Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The center armrest is too far back!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have this problem? When I put my arm on the center armrest, my hand goes over the edge. It's quite uncomfortable having your handfloating over the edge for long drives. I just wish it extended further towards the 17" screen and am hoping someone develops a full replacement armrest/center console that helps with this.

Last edited:
Yes, although I haven't received my MS yet, I noticed this in the showroom model and the test drive. It doesn't help that the front of the center armrest is where the cup holders are. Reaching for a cup was an awkward movement. I just figured I'll adjust to it. The ergonomics of the whole center area need work IMO. One of the disadvantages of being an early adopter.

I also find the armrests to be too far back.
I am considering replacing them with custom made armrests which would be about 2 inches longer. While I am at it I would probably make them with a little more cushion as well. The arm rests would hang over the back of the rear air vents those 2 extra inches when pushed back so the cup holders are usable but I think it is a trade off I am willing to make.

Seriously now, I'm glad TM did the short armrest which leaves that entire space open. My dog uses for in & out so no complaints here. Owners are free to build up from the floor hopper any design they like. Having a top surface for writing on a clipboard would be useful. Most cars have a huge console here that nobody is ever happy with anyway, but nothing can be done about due to shifters & brake levers. TM has given us total freedom here (sigh of relief).
--

Does anyone have this problem?
The center "armrest" is not usable as an armrest for me at all. The front end of it is about flush with the back of the seat.

Yes, I have fairly short legs.

I'm not sure what to call it if it's not an armrest. I've left it in "cupholder" position permanently.
(edit)
Of course, the cupholders are no good as cupholders -- I keep a large water bottle with a built-in straw in the open center space instead, and use the "cupholders" to hold small items which would roll around in the center space.

Even with the seat back a ways, I find the armrest is too far back to be comfortable for long. Too much of my arm hangs over the edge. The armrest is brutal hard too, almost no padding. I'm seriously considering having it redone after market.

Ditto. Just my opinion, but there's nothing to be lost by keeping two hands on the wheel when driving such a powerful car.
Maybe it's just me (well, I suppose not since I didn't start the thread), but driving 2-handed is tiring over a longer period of time. Shoulders get tired.

Driving around town, yea, always 2 on the wheel. That 7 miles stretch on the highway though is mostly one handed. Stop and go crawling traffic, that's one handed as well.