Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They travel very slowly, around 30 knots. 10% faster is like a speeding lunatic, although over 20 days 10% faster is a big deal on time, but also on fuel consumed. They may use 50% more fuel to achieve that.

30 knots is actually pretty fast on water - the fuel savings in going slower can be pretty huge - I'd expect that they'd be more like 18-20 knots. I know that they slowed down quite a lot just post GFC to save fuel. Ocean shipping lines cut speed to save fuel costs - latimes

30 knots is actually pretty fast on water - the fuel savings in going slower can be pretty huge - I'd expect that they'd be more like 18-20 knots. I know that they slowed down quite a lot just post GFC to save fuel. Ocean shipping lines cut speed to save fuel costs - latimes

Hey that was quite an interesting article Mark E.

MarineTraffic seems to average them at 18kn.

Also it looks like the Cap Blanche is dead in the water. Hasn't moved for days now.

I was told today my car is sailing. Due for a Sept pick-up.

Oohh this waiting is sooo unfair.

P.s. I doubt Ludicrous mode will happen this side of XMass...

Hey that was quite an interesting article Mark E.

MarineTraffic seems to average them at 18kn.

Also it looks like the Cap Blanche is dead in the water. Hasn't moved for days now.

I was told today my car is sailing. Due for a Sept pick-up.

Oohh this waiting is sooo unfair.

P.s. I doubt Ludicrous mode will happen this side of XMass...

Great news ZTrekus, not long to go now.
Haven't started building mine yet.

So which one do you think: GUENTHER SCHULTE or CAP CAPRICORN

Last edited:
Great news ZTrekus, not long to go now.
Haven't started building mine yet.

So which one do you think: GUENTHER SCHULTE or CAP CAPRICORN

Exactly right brewster, I figure it must be one or the other, and my guess is the former.

brewster, what is your vin? I am truly surprised that you have not been built yet. All I can think is that they must have got stacks of orders world wide between Feb and April and they are building them first - hence my question re the vin...

Exactly right brewster, I figure it must be one or the other, and my guess is the former.

brewster, what is your vin? I am truly surprised that you have not been built yet. All I can think is that they must have got stacks of orders world wide between Feb and April and they are building them first - hence my question re the vin...

Prefered Delivery was changed by the system to October quite some time ago, so I guess it is sort of planned around that.
VIN allocated on the 6th June.
xxxx093076

Prefered Delivery was changed by the system to October quite some time ago, so I guess it is sort of planned around that.
xxxx093076

OK, I have a new theory... my VIN is XXX90410 which is not that different to yours. BUT Tesla knows that there is no hope of delivering yours before quarter end 30 Sep 2015 so they are not bothering to try. Since it is all about racking up completed sales by quarter end, then the Aussie orders are shipped towards the end of quarters and the beginning of the next in order that the sales complete by the end of that next quarter. So the theory is that Tesla busted a gut to get the original Aussie orders off and completed by 30 Sep 2015, but for the orders that will complete on the other side of that date, it is more worthwhile completing local US orders that will close before 30 Sept than international orders that won't. So I'm afraid you are being leap-frogged by the local US orders for the moment. And that's just the Aussie curse. But take heart - It will look really bad for Tesla if yours does not complete by 31 Dec 2015 - just sayin'...

xxxx093076

Hey Brewster, My guess is that yours will go into production by the end of next week. It seems that the wait time for US customers is not that bad at the moment (6 or 7 weeks), so I cant see any reason why they would delay your delivery any further. If ZTrekus is correct it would mean that Tesla would only deliver vehicles during a few periods throughout the year (into Australia), and this does not seem to be the case. It's worth noting that I have seen something about a 2 week shutdown of the factory on some of the forums, however I am not sure if this is correct.

Fingers crossed for you!

looking at your VIN it looks like mine will be about 1 hour behind yours in the line when they finally do go into production.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Yes WA-T3sla I noticed we ordered pretty close together.

Gee, this selling privately is not much fun and haven't done before, always been a trade-in. Anyone got some advice on what to look out for?

- - - Updated - - -

xxxx093076

Hey Brewster, My guess is that yours will go into production by the end of next week. It seems that the wait time for US customers is not that bad at the moment (6 or 7 weeks), so I cant see any reason why they would delay your delivery any further. If ZTrekus is correct it would mean that Tesla would only deliver vehicles during a few periods throughout the year (into Australia), and this does not seem to be the case. It's worth noting that I have seen something about a 2 week shutdown of the factory on some of the forums, however I am not sure if this is correct.

Fingers crossed for you!

Hope you're right Trav.