Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The chromed bits on my S have the measles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stevezzzz

R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR;YLR
Nov 13, 2009
Colorado
I'm seeing splotches on my car's chromed parts that don't wash or rub off. The manager at my detailer pointed the problem out to me and said he thinks it's due to the magnesium chloride they use on the roads after a snowstorm; it seems plausible, since only the chromed parts down low and on the rear end are affected (the big chromed rings around the side windows are fine). Anyone else seen this, or have suggestions about removing the spots?

20130503-_DSC1068.jpg

So, Todd, what you're saying is that my detailer is either lazy or incompetent? :biggrin:

Thanks for the link. Why have I never seen this on my other cars? I've lived in this state for 35 years.

So, Todd, what you're saying is that my detailer is either lazy or incompetent? :biggrin:

Thanks for the link. Why have I never seen this on my other cars? I've lived in this state for 35 years.

Maybe check with your city dept that uses the road chemicals. They may have switched suppliers/chemixes. If so there might be others complaining to the local paper and the city as well.

Try Arrow Magnolia Aero Glaze. It should remove the oxidation or deposits or whatever they are. you just rub it on, scrub a bit (won't scratch anything), let it dry, then rub it off. Use a microfiber towel. I use it to polish the chrome bits on my Escalade Hybrid.... i mean uh ... my Yukon. Oh yeah, stuff works great on airplanes too...

Arrow Magnolia Aero Glaze

Minimum order qty. is 4 gallons!?

I'm seeing splotches on my car's chromed parts that don't wash or rub off. The manager at my detailer pointed the problem out to me and said he thinks it's due to the magnesium chloride they use on the roads after a snowstorm; it seems plausible, since only the chromed parts down low and on the rear end are affected (the big chromed rings around the side windows are fine). Anyone else seen this, or have suggestions about removing the spots?

View attachment 21548

I live in Denver and frequently drive to the mountains for skiing. Colorado and Denver both use Mag-Chloride to keep the roads from icing. Modern cars are using chromed plastic parts rather than chrome metal parts. These new parts are susceptible to staining by the Mag-Chloride. This staining apparently goes sub surface and seems to be permanent. I have tried just about everything to remove the stains on my Lexus RX to no avail. One source suggested giving the parts a good coating with wax and always wiping the car down after driving on roads with Mag-Chloride. I haven't tried the Arrow Magnolia Aero Glaze, where can one get this product? TIA, RNG

There is a product the I use on my Harley's chrome parts that seems to work wonders with chrome staining. It's called Semi-Chrome and it's sold in a yellow tube in a yellow box.

http://www.amazon.com/Simichrome-Metal-Polish/dp/B00BSJYQ9S

Jeff

From the reviews, people love this stuff, but they do warn that it strips a layer of metal. I'd be worried about losing my Signature badging at the very least, and the rest of the plating, too, for that matter.

From the reviews, people love this stuff, but they do warn that it strips a layer of metal. I'd be worried about losing my Signature badging at the very least, and the rest of the plating, too, for that matter.

I can safely say that I have never had a problem using the product and I have used it all over my bikes chrome to get rid of all types of spots and stains. That being said, I certainly would tell you to use it in a less obvious place first. Either way I just wanted to throw it out there as an option.

Jeff

I can safely say that I have never had a problem using the product and I have used it all over my bikes chrome to get rid of all types of spots and stains. That being said, I certainly would tell you to use it in a less obvious place first. Either way I just wanted to throw it out there as an option.

Jeff

And I forgot to thank you for the tip. So: thanks!

I have used Semichrome and it works well on just about everything except Mag chloride stains. It will remove the most recent stains if used immediately, but not older stains. Contacted SkyGeek about their products which someone mentioned above. Here are there comments:

Thank you for your inquiry. We have not had to deal with Mag Chloride stains before, so we are somewhat guessing. The best product we have for preventing stains is ReJex. You can read about it at the link below and you might want to do more research as well. I am sorry we couldn't give you a better answer, but I have never had anyone who was unhappy with this product:
http://www.skygeek.com/rejex.html

Then:

Hi Katy,
Thanks for the rejex referral, I may try that. But first I would like to see if I can find something that will remove the Mag Chloride stains from the chrome finished plastic parts so many new vehicles come with. Can you offer any suggestions for that?
I am happy to experiment on one of my vehicles if you have something you think might work. Just send me a small sample and I will try it.
Thanks,
Richard

Reply:

Unfortunately I do not have samples on these products. I am also not as familiar with the polishes. The Flitz polish says it
Easily Removes: Tarnish, Rust, Water Stains, Chalking, Lime Deposits, Heat Discoloration, Lead & Powder Residue, Oxidation, Bugs, Tar, Oil, Fingerprints, Tree Sap, Bird Droppings, Graffiti, Dyes, Black Streaks/Scuff Marks.
I sounds like it would help with what you are dealing with, and it does come in a 5.29 oz tube so you don't have to buy a vat to find out if it works. Your can see it here:

http://www.skygeek.com/flitz-plastic-fiberglass-polish-paste.html

Has anyone used any of these products? On Mag Chloride stains?

TIA,
RNG

Regarding removing Mag-Chloride stains on chrome: Lloyd sent me a sample of the Rejex product. It worked beautifully on the plastic chrome piece on the Lexus for everything except the Mag-Chloride. Best suggestions so far are 1. Give the chrome plastic pieces a very good coating of wax prior to the snow season, keep it up, and clean the pieces as quickly as possible when the car has been out in the snow treated with the Mag Chloride. 2. Clear bra the chrome plastic pieces (not the most practical). I will keep looking for other ideas. Thanks, RNG

- - - Updated - - -

I have used Semi Chrome on my collector cars and it works great, but it does nothing on Mag Chloride stains. Unfortunately. Thanks, RNG