Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The cost of building a (single) Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a question for all you Sandy Munro-types out there: if I wanted to build exactly one Cybertruck, based roughly on the dimensions given at the unveiling, how much would it cost? I've seen a few different builds online. Aside from not listing the material and labor costs, they're also either gas-powered or miniatures. I'm talking about a 1:1 BEV replica of what Elon has been hooning around LA. Let's further assume that I have an extra Model X sitting around that I can cannibalize for this project, but no technical know-how or access to a friend with a machine or welding shop.

And this is purely a thought experiment, so no need for the "why don't you just wait until December of 2021?" comments. I'm just curious.

If you wanna do a crappy knockoff and are happy to destroy the X to do it, and you are good at metalwork. If you expect to do a one for one, you won't get to cannibalize the X too much, different ground clearance, axel distances, and width. What are you expecting?

If you wanna do a crappy knockoff and are happy to destroy the X to do it, and you are good at metalwork. If you expect to do a one for one, you won't get to cannibalize the X too much, different ground clearance, axel distances, and width. What are you expecting?

I guess that's true. So maybe it'd need to be the size of a mid-size pick up. Let's call it 75% instead of 1:1

00ab74fc93c2df04f1a7a621f2c61bb5.jpg

easy fix

I wonder if his room to fit two model 3 batteries between the cybertruck wheelbase?
Yes. You could indeed put an array of 2 long by 4 wide model 3 battery modules. You could put the short ones together and long ones together to make a super 150kw skateboard. Or just use a P100D battery and drivetrain and suffer with less range but clearly enough power. Personally if I was doing a one off, a wrecked S/X with 100kwh battery would be the choice as it would be cheap and could be done with less engineering.