Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The competition is coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is zero competition now or ever, until they get their nationwide reliable fast charging network. Until then, there is only two choices 1) Tesla or 2)buy an EV for a commuter car only.
Pat
I think there's a good amount of people that use their EV for commuting only.

In my situation, I would much rather drive our hybrid SUV than MYLR for long trips (better ride, quiet, run-flats, gas station wait-times, etc.), which only happens maybe 1-2x a year.

Reactions: E90alex
From the Lexus website it doesn't appear that the yoke steering from their prototypes is an option. That would be perhaps the only outstanding feature the RZ would have since it's supposed to be a real yoke with dynamic steering ratios (unlike Tesla's yoke shaped steering wheel). I think they should equip every RZ with that yoke and advertise the hell out of it in hopes of selling a few of them.

From the Lexus website it doesn't appear that the yoke steering from their prototypes is an option. That would be perhaps the only outstanding feature the RZ would have since it's supposed to be a real yoke with dynamic steering ratios (unlike Tesla's yoke shaped steering wheel). I think they should equip every RZ with that yoke and advertise the hell out of it in hopes of selling a few of them.
Lexus sells to mostly geriatric people that like basic technology and fear change. The yoke would be a deterrent rather than an attraction.

Reactions: cusetownusa
There is zero competition now or ever, until they get their nationwide reliable fast charging network. Until then, there is only two choices 1) Tesla or 2)buy an EV for a commuter car only.
Pat

I could swear that I've driven my Kona on weekends. I even seem to recall driving to Saratoga Springs, NY in 2021*, WRJ, VT** and Charlottetown, PE in 2022*** and using it on the island while I was there.
I believe we've used 13 different DCFC locations.

However, we have been constrained and taken our Volt on a longer trip when we thought we were going to a charging desert.

But even an in-range or network-constrained EV isn't just a commuter. The average leisure trip is well within range of a long-range BEV. We've had a number of 200+ mile day-trips without having to stop to charge.

* Easier now as Saratoga Springs added a 4-stall fast DCFC.
** Easier now, as we traveled via Littleton, NH and there's a dealer with a 50kW DCFC in Gorham, NH. We hedged and topped up in Farmington, ME, but would have been able to wait and found we didn't need to top up.
*** Easier now, as new pairs of DCFCs have opened in Newport, ME and Bangor, ME. ****
**** Do you see a trend?

Reactions: E90alex
Tesla’s biggest threat is from, wait for it, Tesla. Their poor customer service and lack of respect for their customers is driving many Tesla owners to other brands, even though those brands are not as mature. I look forward to the day that Tesla feels the impact of competition and starts to care about its customers post-sale.
It’s also starting to get to the saturation point in some areas where there’s *so many* Teslas now that people simply don’t want the same car as every other car on the road, even if on paper Tesla is objectively the best option. I look forward to seeing more variety of EVs on the road.

Pat
Most people don’t venture far outside of their metro area. Maybe once or twice a year to visit relatives on holidays.

While a reliable nationwide DCFC network is certainly important to have especially for people that live in smaller cities or rural areas, it’s not of something most EV drivers currently use on a day to day basis.

Most people don’t venture far outside of their metro area. Maybe once or twice a year to visit relatives on holidays.

While a reliable nationwide DCFC network is certainly important to have especially for people that live in smaller cities or rural areas, it’s not of something most EV drivers currently use on a day to day basis.
I agree. I have 25,000 miles and never a road trip, I fly when I travel. ✈️

I think there's a good amount of people that use their EV for commuting only.

In my situation, I would much rather drive our hybrid SUV than MYLR for long trips (better ride, quiet, run-flats, gas station wait-times, etc.), which only happens maybe 1-2x a year.
I would agree as well. The only non-Tesla EV that could be feasible for long trips is the Lucid. Matt Farah from the Smoking Tire drove from LA to Vegas in one and said you can legit drive 300 miles at 90MPH. At that point, you'd probably reach your destination or be ready for a nights rest. Find a hotel with a L2 charger and then get most of those miles back by mid to late morning.

Reactions: bobbyjae