Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The culmination of our Tesla (acquisition) journey!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few observations after a couple of days:

- Leg room at the back and headroom overall are excellent! And, given the higher seating, the arc of the thighs and legs is much more comfortable than in the low slung S.

- The seats are very plush-feeling; definitely more comfy than our S's old textile-pleather hybrid. Need to see how they feel, stickiness-wise, in the high heat of the summer.

- Cabin's super airy and visibility all around is excellent; no real blind spots. The rear view mirror shape is a wee bit wonky (a trapezoid?) compared to the shape of the glass behind so, it doesn't quite "align" if you know what I mean so, there are odd bits of the interior of the car that show up distractingly in the mirror. View is better overall than in the S for sure. The front hood cannot be seen at all from the front seats so, feels like the front of a bus.

- Seat back storage and cup holder slots in the doors are great. And, son loves to play with the soft-touch coat hangers! Center console storage with the phone charge cables in the front are excellent; phones in cases will not plug in well unless you pull the cables out a bit. Glovebox is flatter than in the S and cannot store much.

- Rear trunk lid needs a good push to close; need to hold the top of the lid - thus leaving smudges - but, I prefer pushing on the license plate. Front trunk has decent storage but, I'd not use it often as it needs palms on the hood just above the T logo to close it; smudge city!

- I don't have Autopilot but, am supposed to have the Lane Departure Warning which isn't as prominent in terms of its feedback when compared to the nice rumble in my AP1 S; I need to repeat tests on this though to be sure.

- Obstacle display all around, while driving, on the center screen is, in my opinion, virtually useless. It's small and in the lower half of the left of the screen. No way can I see it well, if at all, in my peripheral vision (I can just about see the larger speed indicator above). I think Tesla needs to do something about this in HUD eventually given the available, vast expanse of the windshield in front.

- Reiterating original observation about tackling the screen while driving. Not as easy or smooth as with the large buttons and such in the S. Needs longer glances away from the road.

- Non-sticky turn signal knob is a bit different but, didn't take long to get used to.

- Love the electronic door openers on the inside.

- Watch those sharp door and window glass corners!

- Rear view "HD" camera continues to be an embarrassment (have I harped on it enough?!) and is right up there with the web browser in the S. Grainy, dark, extreme fish eye with things in the middle appearing skinnier than they are; the rendering looks like a child's drawing or something.

- No luck with Homelink still when working with my circa-2013 Liftmaster garage opener (that has had no issues with the S); has anyone gotten it to work easily? I tried all the troubleshooting tips from the manual.

- The car appears to have a gentle pull to the right that may or may not contribute to a slight bit of road feedback through the steering wheel. Need to get the alignment checked out soon.

- Charging to the 90% (?) level showed 273 miles of range initially. When we drove immediately after, it rightaway went up to 276.

- The car's a real headturner even here in the Bay Area! For now, I guess, till it becomes as common as a BMW 3 let alone a Prius!

If any of you have specific questions, shoot and I'll try to provide the best answers that I can. Cheers!
Would you mind confirming how the heating works? It appears we have some media drama in the making as people from "the drive" are doing a test drive right now and have been tweeting in winter clothes how they are freezing in the car.

Can't imagine it's not just a 1 off issue with that 1 car.

Would you mind confirming how the heating works? It appears we have some media drama in the making as people from "the drive" are doing a test drive right now and have been tweeting in winter clothes how they are freezing in the car.

Per my experience in 50F/10C weather here in Los Angeles over the past few days, the HVAC system in the model 3 is superior to the model S; of course this is LA and experiences shouldn't be extrapolated to colder climates. The model 3's cabin warmed much faster than with our model S and the airflow from the rear seating vents is vastly better. Both my wife and I agree that it is a huge improvement over the HVAC system on our model S and we both had our turns sitting in the rear seats with our infant.

Really..? Hmm...

Yup. Don’t use it much in my AP1 S; only occasionally in stop-and-go traffic and inter-city driving (which I haven’t done in recent months). I find it more stressful to ensure that AP is doing its thing right rather than driving it myself. Have had a couple of rough experiences in the past with the car behaving oddly in auto steer. Don’t need summon.

If and when Tesla truly masters FSD (and many fine folks here vouch for it), I’ll pony up for the EAP+FSD upgrade at that point.

Hi, I was asking about how well a road bicycle will fit in the back of a model 3.

The dimensions of my 56 cm road bike are 67 inches long, 38 inches tall, and 19 inches wide. In particular, I wonder about the height of the pass-through from the trunk to the main compartment. Any information you have would be appreciated!

Will measure and get back to you tonight.

@EcoBruin is spot on above. It’s been very comfortable in the Bay Area’s 50s-60s weather. Don’t care much for the fancy air flow direction control; the default setting works fine. The Auto setting does seem to blow the fans at a higher speed than necessary though; have had to go to manual and turn the fan down - maybe, this is what those folks are talking about?

Reactions: mrdoubleb
Anyway to control the fan speed with one of the steering wheel controls? Love that option on the X. Volume on the left, fan control on the right (especially since it is in a nested menu)

No... I've attached a page from the manual about the scroll buttons.

On a different note, there's a neat support page linked to from the Manage page for the vehicle with some quick shortcuts, brief videos and also, (finally, for any Tesla!), a listing of features/fixes by software version. Attached a pdf version of that too.

Curiously, on that same Manage page, unlike for the S/X, there are no links, yet, to buy an extended warranty let alone a maintenance plan. I guess Tesla hasn't thought through these yet.

Lastly, (and this is for tech geeks), for those concerned about the safety/security of exposing VINs in public on the Interweb, the Manage page is accessed via a URL like this:

https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/own/details?vin=<Base64-encoded version of the VIN>

That encoded version is easily decoded. This is different from the S's page that's accessed with the more-cryptic RN number in the URL. Both are pretty crude IMO as those should probably be in a form post. One'd have to login, of course, with the right credentials to access a specific VIN's page but, all the same, it's a bit amateurish.

Attachments

• Owner's Manual - Scroll Buttons.pdf
    71 KB · Views: 64
  • Tesla _ Model 3 Support.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 76
  • Informative
Reactions: gjunky and arcus
Per my experience in 50F/10C weather here in Los Angeles over the past few days, the HVAC system in the model 3 is superior to the model S; of course this is LA and experiences shouldn't be extrapolated to colder climates. The model 3's cabin warmed much faster than with our model S and the airflow from the rear seating vents is vastly better. Both my wife and I agree that it is a huge improvement over the HVAC system on our model S and we both had our turns sitting in the rear seats with our infant.

@EcoBruin,

How is the heating in the footwell area? Can you direct heat/flow into the footwell area under the dash? Or just the windshield and front slot?

Ski

Probably have the Heat turned off to maximize range. At the speed they are driving they probably need all the range they can get.

Reactions: Rogue one
Hi, I was asking about how well a road bicycle will fit in the back of a model 3.

The dimensions of my 56 cm road bike are 67 inches long, 38 inches tall, and 19 inches wide. In particular, I wonder about the height of the pass-through from the trunk to the main compartment. Any information you have would be appreciated!

Hi, hope this crude pic conveys the dimensions; and, my measurements are a bit on the generous side. Seems like a tough fit for your bike...

C9A904BA-A97E-4A75-AAB9-D5F520509C41.jpeg

I would say they had the heat down or off to conserve power.

634FCC19-BA02-4AD4-AFA6-79104A41C601.jpeg

I followed the above twitter journey they had no issues with cold weather, (sub zero temps) until they parked for the night in -12F with low range and left the car unplugged... tesla indicated it should have been ok and took care of them when it wasn’t. But cabin heat wise they said it had plenty of heat but it did zap range. (Seemed like 25-35 percent) Look them up on twitter the trip is worth the read, lots of good information.

Thanks! Yes, third Tesla indeed. But, wife and I finally have one each. Nah, we are set for a decade+, I hope; let’s see what the kid may need in high school or after. :)

When my daughter got her driver's license she learned on my LEAF and hasn't given it back since! So, I have been stuck in an old ICE waiting for my Model 3 configure invite. You can see why I am a bit anxious to get it as soon as possible!

Anyways, your son will almost certainly try to talk his way into one of your Teslas, so I would prepare yourself for Tesla #3 and not assume that 2 is enough to share among 3 drivers.

By the way, thanks again for letting me take a drive in your P85D when you first got it years ago! I still remember how much your son was enjoying the insane launches we did there...

Hi, hope this crude pic conveys the dimensions; and, my measurements are a bit on the generous side. Seems like a tough fit for your bike...

View attachment 270670

Thank you for your measurements. As noted below, putting the bike in rear wheel first, with the handlebars in the well offers hope it can hold the bike without disassembly.

Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
No... I've attached a page from the manual about the scroll buttons.

On a different note, there's a neat support page linked to from the Manage page for the vehicle with some quick shortcuts, brief videos and also, (finally, for any Tesla!), a listing of features/fixes by software version. Attached a pdf version of that too.

Curiously, on that same Manage page, unlike for the S/X, there are no links, yet, to buy an extended warranty let alone a maintenance plan. I guess Tesla hasn't thought through these yet.

Lastly, (and this is for tech geeks), for those concerned about the safety/security of exposing VINs in public on the Interweb, the Manage page is accessed via a URL like this:

https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/own/details?vin=<Base64-encoded version of the VIN>

That encoded version is easily decoded. This is different from the S's page that's accessed with the more-cryptic RN number in the URL. Both are pretty crude IMO as those should probably be in a form post. One'd have to login, of course, with the right credentials to access a specific VIN's page but, all the same, it's a bit amateurish.
Thank you for the post and attachments. Too bad about the fan control but fixable in software I guess.

Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
When my daughter got her driver's license she learned on my LEAF and hasn't given it back since! So, I have been stuck in an old ICE waiting for my Model 3 configure invite. You can see why I am a bit anxious to get it as soon as possible!

Anyways, your son will almost certainly try to talk his way into one of your Teslas, so I would prepare yourself for Tesla #3 and not assume that 2 is enough to share among 3 drivers.

By the way, thanks again for letting me take a drive in your P85D when you first got it years ago! I still remember how much your son was enjoying the insane launches we did there...

Haha. Yeah, @TEG, if I can somehow lock one of these cars down permanently in Chill mode, I’d not be too scared to let my son get his hands on it as a teenager. The signs are ominous though as he was setting up a profile for himself yesterday. :)

Good luck with getting the invite very soon! You’ve been the most ardent, long time Tesla fan that I’ve known. You’d love this car! What config are you settling on?