Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Clunk: What's the Worst That Can Happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
FACTS:
  • 2013 Model S 85kWh
  • 106000 miles
  • This is the 5th drive unit on this car -- last one Tesla put in back in Aug 2017 by surprise (I had never reported any issues, they just up and did it while my car was in for an annual service check); they replaced the 1st one within weeks of purchase due to very loud noise at ~70mph back in 2013; 2nd one put in about year later; 3rd and 4th were the "cicada" type sounds, which they decided to fix by replacing with yet more drive units.
  • This new Clunk sound started in left rear axle/wheel area about 2 weeks ago
  • Initially very occasional
  • Each day it's gotten a tiny bit worse: more frequent, louder, more complex a sound
  • My driving is routine, local, doing-errands like post office, etc,. about ~25mi per day.
  • Sound happens in direct correlation with gentle acceleration and gently going into regen
  • Basically if the car has any gentle G-force backward or forward, good chance a Clunk will happen
  • Happens at even parking lot/driveway speeds
  • If I roll down rear left window, I can hear the Clunk very clearly coming from left rear wheel well area
  • I have not yet rigged up a digital recorder and placed it in various locations and then done tests to find the loudest location, but plan to

MORE FACTS:
  • I live in a state without any service centers whatsoever
  • My car's Extended Service Agreement expired at 100K mi
  • I think I read somewhere on TMC recently that Tesla says tough luck if you ask for a mobile tech to come out outside warranty
  • I fear I will have to drive to Denver or El Paso (4-8 hours), book a hotel, and wait for car to get fixed
  • Also concerned that there are no more loaners, or free Enterprise rentals, at service centers, just Lyft, which is like a slap in the face after already being screwed but I digress

AND NOW THE QUESTIONS:
  • How bad is this? Is it a mere annoyance, or could it suggest something serious?
  • How bad could it get?
  • Will the drive unit eventually seize or something?
  • Could this be more of a suspension issue or other non-drive-unit issue?
  • I know The Clunk has been discussed ten zillion times but everyone's situation seems different: what should I do?
  • I have a 125 mile drive tomorrow that I have to do -- any chance the car could become undrivable?
  • I'm trying to ascertain how long this progressively-worsening Clunk situation could get? Any ideas?

Last edited:
...something serious?

Since you guided us into your clues of drive unit problem, so I don't think it's a baseball rolling around your car.

...Will the drive unit eventually seize or something?...

I would speculate that the worst would happen is your tires won't move even you can still get your motor running which will need a tow.

...Could this be more of a suspension issue or other non-drive-unit issue?...

Could be but they would sound differently and won't coincide with your accelerator.

...what should I do?...

You should drive your car to a Service Center. Your drive unit is guaranteed for 8 years or infinity miles whichever comes first, so you are covered.

...I have a 125 mile drive tomorrow that I have to do -- any chance the car could become undrivable?...

Of course! It might be undrivable at unpredictable time but Tesla should pick up the tow due guaranteed for 8 years or infinity miles whichever comes first to drive unit warranty.

...I'm trying to ascertain how long this progressively-worsening Clunk situation could get? Any ideas?

No idea. It's unpredictable but it will need a tow at some point if you don't drive it to a Service Center.

You should drive your car to a Service Center. Your drive unit is guaranteed for 8 years or infinity miles whichever comes first, so you are covered.

I don't think so -- this is what has me worried.

2012 and 2013 Model S's have no language in their warranty booklets about drive units being covered for 8 yrs/unlimited miles. Just the battery.

To my knowledge, Tesla only added the 8yr/unlim mile thing to the drive unit, in addition to the battery, starting around 2014 once they'd made some changes to the drive unit.

I think I am deeply screwed. I fear this little Clunk is gonna cost me $5000 or more. Plus who the hell knows how much Tesla will hit me for for labor etc.

Call Tesla and have them do some diagnostics. Some problems can be diagnosed remotely.

As for the warranty, here is what's currently stated on the website:

The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:
  • Model S and Model X – 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015, which is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first).
Vehicle Warranty

So, I think your drive unit is still covered!

Last edited:
Yes I just checked my old emails -- here's one from August 14, 2014 announcing retroactve warranty for older drive units....

Hopefully this is gonna work and service won't find another way to screw me....

du8yr.png

Reactions: DriveMe
I don't think so -- this is what has me worried.

2012 and 2013 Model S's have no language in their warranty booklets about drive units being covered for 8 yrs/unlimited miles. Just the battery.

To my knowledge, Tesla only added the 8yr/unlim mile thing to the drive unit, in addition to the battery, starting around 2014 once they'd made some changes to the drive unit.

I think I am deeply screwed. I fear this little Clunk is gonna cost me $5000 or more. Plus who the hell knows how much Tesla will hit me for for labor etc.

You're in warranty, however, if you were not in warranty, I would regrease/pack the halfshafts and spline. if it continues, replace them with salvage ones.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Did a 135 miles worth of driving today. The clunk has become a double-clunk upon acceleration, and single clunk when regenning.
Happens even moving in driveways/parking lots and 1-5 mph. Clunks are louder than ever. Concern level higher than ever.
I guess I begin the process of seeking Tesla service tomorrow. I'm going to document the experience here. I truly hope it is smooth, uneventful, and that communications work surprisingly well, with expectations managed professionally and courteously throughout the experience. We'll see.

Been waiting since pre-dawn for Tesla Service to show up in the driveway. The appointment is supposedly 6:30-8:30am today.

I feel like a chump sitting in my car waiting for service to show up. I gotta figure I’m the first appointment of the day. If Tesla cared, they would send me a message letting me know approximately when he’s going to show up.

If he shows up. If he does not I’m not going to be a happy camper.

He’s got 39 minutes and counting.

The good news is, the mobile service tech just called.

The bad news is he apparently just got on the road (!!!!!!!!!) and won’t show until 20 minutes after the end of the appointment time. Surprise, surprise!

All this bs just to tell me the car needs a new drive unit and has to be sent to a service center.

That’s it. I’m going to have breakfast.

Update:

Mobile tech showed up. Can't ever complain about mobile techs, they walk on water. My frustrations are always with Tesla corporate, with management.

Anyways, he checked and heard the sound and immediately thought, not drive unit, but axle nuts or something. So he removed, cleaned (they were a tiny bit rusty), and re-torqued the axle nuts on rear wheels and sound is gone now. Hooray!

Also made some other little fixes and the bill was $97.

All is good. No drive unit problem, no hotel reservation, not driving to a service center 5-8 hours away. So all is cause for celebration.

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH

So there I am sitting in the car in the driveway waiting for the mobile tech this morning, for an 8:30am appointment, which Tesla had made on its end, to re-diagnose the problem since the Clunk sound continues even after the mobile tech's visit last week.

No sign of mobile tech this morning.

I texted his cell number at 9am. A few minutes later, he calls. He says he knows nothing of an appointment with me this morning. "I just go by what's in the system, and you're not in the system." AAAAAAAARRRRGGHHHH.

I told him I suspected there was some kind of screwup because I got none of the "courtesy reminder" automated text messages from Tesla all week like I did last week. And no emails reminding me to be at the house at 8:30 today. So he said he'd look into it and call me back.

Ten minutes later he calls back and says the appointment was made on Sept 16 (yes, correct -- it was made by Tesla) and then ONE HOUR LATER it was CANCELLED! I told him, who cancelled it!? It sure as hell wasn't me! He doesn't know. Obviously, Tesla cancelled it without telling me. Can you believe this company!?

What an effing bunch of effing amateurs. I cannot believe this effing company sometimes.