Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The coming Tesla cash cow and the short burn of the century

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree that’s what should be happening, but again, going by Tesla’s numbers, each quarter since the M3 rollout is marked by both higher M3 production and lower Gross Profit.

Each quarter they have accrued more line cost due to payments due on installed equipment (overall increase in fixed costs) faster than production has increased.
Line payments have ended, I believe, and volume is still increasing. Q1 call indicated target depreciation per car is 2k, if that is at the 10k/ week rate, then running at 800/wk (Q1 '18)is a $25k burden per car. If the 2k number is at the 5k rate, Q1 burden was 12.5k/car.

You also should not base trends on really small numbers:
Model 3 production numbers:
Q3 '17: 260
Q4 '17: 2,425
Q1 '18: 9,766
So the most recent number is based on a total production which has likely already been surpassed for this quarter, and is projected to be 2 weeks of production in H2 '18.

@jbcarioca To quote another poster: I am in violent agreement with you. SvC needed to ramp up to support the 3 volume. Additionally, vehicles are going out of warranty, which will increase service revenue (or increase utilization/ reduce cost given the desire for service to not be a profit center).

Reactions: bhzmark
Yes, I should have said that too. After all the Bob Lutz thesis is that per unit actual manufacturing cost exceeds retail selling price, so even more restrictive than BOM. reading the SEC filings one can only conclude that it would take pretty advanced fraud to have that actually be happening.

There is another category that is often used, Services just as our own SS says. For that one, though one must forget that Superchargers are now producing direct revenue via grid services and pay-per-use. Also, forget that Tesla body shops are opening that are revenue generators from day one. Then there are other factors.

They do not often mention TE anymore, but even that is positive cash flow now.

What will Bob Lutz and SS do when 4th quarter closes?

Luckily tall buildings have changes since 1929 so they mostly have hermetically closed windows. Thus the SS's will live to rue the day.
Again - Everything you are saying is what should be happening. However the numbers are saying the opposite. Each passing quarter comes with both more cars produced and sold along with higher losses.

Do you consider Elon incompetent or a fraud?

It seems like it has to be one of those two for your theory to work.
I think he’s a blend of the two. On the competence side, I think he’s obviously a smart guy, but he’s in over his head. I don’t think he’s a fraud, though he has a history of making predictions that don’t come true, often preceding capital raises.

Alright guys, help me out with my thinking here.

The key figure in Q1 earnings that was overlooked is how operating expenses are barely increasing.

Q1 2018 operating expenses = $1.05B

Compared to a year ago Q1 2017 = $925M

So in the course of a year, Tesla’s quarterly operating expenses grew just $125M. And this is while going from zero model 3s per week last year to 2000 model 3s per week at end of Q1.

View attachment 298785

So it looks like scaling Model 3 production ramp has little do to with operating expenses. The ramp consists of capital expenditures, which affects cash flow and affects cost of revenue as depreciation over x years. The ramp also costs of hiring labor to assemble/oversee production. However, this cost is also included in the cost of revenue and not operating expenses.

So, to make this simple we can divide Tesla into two parts… but this is just for a thought exercise. Tesla CORE is the part of Tesla that goes into the operating expenses, namely R&D and SG&A. According to Tesla, this is as follows:

Research and development (“R&D”) expenses consist primarily of personnel costs for our teams in engineering and research, manufacturing engineering and manufacturing test organizations, prototyping expense, contract and professional services and amortized equipment expense.

Selling, general and administrative (“SG&A”) expenses consist primarily of personnel and facilities costs related to our stores, marketing, sales, executive, finance, human resources, information technology and legal organizations, as well as fees for professional and contract services and litigation settlements.

Ok, so let’s call this Tesla CORE and this makes up 100% of operating expenses.

Let’s call the second part of Tesla, Tesla MANUFACTURING. Now Tesla manufacturing consists of all the folks working at the factory assembling cars and overseeing the production.

(Note: there are other parts of Tesla like Tesla SERVICE and Tesla ENERGY) which would include service center folks, but we won’t talk about that at the moment.)

So, here’s what’s going on. Model 3 ramps from zero/week to 2000/week in the course of a year (Q1 2017 to Q1 2018), and operating expenses stay relatively flat (increase just 13.5%). What this shows is that in order to ramp Model 3 production, Tesla CORE doesn’t need to increase in size (or just a tiny bit). All the people Tesla is hiring to ramp production of the Model 3 go into Tesla MANUFACTURING and their associated costs are factored in to cost of revenue for auto sales.

So why is this important?

As Model 3 revenue scales and gross margins incase, the gross profit will soon offset operating costs. Once that happens, it’s difficult for me to see how Tesla CANNOT become increasingly profitable in quarters to come because gross profit will grow substantially as revenue grows, but operating expenses will increase only a little.

Even with Model Y ramp in 2010, most all the spending will go into capital expenditures and not operating expenses. The capex gets depreciated over x years under cost of revenue. So, Tesla will remain very profitability even during Model Y ramp.

The key to Tesla is basically this…

Tesla has got to reach a point where their gross profit (margin from revenue) can cover their Tesla CORE expenses (which are operating expenses). Currently they are about $1.05B per quarter. In addition to this Tesla needs about $75M per quarter (Tesla has about $150M in interest expense, but about $75M in net loss attributable to non-controlling interests that are added to their profit).

So Tesla needs about $1.125B per quarter to cover their costs. If they can get there, then they can eek out a profit. But once they get there, as Model 3 revenue and gross profit ramps, the profit will only grow.

So how and when does Tesla get to a point where they can cover the $1.125B in Tesla CORE expenses (plus interest expense)?

If Tesla can sell ~25,000 Model S/X cars for roughly $2.5B and with a gross margin of 27%, they can have $625M gross profit.

And if Tesla can sell 65,000 Model 3 (13 weeks of 5,000 cars production, average selling price of $50k), that would be $3.25B and with a gross margin of 18%, that would be $585M is gross profit.

So $625M + $585M = $1.21B in gross profit, which will cover the $1.125B in operating expenses and interest expense. Net profit of $85M.

Now this is just the beginning.

As production ramps from 5000 to 10000 Model 3s/week, the numbers only get better… and this is all because operating expenses aren’t increasing much while gross profit is rapidly increasing due to rapidly increasing revenue.

At an average of 7000 Model 3/week (for 13 weeks, average selling price of $47k), here’s what it looks like:

Revenue = $4.78B
If gross margin increases to 22%, then gross profit would be $941M.
Add on the $625M in gross profit from Model S/X.
That equals $1.566B in gross profit.
Let’s say operating expenses have increased $100M from Q1 2018 (assuming this quarter is Q1 2019), then operating expenses and interest expense would be $1.225M.
Net profit is 341M.

So let’s say Q3 2018 squeeks out a profit, and Q4 2018 Tesla reaching $85M in profit, and Q1 2019 Tesla reaching 341M in profit.

Now it really gets better.

Let’s say Tesla reaching 10,000 Model 3s/week by end of 2019 (average selling price $45k, over 12 weeks).
Revenue would be $5.4B
If gross margin reaches 25%, then gross profit about be $1.35B.
Add on the $625M in gross profit from Model S/X.
That equals $1.975B in gross profit.
Let’s say operating expenses have increased $100M from Q1 2019, then operating expenses and interest expense would be $1.325M.
Net profit is 650M.

650M profit in Q4 2019. That’s not for the year, that’s just for a quarter. So, annual profit run rate would be $2.6B a year.

Can you imagine if Tesla reported Q4 2018 with $650M profit, and then guided for over $3B in profit in 2020?

Anyway, case in point.

We are at a historic turning point in Tesla’s history.

Most everyone is missing what’s going on.

Once Tesla is able to cover their operating expenses, it’s welcome to Tesla the cash cow.

And this turning point is going to happen in Q3 of this year, according to Elon.

Thus the reason for Elon’s tweet this morning, “short burn of the century coming soon”. Now, I don’t think we can predict exactly when and how the stock will react to things. All I know is that if Tesla continues to execute as they have been doing, Tesla become increasingly profitable every quarter… until they’re making billions of dollars in profit in 2020.

It’s going to be fun ride.

Love this post.

My one concern is that since Tesla probably slowed down operating expense growth with the Model 3 ramp difficulties, looking at Q1 2018 does not give us a good enough feel for the reality.

Reactions: GleanerC
Love this post.

My one concern is that since Tesla probably slowed down operating expense growth with the Model 3 ramp difficulties, looking at Q1 2018 does not give us a good enough feel for the reality.

In the shareholder letter they predicted that OpEx increase for the next four quarters will be the same as for the past four (non-GAAP):

Quarterly non-GAAP operating expenses should grow sequentially at approximately the same rate as in the past four quarters, with our gross profit expected to grow much faster than our operating expenses. Tesla - Current Report

GAAP OpEx grew 14% in Q1 2018 compared to Q1 2017. I haven't backed out non-GAAP numbers but these figures put some meat on the bones of their plan to have revenues and gross profits increase much faster than OpEx, resulting in significant profits and cash flow. I agree that Q1, by itself, is not enough to prove they can achieve this goal but hopefully we will see the trend continue and accelerate in Q2.

As production ramps from 5000 to 10000 Model 3s/week, the numbers only get better… and this is all because operating expenses aren’t increasing much while gross profit is rapidly increasing due to rapidly increasing revenue.

Reading between the lines from the 2018 Q1 Shareholder letter and conference call, it sounds like the plan to 10K M3 vehicles/week is on hold at best. Elon talked about ramping up/fixing individual lines (there are at least a few, maybe several) to fix bottlenecks, but he didn't ever mention the 10K/week goal. Right now just getting to 5K or 6K is a challenge, and perhaps they'll revisit their larger expansion plans after they reach that. It sounded, for instance, that not only is Model Y not going to have GA in Fremont, but that Model 3 beyond 5K-6K will need another GA line somewhere as well. That's going to require Capex, which to me means they need to get to profitability to have the cash flow to fund that expansion, since they've shut and locked the door on capital raises this year.

• Disagree
Reactions: Manton and lklundin
Reading between the lines from the 2018 Q1 Shareholder letter and conference call, it sounds like the plan to 10K M3 vehicles/week is on hold at best. Elon talked about ramping up/fixing individual lines (there are at least a few, maybe several) to fix bottlenecks, but he didn't ever mention the 10K/week goal. Right now just getting to 5K or 6K is a challenge, and perhaps they'll revisit their larger expansion plans after they reach that. It sounded, for instance, that not only is Model Y not going to have GA in Fremont, but that Model 3 beyond 5K-6K will need another GA line somewhere as well. That's going to require Capex, which to me means they need to get to profitability to have the cash flow to fund that expansion, since they've shut and locked the door on capital raises this year.

Disagree, from reading on the lines:
We continue to target Model 3 production of approximately 5,000 per week in about two months, although our prior experience has demonstrated the difficulty of accurately forecasting specific production rates at specific points in time because of the exponential nature of the ramp.
Once we hit the 5,000 per week milestone, we intend to incorporate our learnings to continue to increase output on our existing manufacturing lines beyond 5,000 units per week, and then in a capital efficient manner to add incremental capacity to ultimately get to a 10,000 unit weekly rate.

This calculation stops at 10k/week (500k/year). Elon has stated in the past that Fremont may be capable of 1M/year. In the last earnings call he revealed that Model Y wouldn’t be built in Fremont, and would only be produced in 2020.
IMO, that leaves room (both in time and in space) to increase the Fremont Model 3 production from 10K/week to 20K/week, somewhere in the 2019/2020 timeframe.

• Informative
Reactions: Manton
Once we hit the 5,000 per week milestone, we intend to incorporate our learnings to continue to increase output on our existing manufacturing lines beyond 5,000 units per week, and then in a capital efficient manner to add incremental capacity to ultimately get to a 10,000 unit weekly rate.

OK, but not even Musk is saying 10K/week by end of 2018 anymore. Here's what he said last year: (
What people should absolutely have zero concern about, and I mean 0, is that Tesla will achieve a 10,000 unit production week by the end of next year. […] I think people should really not have any concerns that we won’t reach that outcome from a production rate.”
- from Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk has ‘zero doubt’ about 10,000 units per week in 2018, corrects reservation tally