Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said at the latest shareholders meeting that they are building/have built (not sure, he wasn't clear) the largest paint booth in the world which will do all SEX models...

I believe he said that by the time Model X is in production, the paint shop dept will already have the capacity of painting 10,000 cars a week. In the National Geographic documentary, it stated the baking time of each car is 6 hours. That is 4 cars per 24 hours. If that is still true, then Tesla will need to bake 500 cars at a time assuming the factory runs 24 hours Mon - Fri

Of course 10,000/wk equates to 500K cars a year, ten times the current demand. They may have layed out the foot print for that much capacity, but never would have spent the capital dollars on it. It would be a real waste of money this early.

Back to numbers, 10,000 cars per week @ 6 hours per car is 500 cars drying at any time, at 15 sq meters of space per car or 7500 sq meters of drying cars. ===> 2 acres of cars conservatively .... And considering the fact that each body is on a carrier, sounds like a lot of capital

Getting back to basics, the missing number is CYCLE time to make a car.."how many days"?

with that we can calculate the line parameters --- for fun

A friend of mine got his P85D in the States some time ago - but they did not deliver it with the Next Gen Seats at the time. He recently sent me this email:

"I got my NextGen seats yesterday. I'll take some pics and play with the rear seats, but I think they look nicer in the back than the old ones and the front ones hold you so well ... I used to have to hang on to the steering wheel when navigating some sharp bends at 100kph+ but now the seats just hold me snugly."

Glad that I got the NextGen Seats. Also got them at a time when they applied to the back seats, not just the front. I think it is sad that they no longer do that. I am guessing that they are just saving money rather than improving design.

Likewise mine has slipped from Late September to Late October.
This seems a little strange as I saw an Elon tweet yesterday that said something like the RHD Dual motor hold up had now been fixed. That tweet disappeared not long after. Would be interesting to know if anyone else saw that tweet.
The process is that the timetabling is under the control of Fremont until it actually becomes real then OZ takes over and adds some local padding.

Email from Tesla earlier today:

Good Afternoon,

I wanted to email you personally to explain the slight shift you may have noticed in your Delivery Estimate.
The Right Hand Drive Model S 70D, 85D and P85D have recently entered production, however the ramp up to full output is taking a little longer than expected. This has resulted in some Model S orders having their build slot resequenced back by up to a few weeks.
The team at the factory need to ensure we are producing Model S up to a quality expected by our customers and I am doing everything I can on my end to accelerate the process of getting you behind the wheel of your Model S as soon as possible.
You’ll also notice later this week that your ‘Estimated Delivery’ will be removed from your MyTesla portal. The intention is that I will inform you of any meaningful updates rather than a surprise when visiting the portal. I have the most up-to-date information on hand and in a much better position to explain any changes.
Of course, I’ll continue to keep you updated and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any concerns.

.....roll on December!