car, I have had someone immediately next to me enter my lane & nearly sideswipe me while I am on AP. It seems like the cameras just does not notice cars if your front end has started to become parallel with their rear end.

Really reduces my confidence in the product and I hope is a reminder to everyone using it that you need to treat the car like a student driver, with your hands on wheel and foot above break at all times.

The latest update is going to take away exiting a freeway from European Teslas Auto Pilot....I’m guessing that this is because Mercedes don’t have this feature...

Or it could simply be because it's out side the scope of the current regulation.

If we were the regulators would we allow it?

Is the convenience of it worth the risk? The risk being that the driver is inattentive, and doesn't take over before the car enters an intersection?

I personally don't use that feature. Sure its neat, but I don't find it particularly useful. Usually I use the last mile to reacquaint myself to driving the car before the exit.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Or it could simply be because it's out side the scope of the current regulation.

If we were the regulators would we allow it?

Is the convenience of it worth the risk? The risk being that the driver is inattentive, and doesn't take over before the car enters an intersection?

I personally don't use that feature. Sure its neat, but I don't find it particularly useful. Usually I use the last mile to reacquaint myself to driving the car before the exit.
It’s just (probably) coincidental that France is about to introduce a L3 law based on the new German one which is tailor-made to fit Mercedes’ version of it’s L3...and now a Tesla feature (that has been in existence for a long time) is to be banned.

It’s just (probably) coincidental that France is about to introduce a L3 law based on the new German one which is tailor-made to fit Mercedes’ version of it’s L3...and now a Tesla feature (that has been in existence for a long time) is to be banned.
I wish we had more Europeans in this section to comment about how regulators and automotive companies work in Germany.

In my own interaction with Germans they tend to be extremely biased to Germany companies, and German made things. So I'm not surprised the least if regulations are written with a strong bias towards German companies.

It's not really that different in the US where sometimes entire bills are actually written by lobbyist paid for by corporations. Even our president should have company Logos on his suits.

I wish we had more Europeans in this section to comment about how regulators and automotive companies work in Germany.

In my own interaction with Germans they tend to be extremely biased to Germany companies, and German made things. So I'm not surprised the least if regulations are written with a strong bias towards German companies.

It's not really that different in the US where sometimes entire bills are actually written by lobbyist paid for by corporations. Even our president should have company Logos on his suits.
The new L3 law is so restrictive that it’s close to useless....freeway only at less than 35mph...no bridges, tunnels no nothing....but it’s not yet been made clear (to me at least) what happens in the event of an accident... will your insurance cover you? Will Mercedes take responsibility? Do the police care?

The new L3 law is so restrictive that it’s close to useless....freeway only at less than 35mph...no bridges, tunnels no nothing....but it’s not yet been made clear (to me at least) what happens in the event of an accident... will your insurance cover you? Will Mercedes take responsibility? Do the police care?
I wouldn't call that restrictive. Instead the intention of it is a traffic assist system, and there are lots of people including me that don't believe an L3 system will ever be released that's capable of freeway speeds. There is too much risk with the handoff. You'll find the same restrictions in Japan where Honda has pilot program going on.

With L3 Mercedes has to take responsibility as that's what makes it special.

As to the police that's going to be an interesting question. This is another reason why I wish we had more Europeans in this forum so they can provide information if something happens.

With L3 the finger pointing game is inevitable.

FSD as sold to customers prior to ~March 2019 was explicitly (at least) L4 by definition of capability. You could possibly argue L5.

FSD sold after that date was never promised by Tesla as more than L2.

This has been discussed and explained and sourced pretty exhaustively previously in this and other threads if you're unclear or unsure of the above being facts.
I remember. Thanks. It's just fuzzy to me where Tesla publishes that information specifically. I don't think there's any explicit separation of pre March 2019 FSD and post march 2019 FSD in what is shown in the software menu in the car(s).

I remember. Thanks. It's just fuzzy to me where Tesla publishes that information specifically. I don't think there's any explicit separation of pre March 2019 FSD and post march 2019 FSD in what is shown in the software menu in the car(s).

It's based on what you were shown during the purchase process.

What was shown to buyers at each point has been posted several times in the threads here if you want specific wording.... (there was a version pre 3/19 that promised L4 (at least), then one for a while after that had "end of year" wording on the city streets stuff...Tesla explicitly missed that deadline....and then there's been the "coming soon" wording for city streets that replaced it and is still there today)