Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone considered why they called it the 'D'? Is this all marketing?

I mean, don't get me wrong, since I purchased my P85D, I have read all the articles, watched all the YouTubes and have generally turned into the biggest D'head known to my family!

But honestly - it just seems a little obvious to me. I mean, we refer to a "Twin Engine Cessna" - so why not, P85T?

I know sex sells and everything...though I am not in a rush to tell my wife that I bought her the biggest electric D I could find!

Other suggestions:
Twin
Binary
Joint
Parallel
Twofold
Paired

Possibilities are endless. But let's face it. The others just seem so... impotent.

Have you guys read this

"Customers can order a Dual Motor Model S today. Deliveries of P85D begin in December for North America, to be followed by 85D in February. Deliveries to Europe and Asia will follow in the months afterwards."

full text
www.teslamotors.com/blog/dual-motor-model-s-and-autopilot

i guess Australia is reckoned as part of Asia... So my guess is they start making the Ausie models in April or May and ship from there... Hence expected June/July

Have you guys read this

"Customers can order a Dual Motor Model S today. Deliveries of P85D begin in December for North America, to be followed by 85D in February. Deliveries to Europe and Asia will follow in the months afterwards."

full text
www.teslamotors.com/blog/dual-motor-model-s-and-autopilot

i guess Australia is reckoned as part of Asia... So my guess is they start making the Ausie models in April or May and ship from there... Hence expected June/July

The first D cars are being quoted as late May delivery so I'm guessing AU production starts April.

And anyway... why the letter 'D'?

I mean we don't refer to a 'TWIN Engine Cessna' as a 'DUEL engine Cessna'.

It just seems a little obvious to me. Don't get me wrong. Having bought my P85D I have read all the reviews, watched all the youtubes, exhausted all the forums, and generally turned into the biggest D'head known to my family.

But there were other possibilities you know:
Could have had P85X Where X=: Binary, Coupled, Joint, Paired, Second, Twofold... the possibilities are endless.

But let's face it... this is just another example of sex selling. It's all in the advertising. When Elon Musk launched the 'D', they had a great big 'D' painted on the auto doors. So they could refer to it as 'THE D'. The 'T' just doesn't have the same ring to it. I guess when Mr T was launched as a brand name, it would have changed the PG rating if they had instead called him Mr D. And I for one aint game enough to tell my wife that I have just bought her the biggest most expensive electric D I could find.

But what bugs me is, what must Tesla think of us customers? Most people interested in Teslas (and I 'spose the need for speed) are guys anyway, but you'd have to be Rick Doubledick to rock up and go for duel. So they say bigger is better and never more aptly referred to than when one is referring to the 'D'.

It just seems a little obvious to me. Don't get me wrong. Having bought my P85D I have read all the reviews, watched all the youtubes, exhausted all the forums, and generally turned into the biggest D'head known to my family.

Could have had P85X Where X=: Binary, Coupled, Joint, Paired, Second, Twofold... the possibilities are endless.

But let's face it... this is just another example of sex selling. It's all in the advertising. When Elon Musk launched the 'D', they had a great big 'D' painted on the auto doors. So they could refer to it as 'THE D'. The 'T' just doesn't have the same ring to it. I guess when Mr T was launched as a brand name, it would have changed the PG rating if they had instead called him Mr D. And I for one aint game enough to tell my wife that I have just bought her the biggest most expensive electric D I could find.

But what bugs me is, what must Tesla think of us customers? Most people interested in Teslas (and I 'spose the need for speed) are guys anyway, but you'd have to be Rick Doubledick to rock up and go for duel. So they say bigger is better and never more aptly referred to than when one is referring to the 'D'.

Unless the wiring to one motor is reversed I hope the motors won't be duel? That would be rather counter productive? ;-)

NEXT GEN SEATS....

So... noticed that the next gen seats are only available for the D?

I confess I have ordered this option.... Have I been ripped?

The salesman said to me that the dividers between the back seats have been removed because they had trouble folding down...Anyone else heard that? So when I said what's the point of them, he said I had to get them because they were so much better in comfort not just in looks. And as far as looks go, only the back headrests seem to have been made bigger - and that just blocks your view anyway....

Sometimes I think the only time a person wants leather in a car is at the time of purchase.... after that, no one gives a half hoot whether they are cloth or potato sacks...

NEXT GEN SEATS....

So... noticed that the next gen seats are only available for the D?

I confess I have ordered this option.... Have I been ripped?

The salesman said to me that the dividers between the back seats have been removed because they had trouble folding down...Anyone else heard that? So when I said what's the point of them, he said I had to get them because they were so much better in comfort not just in looks. And as far as looks go, only the back headrests seem to have been made bigger - and that just blocks your view anyway....

Sometimes I think the only time a person wants leather in a car is at the time of purchase.... after that, no one gives a half hoot whether they are cloth or potato sacks...

And the bigger headrests may be very important given the neck snapping acceleration!

The front and back motors are different so Twin, etc wouldn't really apply. In the specs now they have altered some of the wording from dual motor to all wheel drive.

Car was completed 31 Dec 2014 (1 Jan 2015 here) and has supposedly been on its way since. Tesla Sydney assure me it's on a ship:)

Ray

Well that sux... Wouldn't you just want:
i) a tracking number
ii) Live video feed of the cargo container on board
iii) Live GPS updates of the ship's progress
iv) Instantaneous weather reports
v) Personal satellite mobile phone of the Captain and crew
vi) Email address of the CEO of the shipping company

I could go on, but the rest might sound a little unreasonable... :-D