Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The culmination of our Tesla (acquisition) journey!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New software update that has cured the “Charge port open” issue in the app; the screen doesn’t display any post-update-install release notes though nor is there a link in the About dialog:

View attachment 270714

Received a followup email today from Tesla with subject “Model 3 Update: Automatic Windshield Wipers” and the following:

F5951B02-7C9F-45D7-964A-00693B53763B.png

Tried it out briefly today as there was some rain around here. Worked reasonably well although the swipe speed was much faster than the drizzle necessitated.

Another observation in general: connectivity from the app can be slow if the car presumably goes into deeper sleep when not charging. Doesn’t have the “Always Connected” setting that the S has. Also, when in such deeper sleep, it does take a moment or two of standing around the car before the phone app manages to wake it up and unlock it; a bit inconvenient.

A couple more:

- The Charge Port Open symptom is back. Doesn't look like the recent update fixed it completely.

- The Charge Port is not sealed completely from the elements; water got in from the rain when the car was parked outside.

- Tested Lane Departure Warning some more. It's in fact a fairly vigorous vibration through the steering wheel; there's no audible equivalent to the rumble in the S but, the vibration through the wheel can be felt more than in the S.

- The Front Collision Warning is really loud! Probably a good thing.

- The new UMC is nifty with the new adapter style; plugs better into outlets (particularly standard 110V 5-15 ones) without hanging off the bigger adapter like in the older style in the S. The blinking Tesla text on the transformer block (is that what it should be called?) is a nice touch.

Since you didn't get the EAP, can you comment on how well cruise control works without it?

Used non-AP/TACC cruise control today. Pulled the gear selector lever fully down to choose the cruise speed and then, was able to increase or decrease the speed from the screen. Flicking the stick up cancelled the cruise control. So, the same gestures as in the manual for TACC. Cruise was smooth.

98F7F4C8-5E97-48A3-BCB1-B935CC518CAD.jpeg

Used non-AP/TACC cruise control today. Pulled the gear selector lever fully down to choose the cruise speed and then, was able to increase or decrease the speed from the screen. Flicking the stick up cancelled the cruise control. So, the same gestures as in the manual for TACC. Cruise was smooth.

View attachment 271583
Thanks for the follow up on that. There were many new to Tesla and otherwise that have requested that info.

Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
The biggest difference in driving experience for us between the S and the 3 so far? The suspension!

I know there are folks who love them some coils but, for my wife and I, the active air suspension in the S provides that right balance between road feel and a supple ride. The 3's steel springs (?) makes for a bit more of a rough ride where we feel those pesky recessed manhole covers and such; so much so, I try to do some zig-zagging to avoid those as much as I can.

We also feel that longer-distance travel could be more fatiguing in the 3 than in the S, atleast for us. Of course, we intend to drive the S anyway, given free supercharging, for such drives.

There appears to be one advantage to the 3's suspension though that may also be attributable to its smaller size - cornering and handling through corners seem to be better than the slightly-boaty feel with the S (don't know how the S's + suspension fares here for those who have it).

Sure, there are probably longer term trade offs - that have been discussed ad infinitum on here before - between mechanical and air suspensions but, these are our observations so far.

- No luck with Homelink still when working with my circa-2013 Liftmaster garage opener (that has had no issues with the S); has anyone gotten it to work easily? I tried all the troubleshooting tips from the manual.

- The car appears to have a gentle pull to the right that may or may not contribute to a slight bit of road feedback through the steering wheel. Need to get the alignment checked out soon.

I'm having the same issue with Homelink (and also a Liftmaster) even though it worked fine on my MS40/70. My 3 also pulls slightly to the right since day one - I'll also need to have the alignment checked.

• Informative
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
Another observation in general: connectivity from the app can be slow if the car presumably goes into deeper sleep when not charging. Doesn’t have the “Always Connected” setting that the S has. Also, when in such deeper sleep, it does take a moment or two of standing around the car before the phone app manages to wake it up and unlock it; a bit inconvenient.

Same here. Sometimes it doesn't open at all until I unlock my phone, open the App and wait for it to connect. I would rather have a keyfob and frunk/trunk buttons... I assume they could easily make a dedicated bluetooth keyfob; hopefully a future option.

- No luck with Homelink still when working with my circa-2013 Liftmaster garage opener (that has had no issues with the S); has anyone gotten it to work easily? I tried all the troubleshooting tips from the manual.

- The car appears to have a gentle pull to the right that may or may not contribute to a slight bit of road feedback through the steering wheel. Need to get the alignment checked out soon.

I'm having the same issue with Homelink (and also a Liftmaster) even though it worked fine on my MS40/70. My 3 also pulls slightly to the right since day one - I'll also need to have the alignment checked.

Took the car in for service yesterday to get the alignment and homelink checked out. This is the update on the alignment aspect - so, a firmware update may "fix" it:

tesserv.png

On the Homelink front, they'll schedule a mobile unit to come to our house and try to set the Homelink up.

Great service as always! They were thrilled to see one of the first Model 3s come in for service.

Family, friends, & workmates know I reserved a model 3 as a line waiter in March 2016... They would ask me occasionally "when are you getting it?" I would quote what I saw in the delivery estimator.
Now that some Model 3s are on the road and they are seeing them, they are really coming forward in larger numbers saying "why didn't you get it yet? When will you get it?"
I am spending more and more time trying to explain the "pecking order" for order confirmation now. I should print up some cards saying "I think I get to order after employees of companies related to Tesla, existing owners, and friends/family of those groups."
It may be worse for me since I have been talking about getting a Tesla for a decade now...
I wonder how many other line waiters are in this situation now trying to explain why they haven't been able to order yet.

Family, friends, & workmates know I reserved a model 3 as a line waiter in March 2016... They would ask me occasionally "when are you getting it?" I would quote what I saw in the delivery estimator.
Now that some Model 3s are on the road and they are seeing them, they are really coming forward in larger numbers saying "why didn't you get it yet? When will you get it?"
I am spending more and more time trying to explain the "pecking order" for order confirmation now. I should print up some cards saying "I think I get to order after employees of companies related to Tesla, existing owners, and friends/family of those groups."
It may be worse for me since I have been talking about getting a Tesla for a decade now...
I wonder how many other line waiters are in this situation now trying to explain why they haven't been able to order yet.
Hang in there TEG. All I can say is the wait is soooo worth it. I love driving the 3. I've given 3-4 test drives and everyone's blown away. Colleague has a new Bolt, so we were going to exchange test drives. He drove my 3 first and said "don't bother with mine. It will seem like crap compared to this".