Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The culmination of our Tesla (acquisition) journey!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Family, friends, & workmates know I reserved a model 3 as a line waiter in March 2016... They would ask me occasionally "when are you getting it?" I would quote what I saw in the delivery estimator.
Now that some Model 3s are on the road and they are seeing them, they are really coming forward in larger numbers saying "why didn't you get it yet? When will you get it?"
I am spending more and more time trying to explain the "pecking order" for order confirmation now. I should print up some cards saying "I think I get to order after employees of companies related to Tesla, existing owners, and friends/family of those groups."
It may be worse for me since I have been talking about getting a Tesla for a decade now...
I wonder how many other line waiters are in this situation now trying to explain why they haven't been able to order yet.
Same situation for me as family and friends got to hear all my enthusiasm about the car when I first placed the reservation and as their constant questions about why no car yet, I found myself becoming more reluctant to even bring it up. I figure that when I actually get the car, it will speak for itself as to whether it or not.

Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
Family, friends, & workmates know I reserved a model 3 as a line waiter in March 2016... They would ask me occasionally "when are you getting it?" I would quote what I saw in the delivery estimator.
Now that some Model 3s are on the road and they are seeing them, they are really coming forward in larger numbers saying "why didn't you get it yet? When will you get it?"
I am spending more and more time trying to explain the "pecking order" for order confirmation now. I should print up some cards saying "I think I get to order after employees of companies related to Tesla, existing owners, and friends/family of those groups."
It may be worse for me since I have been talking about getting a Tesla for a decade now...
I wonder how many other line waiters are in this situation now trying to explain why they haven't been able to order yet.

You're not alone. My wife and 7 years old daughter have been asking me the same questions for the past year. Now, I only bring up when they ask. I have gone as far as swapping their picture on the background of my phone for a 3's. My daughter's response was "Oh Daddy!!!". :) The NEMA 1450 has already been installed a few months ago. It's just sitting there ready to be plugged in.

I'm glad the reviews have been very good. I'm not a car guy at all. But for some strange reason this car/company excites me and I'm about to cough up $60K for it. Reserved in line. CA res.

Took the car in for service yesterday to get the alignment and homelink checked out. This is the update on the alignment aspect - so, a firmware update may "fix" it:

View attachment 272559

On the Homelink front, they'll schedule a mobile unit to come to our house and try to set the Homelink up.

Great service as always! They were thrilled to see one of the first Model 3s come in for service.

FWIW road crown pull has been around since road engineers started figuring out water drainage. Some cars steering is so ‘numb’ you get zero feedback and no pull. Any well connected car with good steering feedback may get some left or right pull depending what lane your in.
If you want to self investigate on a highway find a straight flat stretch with 2 or 3 lanes in the same direction. With 2 lanes the crown is normally in the middle. With 3 lanes it could be on either side of the center lane depending on drainage requirements. Drive the right lane and let go. The car should drift right meaning there is a requirement to keep a bit of left pressure on the wheel to keep straight. Drive the left lane and let go. The car should drift left. Try this in multiple spots on different highways. If the car is pulling right when in the left lane there is an issue.

From: Wheel Alignment Terms (more than everything you ever wanted to know about alignment)

Road Crown and Camber
A crowned road means that the outside/right hand side of the lane is lower than the left side of the lane. This improves the drainage of the road but adversely affects vehicle handling. Road crown must be compensated for in alignment settings because a vehicle driving on a crowned road leans to the right, causing some weight transfer to the right, and the camber changes slightly more positive. This combination creates a pull or drift to the right. Most alignment technicians adjust the vehicle with a slightly more positive camber, usually 1/4°, on the left to compensate for the road crown. This slightly more positive camber will not cause a noticeable pull when driving on a flat road. However, if camber is unequal from side to side with a difference greater than 1/2°, the vehicle will pull to the side with the most positive camber. If the specifications allow, 0° to ±.5° is usually best for tire life and vehicle handling.

Last edited:
Used non-AP/TACC cruise control today. Pulled the gear selector lever fully down to choose the cruise speed and then, was able to increase or decrease the speed from the screen. Flicking the stick up cancelled the cruise control. So, the same gestures as in the manual for TACC. Cruise was smooth.

View attachment 271583
Does the cruise automatically adjust speed when in traffic?

@gg_got_a_tesla you seem like a nerdy car guy, and I say that with admiration since I am one too. Please forgive me for asking some nerdy car guy questions:
  • how many user profiles are allowed on U.I.
  • does your car have easy entry/exit software
  • if easy entry, does seat automatically adjust to driver profile when seat belt is buckled or do you have tp press something
  • do profiles activate through phone, U.I., or seatbelt
  • do profiles include side mirror and rear view mirror
  • is there user profile for passenger seat
  • is manual seat adjustment by U.I. or buttons on side of seat
  • what are the seat adjustments, i.e., seat position, seat back recline, height, tilt, lumbar
  • does the U.I. show cars in near proximity to yours (front, rear, left, right) on right of screen
  • do side mirrors auto tilt down when shifting into reverse and back to profile when shifting into forward
  • do you wish you had deferred for SAS on your 3

Does the cruise automatically adjust speed when in traffic?
AFAIK without EAP it’s basic cruise control not TACC. He did state it’s non AP/TACC cruise control.
My understanding is that TACC (traffic aware cruise control) is a function of the EAP package. So, no, there is no auto adjust speed in traffic with standard cruise control. We have TACC on our current car and we would not be able to live without it on our 3; so for us, EAP is mandatory.

My understanding is that TACC (traffic aware cruise control) is a function of the EAP package. So, no, there is no auto adjust speed in traffic with standard cruise control. We have TACC on our current car and we would not be able to live without it on our 3; so for us, EAP is mandatory.

That's right. Just vanilla ACC, not TACC. Need EAP for the latter.

@gg_got_a_tesla you seem like a nerdy car guy, and I say that with admiration since I am one too. Please forgive me for asking some nerdy car guy questions:
  • how many user profiles are allowed on U.I.
  • does your car have easy entry/exit software
  • if easy entry, does seat automatically adjust to driver profile when seat belt is buckled or do you have tp press something
  • do profiles activate through phone, U.I., or seatbelt
  • do profiles include side mirror and rear view mirror
  • is there user profile for passenger seat
  • is manual seat adjustment by U.I. or buttons on side of seat
  • what are the seat adjustments, i.e., seat position, seat back recline, height, tilt, lumbar
  • does the U.I. show cars in near proximity to yours (front, rear, left, right) on right of screen
  • do side mirrors auto tilt down when shifting into reverse and back to profile when shifting into forward
  • do you wish you had deferred for SAS on your 3

:) More a tech car nerd than a true car nerd. Exhibit A: couldn't make too much sense of @03DSG's apparently excellent description of road crown.

- Didn't try to setup more than 4.
- Yes, Easy Entry is available. That's one of the 4 profiles that we have.
- Hmm... was it the seat belt being buckled in or the car being put in D or R? I'm trying to recall. Can test later. Putting the car in Park activates that profile for exiting. On that note, would be neat to have multiple easy entry profiles for different drivers. With just one, my wife, who's half a foot shorter, found it jarring for the seat to start moving all the way back when she puts it in park; she promptly turned easy entry off for her driving profile.
- Profiles activate only inside the car. Unlike in the S where profiles can conveniently be linked to key fobs now, the 3 doesn't have the ability (yet) to link different smartphones to different profiles.
- Profiles include side mirrors. The rear view mirror has to be readjusted the old fashioned way.
- No profile for the passenger seat.
- Seat adjustment is the conventional way with buttons on the side of the seat.
- Twelve-way seat adjustments - forward/back, height, seat back, overall tilt, lumbar in/out, lumbar up/down. I don't think I've tweaked them all. Will test this out too.
- Without EAP, I've only seen car(s) in front (activated presumably for Automatic Emergency Braking), none on the sides or behind.
- Yes, side mirrors work the way you described.
- Good question: I mentioned upthread how the ride is taut and my wife feels the difference from our S's SAS even more than I do. But, I like the sportiness and handling that we got right now; I don't know if Tesla can achieve the same with SAS on the 3 later. So, short answer: no, I wouldn't have deferred.

• Informative
Reactions: Colasec and DR61
Thank you so much @gg_got_a_tesla. Pinoy? (my SIL is pinoy) You are a cornucopia of information and I learned more from your post than most of the reviews out there! @03DSG road crown post made perfect sense to me and I learned a couple of things from both of you. I presume that EAP will correct for any pull to the right until software updates. Here is my takeaway from your post:
  • at least 4 driver profiles available - GREAT!
  • apparently only one easy entry profile. I have to figure a workaround for two since DW will drive the T3 75% of the time and me 25%. We are much different sizes, she = petite, me = robust. I need two easy entry profiles.
  • I hope EAP will show adjacent vehicles on all four sides of the car, like MS/X
  • I have two 3's on reservation. I really want SAS but who knows when that will be available. So I am going to take what is available to me on the first reservation (as a CA non-owner, first day on-line, maybe 2 or 3 months from now) and wait for AWD, Performance, SAS for the second. When I get the second car, I will either keep the first car or sell it to pinoy ilocano depending on circumstances.
Everything else in your excellent post is as I had hoped or expected. I have no doubt that there will be some who will be disappointed with the car but I already have experience with off center instrumentation, sporty suspension, similar size and this is my dream car. I have PV on the roof, Nema 14-50 in the garage, have sold my last ICE vehicle and the FUTURE cannot come soon enough!

New software update. No idea what it has though although the “Chargeport Door Open” issue seems to have gone away; no release notes feature yet:

C77A3500-ADD3-4CF6-B28B-5CBEB013F4E0.jpeg

Reactions: Sparky and Zaxxon