Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cyber will be the biggest purchase I have ever made.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until now the biggest ticket item I have ever purchased has been my current home. in 1998 I paid $51,400. That is with all the fees but not the sales tax.
I am getting the 2M FS Cyber. So $57,000ish(before tax).
My current home is worth North of $300,000. The one lot on my street is for sale for $367,000.
But consider what my mindset must be if I am inline to buy a vehicle that cost more than my home.
I must see this thing as something that pretty much is worth my house.
Its current expected performance levels will meet or exceed my expected needs in 2 years.
And my needs/desires are quite high. They were too high to expect anything would meet them until this vehicle was unveiled.
Back in 1962 I had a great Uncle that was too cool for the time he lived in. I was 6. Uncle Albert was "OLD." He was definitely in his fifties. Now the odd thing was that He came to see us in his VW Camper van with two "Great Aunts"? And then when he came 2 yrs later I think my Great Aunts were two completely different women? He was retired. He traveled across the country in this van...with some company. I only remember that he and my Father talked about how many ducks or geese he saw when he was down in Mexico. The old standard, "blacked out the Sun" description.
He pulled up in this odd creature of a vehicle before I went to school. I remember I smarted off so he hog-tied me on the living room floor, with my parent's permission of course. And only let me go after I acknowledged I could not untie myself...And then I went to school.
When I got home it was "Surreal time." He told me to go gather all the kids in my neighborhood that were my close friends. And he took us for a drive. No one asked their parents. We just went. To this day I still remember it. His van was tricked out as a camper. All five of us kids were able to sit around a table while going down the road. Back then, and when you are six, THAT is surreal. I think we ate pretzels. It wasn't important that we ate anything. It was that we put them on a table in front of us and ate them like we were not in a car at all.
That's all it was. but we laughed, and giggled.
I got a few Great nieces and nephews... yep, in 60 years they will tell the story about how Great Uncle Luke pulled up in his Cyber-van and took the kiddies for a ride through the neighborhood without anyone driving... And how we stopped in the woods and cooked hotdogs off the tailgate....
Priceless?

Reactions: mrkbig and Phlier
In 2013 my Model S cost more than all the previous cars I have purchased put together. But that is also because I owned a lot of cheap cars. The costs of these trucks is relatively a lot, for some of us. And they don’t gain in value like a house. :^)

Until now the biggest ticket item I have ever purchased has been my current home. in 1998 I paid $51,400. That is with all the fees but not the sales tax.
I am getting the 2M FS Cyber. So $57,000ish(before tax).
My current home is worth North of $300,000. The one lot on my street is for sale for $367,000.
But consider what my mindset must be if I am inline to buy a vehicle that cost more than my home.
I must see this thing as something that pretty much is worth my house.
Its current expected performance levels will meet or exceed my expected needs in 2 years.
And my needs/desires are quite high. They were too high to expect anything would meet them until this vehicle was unveiled.
Back in 1962 I had a great Uncle that was too cool for the time he lived in. I was 6. Uncle Albert was "OLD." He was definitely in his fifties. Now the odd thing was that He came to see us in his VW Camper van with two "Great Aunts"? And then when he came 2 yrs later I think my Great Aunts were two completely different women? He was retired. He traveled across the country in this van...with some company. I only remember that he and my Father talked about how many ducks or geese he saw when he was down in Mexico. The old standard, "blacked out the Sun" description.
He pulled up in this odd creature of a vehicle before I went to school. I remember I smarted off so he hog-tied me on the living room floor, with my parent's permission of course. And only let me go after I acknowledged I could not untie myself...And then I went to school.
When I got home it was "Surreal time." He told me to go gather all the kids in my neighborhood that were my close friends. And he took us for a drive. No one asked their parents. We just went. To this day I still remember it. His van was tricked out as a camper. All five of us kids were able to sit around a table while going down the road. Back then, and when you are six, THAT is surreal. I think we ate pretzels. It wasn't important that we ate anything. It was that we put them on a table in front of us and ate them like we were not in a car at all.
That's all it was. but we laughed, and giggled.
I got a few Great nieces and nephews... yep, in 60 years they will tell the story about how Great Uncle Luke pulled up in his Cyber-van and took the kiddies for a ride through the neighborhood without anyone driving... And how we stopped in the woods and cooked hotdogs off the tailgate....
Priceless?
Here I am, the sucker buying the $300,000 house that once was $100,000 in ‘91. I don’t even want to imagine a future where this house is worth $900,000 in 20+ years.

I don’t see my generation benefitting from the same market value increase the earlier generations saw. I’m not sure I want a future where that sort of increase is the case..with the exception of the equity being a nice lump sum for me.

Only 2 more years until you’re cool Uncle Luke..2 very long years.

I was sorta thinking by divulging how BigEe's Vision/new creation is so far beyond the realm of expected/normal, AND seems to check all the boxes of what I want (and I assume so many others want) that they would open up about how "important" this vehicle being brought to market is to them on a personal level.
As much as I read that it is a huge step forward in a lot of areas, the one thing that isn't being discussed is how so many of us, especially us old folks, can see the life-changing value of this automobile.
If it was just the "next step" in the name of progress it'd be no better than the Big trucks that get 22mph now. (I still drive a 15mph truck.) But this vehicle is making me reach into areas unknown to me. I could still buy a $30k truck in 3 years and be OK till I die.
And as to the inflation factor of my house costing me $51k twenty-two years ago. The house was worth about $85K realistically. I just stepped into an awesome opportunity to live out here on the island (It's what we say "on the Island," It's just the Barrier Island chain running down the East coast of Florida). I had only ever daydreamed of affording it. I never made much money, but I have successfully spent less than I have made. That is the next significant reason why this is such a huge purchase decision for me.
I see so much "added value" on a personal level in this vehicle. It is almost like BigEe asked my input before he started.
It's like having THREE vehicles...
My 88 Mitsubishi colt (30s mpg), my Dodge truck (Big and safe, and comfortable, and able to haul crap) and then throwing in a cool camper for free. And only having to maintain and carry insurance for one vehicle.

Home appreciation is skewed as the new value is in much smaller dollars. Lot of inflation over those +20 years. Coffee, tuition, fuel, utilities, taxes etc, were all much less back then.

Not fair to compare the prices of things now and back then. The value of each of those dollars and gotten smaller.

Hard thing is that the government will tax you when you sell the appreciated house as if it was all a profit. The real profit was actually much smaller when you take inflation into consideration.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Home appreciation is skewed as the new value is in much smaller dollars. Lot of inflation over those +20 years. Coffee, tuition, fuel, utilities, taxes etc, were all much less back then.

Not fair to compare the prices of things now and back then. The value of each of those dollars and gotten smaller.

Hard thing is that the government will tax you when you sell the appreciated house as if it was all a profit. The real profit was actually much smaller when you take inflation into consideration.
I understand..you live in Cali. So you talk like you know something when you never have. Now tell me, how many homes have you sold?