Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The coolest thing I learned from attending model 3 delivery (in the referral program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

buttershrimp

Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode
Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2017
ATX
Autopilot in the car on the test rides were deactivated though our driver did attempt to engage... I noticed something on the display that was really cool. So I pressed the T on the touchscreen a few times to look at the future software update which is 2017.30 and a long long number.

The very very cool part is that the lane lines and other vehicles on the model 3 car speedometer/display were EXTREMELY accurate and fast and was even showing parked cars even as you turn!!!

So for instance, the model 3 driver pulled right while facing the drop off zone where other model 3s were located... the display instantly shows stationary vehicles like it was on rapid fire... it was soooo cool! Like Blips on a radar screen. me realize they are absolutely holding stuff back from us on the AP2 releases.

The other stuff I learned is along the lines of everything else on the forum... the steering wheel adjusts via the dials on the steering wheel...

Attending the event was truly exciting. I was really happy and glad I went. Referral program head spoke to us and promised very cool unique adventures unlocked at secret levels.

The energy was tremendous there... and for what it's worth, I was extremely impressed by the model 3 interior and exterior... even the side mirrors were really neat and tighter... couldn't tell much riding in the front seat about how it drove, but the touchscreen is topnotch and glove compartment and comfort is improved.

I'm currently flying back to austin, very hungover and have a dumb grin on my face. You guys are going to love the model 3...

Good info! Trevor from Model3Owners mentioned the scrollwheels: side to side they act as microswitches (those are the arrows you see on the steering wheel) and are used for some settings in the menu: one of them is the steering wheel adjustment you mention. Very cool it sounds!

The software (firmware) rev sounds like the new standard of year.week.git number; 17.30 is this week, so that's definitely in line with a current release. Have to see if that rolls out to the S and X (and if any of the owners of the 3 registers it on ev-fw!). I assume it can take Model 3 data?

Current stats:

upload_2017-7-29_14-40-3.png

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I got the impression that the steering wheel thing is really neat sensation as you are holding the steering wheel.

I really wish I would have taken a photo of the firmware release definitely looked like 2017.30 or 17.30 then very very long suffix ... I bet very few people noticed the lane line tracking and other cars on the display on the demo car rides... people are going to be blown away by how rapid the detection of vehicles is on the screen... it's literally as fast as drumming your fingers on the desk fast... it must be how it will eventually track parking spaces and merging. it actually made me think that FSD could be possible much sooner than I anticipated, maybe a year or less.

Reactions: cdub and zmarty
I got the impression that the steering wheel thing is really neat sensation as you are holding the steering wheel.

I really wish I would have taken a photo of the firmware release definitely looked like 2017.30 or 17.30 then very very long suffix ... I bet very few people noticed the lane line tracking and other cars on the display on the demo car rides... people are going to be blown away by how rapid the detection of vehicles is on the screen... it's literally as fast as drumming your fingers on the desk fast... it must be how it will eventually track parking spaces and merging. it actually made me think that FSD could be possible much sooner than I anticipated, maybe a year or less.
It was longer than six digits? Then it was really weird... :) Glad to hear AP is that much better and different in tracking objects, also!

It was longer than six digits? Then it was really weird... :) Glad to hear AP is that much better and different in tracking objects, also!
Definitely longer than 6 digits but it could have been some sort of pre release testing firmware that somehow aligns with the 2017.30 . .. there has to be something different that allowed them to deactivate autopilot so it couldn't be engaged last night on the rides

Definitely longer than 6 digits but it could have been some sort of pre release testing firmware that somehow aligns with the 2017.30 . .. there has to be something different that allowed them to deactivate autopilot so it couldn't be engaged last night on the rides
Gotcha... definitely a beta/demo run then. Perhaps in QA and will roll out soon. Hope all the cars get that one soon!

There are reports also that the 17.28.c528869 also shows up as 2017.28... and converts itself to 17.28..... The new format may be working some bugs in the naming convention out as we go....

Code:
root@# cat /usr/deploy/platform.ver              
version=17.28.27-U
root@# cat /usr/tesla/UI/bin/developerVersion.txt
c528869
Interesting. There was a post that it really is 27 and then some patch overlays it to get the 528869 version. Looks like that is correct.

We'll have to see future releases to find out if we return to 'plain' numbers or not.

You are absolutely right. I went back and watched some of the HD videos and you can tell the car tracking is much improved.

(starts around 9:14)

Also I noticed that the toy car is positioned a lot higher on the Y axis on the road canvas. Perhaps this is the first indication we'll eventually see the IC render cars behind us using the rear facing cameras?

Very cool!!! Your video brings it back to life and I see myself sitting on the couch on one your videos... so that proves it wasn't all a dream!

Did you do more than one test ride? or did you ever catch any video trying to access the easter egg menu? That's where I saw the software version, but it's interesting... the screen wouldn't stick on the page with the vin and firmware version very long, maybe 1 or 2 seconds... and te easter egg menu kept popping up before you could make out the numbers... I had to hit it about 7 times to make out the 2017.30

• Love
Reactions: Sluggabed and cdub
Autopilot in the car on the test rides were deactivated though our driver did attempt to engage... I noticed something on the display that was really cool. So I pressed the T on the touchscreen a few times to look at the future software update which is 2017.30 and a long long number.

The very very cool part is that the lane lines and other vehicles on the model 3 car speedometer/display were EXTREMELY accurate and fast and was even showing parked cars even as you turn!!!

So for instance, the model 3 driver pulled right while facing the drop off zone where other model 3s were located... the display instantly shows stationary vehicles like it was on rapid fire... it was soooo cool! Like Blips on a radar screen. me realize they are absolutely holding stuff back from us on the AP2 releases.

The other stuff I learned is along the lines of everything else on the forum... the steering wheel adjusts via the dials on the steering wheel...

Attending the event was truly exciting. I was really happy and glad I went. Referral program head spoke to us and promised very cool unique adventures unlocked at secret levels.

The energy was tremendous there... and for what it's worth, I was extremely impressed by the model 3 interior and exterior... even the side mirrors were really neat and tighter... couldn't tell much riding in the front seat about how it drove, but the touchscreen is topnotch and glove compartment and comfort is improved.

I'm currently flying back to austin, very hungover and have a dumb grin on my face. You guys are going to love the model 3...

I wonder if some of this is related to an MCU / other hardware update in the M3 vs the S?