Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The cost to fill my Tesla each day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much the same here, although mine skews a little higher on account of I have an X and a lead foot. :p

I have a power meter installed on the power line that feeds my car charger, and I should have a years worth of data to put into a spreadsheet & graphical display soon.

I also have an X and trying to estimate how the car reported usage correlates with how much electricity needs to go back to the car while charging.

Could you please let us know how much electricity you need to use to charge let's say 10% of your battery?
I know it can be estimated, but I'm interested in real world numbers reported by your dedicated power meter.

Ontario deregulated and unbundled electricity prices a while back. Typically people only consider the 6.5/9.4/13.2 cents commodity charges for Off, Mid and On-peak power, which is what most utility graphs show, You have to add the volumetric Distribution and Regulatory fees, Loss Factor adjustment and GST to get a true per-kWh number. Mine is 8.76 cents Off Peak in Alectra territory.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I also have an X and trying to estimate how the car reported usage correlates with how much electricity needs to go back to the car while charging.

Could you please let us know how much electricity you need to use to charge let's say 10% of your battery?
I know it can be estimated, but I'm interested in real world numbers reported by your dedicated power meter.
It’s an induction power meter, so the finer details aren’t as exact. I’ll still publish what I get when I extract it out.

Reactions: Pilot7478
Even doing the back-of-envelope calculations and being generous - typically I drive say, 20,000km a year. Assume 10l/100km ('Bout 30mpg) and that's 2,000 litres which could be anything from $2,000 to $2,600. Electricity here is 8.62 cents/kWh. On a very cold day, in my typical stop-and-go driving averaging 20km/h with cabin heat going at -20ºC, I might use 3 to 4 km range for each km driven and it will cost me about $70 in January or Feb. (vs. $40 in summer). I haven't tried any road trips yet... But based on previous years meter readings vs. 2019, I guess it cost me about $612 to run the car for a year in a cold climate, and in 12 months put about 17,000km on the Model 3. One fill-up of the BMW with premium can cost up to $70 depending on fluctuating gas prices, and lasts maybe 2 weeks.

While the BMW has been running several thousand in maintenance - new brakes, seals, etc. for a 5-year-old car - the expenses for the Model 3 are mostly add-ons: a set of aero rims and snow tires, ChaDEMO adapter, mats, FSD, wrap, etc.

Ontario deregulated and unbundled electricity prices a while back. Typically people only consider the 6.5/9.4/13.2 cents commodity charges for Off, Mid and On-peak power, which is what most utility graphs show, You have to add the volumetric Distribution and Regulatory fees, Loss Factor adjustment and GST to get a true per-kWh number. Mine is 8.76 cents Off Peak in Alectra territory.

That is excellent! Here in Calgary the cost is quite a bit more. I’d love to brag that I’m only paying 5.9 cents /kWh which is technically true but once you add the delivery fees, admin and all the other bullshit it ends up being about 17 cents per. Still about 1/3rd less than the comparable ICE I had though. :cool:

That is excellent! Here in Calgary the cost is quite a bit more. I’d love to brag that I’m only paying 5.9 cents /kWh which is technically true but once you add the delivery fees, admin and all the other bullshit it ends up being about 17 cents per. Still about 1/3rd less than the comparable ICE I had though. :cool:
You have to be fair, those delivery and admin fees are something you have to pay regardless whether you use electricity or not. That is, if you don't have EV, you still pay for it.

You have to be fair, those delivery and admin fees are something you have to pay regardless whether you use electricity or not. That is, if you don't have EV, you still pay for it.

In Ontario at least, some of the fees are fixed (i.e. you pay the same fee regardless of usage) and some are variable (e.g. loss factor, tax). It's surprisingly difficult to find the answer to the question 'how much extra will I pay if I use an additional kwh of electricity' without being a forensic accountant. The easiest way I found was to use the calculator linked below, change the energy used by 1kwh and look at how much the total bill changes. Ironically the off peak rate ended up almost exactly as the original electricity rate (10.1c/kwh) after adding taxes and fees then deducting the rebate, while peak was a little cheaper than the advertised rate, net of fees and rebate.

Bill calculator | Ontario Energy Board

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk