Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The correct method to escape from the falcon wing door of Model X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_9123.JPG IMG_9127.JPG IMG_9129.JPG IMG_9142.JPG IMG_9143.JPG IMG_9145.JPG
Thanks Xiao Ma Ge

Not trying to hijack the post, but I would like to share my DIY extension latch to open the FWD in emergency.
Hope this ease some of the members conern of accessing the emergency latch behind the speaker grill.

I just used zip-tie to extend the latch, and cover with reflective type for visibility.
Tested that normal force can unlock by adult, but pushing out the door takes more force and weight. Advise to use body weight and leg in emergency, after unlocked the latch.

View attachment 224456 View attachment 224457 View attachment 224458 View attachment 224459 View attachment 224460 View attachment 224461
Thanks Xiao Ma Ge

Not trying to hijack the post, but I would like to share my DIY extension latch to open the FWD in emergency.
Hope this ease some of the members conern of accessing the emergency latch behind the speaker grill.

I just used zip-tie to extend the latch, and cover with reflective type for visibility.
Tested that normal force can unlock by adult, but pushing out the door takes more force and weight. Advise to use body weight and leg in emergency, after unlocked the latch.
Good idea, something more aesthetic would be nice for a permanent installation.

Reactions: Cowby
This may be a dumb question (and I'm not near my 4 day-old MX right now)...if the car loses power and there are people in the 3rd row of a 7-seater, how do those 3rd row occupants get out? Specifically, how can one manually move up the second row to allow access to get out? The headrests of the second row are high enough that an occupant can't climb over...and can't climb backwards either. Is there a mechanical release for the second row to move forward?

This may be a dumb question (and I'm not near my 4 day-old MX right now)...if the car loses power and there are people in the 3rd row of a 7-seater, how do those 3rd row occupants get out? Specifically, how can one manually move up the second row to allow access to get out? The headrests of the second row are high enough that an occupant can't climb over...and can't climb backwards either. Is there a mechanical release for the second row to move forward?

This is interesting, I think you can fold the 3rd row headrest with enough force and climb out of the trunk with the emergency release

For something that may be better than a hammer, take a look at one of these emergency knives. This is what EMTs and other emergency personnel carry for extrication. It has a special cutter for the seatbelt if that gets jammed, and also has the striker on the end of handle for breaking glass. I think I'd rather use one of these than a little hammer. Point pressure is much more certain to shatter a window if needed. I've carried one of these in my door pocket for years. (And you never know when a knife might come in handy. Do check your local regs on knife carry, of course!)

CRKT Carson M16-12ZLEK Tanto Zytel Folding Knife - Black Serr - Blade Play

They have it in screaming orange also, if you want it to look like emergency equipment.
Tempered glass is difficult to break, even with a hammer, but internal forces from tempering make it easy to break at a corner of the glass.

I once had to dispose of an old sliding glass door and even with a 5lb sledge hammer could not break it. A neighbor watched me for a while and then imparted the secret. I then tapped lightly with a claw hammer in one corner. It popped at the impact point and then a wave swept across the whole thing, reducing it to little cubes of glass in about a second.

For something that may be better than a hammer, take a look at one of these emergency knives. This is what EMTs and other emergency personnel carry for extrication. It has a special cutter for the seatbelt if that gets jammed, and also has the striker on the end of handle for breaking glass. I think I'd rather use one of these than a little hammer. Point pressure is much more certain to shatter a window if needed. I've carried one of these in my door pocket for years. (And you never know when a knife might come in handy. Do check your local regs on knife carry, of course!)

CRKT Carson M16-12ZLEK Tanto Zytel Folding Knife - Black Serr - Blade Play

They have it in screaming orange also, if you want it to look like emergency equipment.
Thanks, I bought one just now.

Reactions: boaterva
Has anyone tried pulling on the manual release on the FWD? How do you reengage it? Does it click back into place once you close the door? I'm a little nervous trying it.
Watch my video above. It is spring loaded and immediately reengages when you release... So you actually have to keep it pulled until the FWD is open an inch or so. But as soon as you let go you can use the electronic door.

I highly recommend going out to your MX and giving it a try, preferably with your family. It is not super easy and everyone needs to see what it's like in a calm controlled environment so they know what to expect in a less controlled accident situation.