Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The culmination of our Tesla (acquisition) journey!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Picked up VIN 1913 today at the Fremont Delivery Center! Wife's named her "Tessie Little" and is thoroughly enjoying it. :)

The delivery experience was rather lean; quick paperwork, a bit of a wait as the car was still being prepped and a relatively straightforward walkthrough with the Tesla person. Didn't think much of the indoor spotlight setting; would have been nicer in natural light. Nothing really stood out as a problem item so, we drove away soon after (there may be a minor niggle we may have missed, see below).

We then drove up "Awesome Tessie" (our P85D) and her little sister, "Tessie Little", a couple of miles up to the factory for some glamour shots (see further below)!

Quick observations from the drive back home and in general:

- Overall build quality is fabulous! No rattles, squeaks or vibrations.

- Wife misses automatic trunk operation and isn't a fan of the wood veneer; personal preferences, I guess.

- As some others have noted, the car does drive like it's on rails: planted, tight and zippy - not violently so, like the PxxxDL, but, really quick off the line and extremely manouverable. Both my wife and I agreed that it feels like a high-seated go-kart!

- Glancing at the screen to check speed is a little weird and needs getting used to. HUD would be perfect in this car.

- Steering wheel is smaller but, the steering feel is tighter than in our S (in Sport mode even).

- The screen will take some getting used to given the horizontal orientation and the layout of controls compared to the screen in the S. Hunting and pecking at controls and settings seemingly felt much harder and distracting than in the S; takeaway: don't try to change too many things there while driving, till you get really used to it.

- Would have preferred all the wiper controls in the stalk rather than the single swipe and spray alone there that are then augmented with the full controls on the screen.

- As @White noted in another thread, the rear view camera display is terrible: extreme fish eye perspective and very dark. Hope for a fix in firmware down the road.

- Niggle: app says charge port is open and to connect a charging cable despite it being physically closed and locked. Screen suggests all is good. Need to followup with Tesla. Also, despite my best efforts and using two separate remotes, no dice with Homelink; the same setup works seamlessly with the S.

Ok! Will post more as wife, son and I experience this beaut further.

Bravo, Tesla: you've knocked this one into the park in the next town!! :D

Here are the pics:

IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG

I was thinking of the one that you sent George B, as the reason we buy Teslas. (Maybe taken at Santana Row? That's where I first met you, I think.) I think your son was even younger in that one.

Oh yes! From a beta event at Santana Row in March, 2012; he was only 5 then. We did meet a few months before; at the Model S beta reveal in Oct 2011.

Congrats @gg_got_a_tesla. I think this is technically your 3rd Tesla.

Why did you title this one as "culmination". I presume the Y is also in your bucket list.

Thanks! Yes, third Tesla indeed. But, wife and I finally have one each. Nah, we are set for a decade+, I hope; let’s see what the kid may need in high school or after. :)

Congrats!
How busy was the delivery center, in terms of model 3 deliveries?

Thanks! Quite busy actually. I didn’t count but all the bays (10-15 of them?) but one empty one, I think, were filled with 3s. And, that was around my 11:45 am allotted time. There were delivery slots every 15-30 min or so all the way through 5:45 pm.

A few observations after a couple of days:

- Leg room at the back and headroom overall are excellent! And, given the higher seating, the arc of the thighs and legs is much more comfortable than in the low slung S.

- The seats are very plush-feeling; definitely more comfy than our S's old textile-pleather hybrid. Need to see how they feel, stickiness-wise, in the high heat of the summer.

- Cabin's super airy and visibility all around is excellent; no real blind spots. The rear view mirror shape is a wee bit wonky (a trapezoid?) compared to the shape of the glass behind so, it doesn't quite "align" if you know what I mean so, there are odd bits of the interior of the car that show up distractingly in the mirror. View is better overall than in the S for sure. The front hood cannot be seen at all from the front seats so, feels like the front of a bus.

- Seat back storage and cup holder slots in the doors are great. And, son loves to play with the soft-touch coat hangers! Center console storage with the phone charge cables in the front are excellent; phones in cases will not plug in well unless you pull the cables out a bit. Glovebox is flatter than in the S and cannot store much.

- Rear trunk lid needs a good push to close; need to hold the top of the lid - thus leaving smudges - but, I prefer pushing on the license plate. Front trunk has decent storage but, I'd not use it often as it needs palms on the hood just above the T logo to close it; smudge city!

- I don't have Autopilot but, am supposed to have the Lane Departure Warning which isn't as prominent in terms of its feedback when compared to the nice rumble in my AP1 S; I need to repeat tests on this though to be sure.

- Obstacle display all around, while driving, on the center screen is, in my opinion, virtually useless. It's small and in the lower half of the left of the screen. No way can I see it well, if at all, in my peripheral vision (I can just about see the larger speed indicator above). I think Tesla needs to do something about this in HUD eventually given the available, vast expanse of the windshield in front.

- Reiterating original observation about tackling the screen while driving. Not as easy or smooth as with the large buttons and such in the S. Needs longer glances away from the road.

- Non-sticky turn signal knob is a bit different but, didn't take long to get used to.

- Love the electronic door openers on the inside.

- Watch those sharp door and window glass corners!

- Rear view "HD" camera continues to be an embarrassment (have I harped on it enough?!) and is right up there with the web browser in the S. Grainy, dark, extreme fish eye with things in the middle appearing skinnier than they are; the rendering looks like a child's drawing or something.

- No luck with Homelink still when working with my circa-2013 Liftmaster garage opener (that has had no issues with the S); has anyone gotten it to work easily? I tried all the troubleshooting tips from the manual.

- The car appears to have a gentle pull to the right that may or may not contribute to a slight bit of road feedback through the steering wheel. Need to get the alignment checked out soon.

- Charging to the 90% (?) level showed 273 miles of range initially. When we drove immediately after, it rightaway went up to 276.

- The car's a real headturner even here in the Bay Area! For now, I guess, till it becomes as common as a BMW 3 let alone a Prius!

If any of you have specific questions, shoot and I'll try to provide the best answers that I can. Cheers!

Thanks, I have asked the original poster to chime in. Dimensions alone might not be adequate, since it is such an irregular shape/size.

Hi, I was asking about how well a road bicycle will fit in the back of a model 3.

The dimensions of my 56 cm road bike are 67 inches long, 38 inches tall, and 19 inches wide. In particular, I wonder about the height of the pass-through from the trunk to the main compartment. Any information you have would be appreciated!

• Informative
Reactions: DR61