Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping Ludicrous arrives while it's over there. ;) Meanwhile, I can track it on its way.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I am giving it a week or so before I draw too many conclusions as I find the "WOW factor" of the technology initially overwhelms objectivity about the car in general.

Like Mark, I have quite a bit of experience with very fast cars so that side of it isn't too shocking. What is great about all that HP and Torque being instantaneously available is that you can punch into gaps in the traffic that wouldn't be feasible in most petrol engined cars. I hadn't thought about the performance much beyond the
0-100kmh launch so that aspect was a pleasant surprise. I took my Sparky for a ride as he had never been in an electric car and his reaction was absolutely hilarious, so for most people it comes as a major shock :p

As for the handling, it corners very, very flat as you would expect with the low centre of gravity that comes with the battery pack being so close to the ground. When provoked to change direction mid corner with a bit of speed on board it doesn't bite and it's reactions are quite benign. Ultimately it is the very high weight that becomes noticeable the closer you get to the limit. You just can't beat the laws of physics at the end of the day. The overriding characteristic at that point is understeer which is to be expected in a family car.

All in all it has been an interesting first 500 km's with the P85D. I think you really need to view it as a fast commuter car rather than a sporty GT.

Nice pics and interesting comments 360...always looking for pics of red cars since I changed to red...and yes sorry to hear about your car mhh though I'll bet it'll be fixed & returned unbelievably quickly. Guess the McLaren has to go to Melbourne too occasionally :)

Thanks, 360C.
it will be odd going from something small and wieldy to the beast, but quieter is something I'm looking forward to....

HONESTLY - It's like driving a bus! Here is a photo of my parking spot in the city. It took me almost one hour to manoeuvre into this damn tight fit! Parking in between two concrete pillars.

IMG_0372.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG

I realised two things that I didn't realise before:

1. It is absolutely impossible to see the area adjacent the passenger side wheel arch from the driver's seat. I had to get out of the car several times and walk around to get a feel for it. HOWEVER, it can be seen of course from the dipped passenger side mirror and this becomes absolutely 100% essential in backing into a tight fit - although that mirror too needed to be tucked in when it's turn came around!

2. As the car approaches these concrete structures from different angels, its sensors naturally kept barking STOP at you and getting red in the face. That bit was obvious. But what I didn't know, is that every so often, the car literally refused to move another inch and it THROWS THE CAR INTO PARK! Talk about stubborn! So with beads of sweat dripping down my face and neck, and making subtle changes to the parallel lines in the sensor display, I continually put the car back into reverse and gently coaxed the mule into taking another step towards the end of the cliff. But like God said when he made the human nose the Tesla also said, "Thus far and no farther!"

I'm at work now - and I am all shook up! There are only 3 possibilities:

1. I am going to prang my sparkling brand new car; and/or
2. I am going to give up this very nicely located car space for which I have already paid 2 months in advance for and took me ages to find; or
3. This is going to be my daily routine - like going 12 rounds with Muhummad Ali!

By some miracle, there was no other car coming into the car park as I was going back and forth for so long and taking up the main line of traffic. I really wouldn't have known what to do in that case.

I should point out that there is a wall in front of the car too! So it is not as if the car will exit that space in a nice straight line. It will involve coming out and moving over to the right - and yes I fear it, swinging my rear into those bloody columns! AND even then, it will involve more back and forth manoeuvres to turn the car 90 degrees without leaving any paint behind!

Last edited:
Should I be bailing? BMW M5? AMG C63???

ICUDoc: That is my wife's solution. She just wants me to take back the i3 which fits nicely in that spot and oh me oh my, she just ends up with my brand new Tesla to take to work each day!

Raynewman: Thanks I did not know that. I did have my belt off and I was jumping up in the driver's seat to try and glimpse my blind spots.

917Stark: Very funny. That guy deserves a medal!

mhh: I hear ya man... I'll try it again and see if it is easier the second time. In the meantime, I am giving serious consideration to putting some sort of padding protection on the pillars in case they want to screw with me.

Dborn: Yes as a matter of fact Dborn, I was thinking about your warning this morning. Now I know what you mean.

Kerion: That is an incredible photo. I am sure my spot is NOT that tight. I also gave consideration to jumping out of the back seat but I solved that problem by leaving the car jutting out a bit at the front so that my front door can swing clear of the column.