Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi ZTrekus.

i looked at my dashboard yesterday (first time in a while) and, YES, I have my chassis number. All of a sudden my 'D' is becoming very real. :)

DAMN... My delivery date just got bumped from 'July' to 'Late July'

On one interpretation, they are just being more specific... But I am figuring they mean LATE as in, DEAD.... As in, "July, R.I.P"...

:-(

And what's even more annoying...the Aussie website indicates that if one were to buy a brand new P85D right now... the expected delivery time would be "June".... As in, I am so far back in the production queue, that even new-commers leap frog me! I guess not all queues are FIFO...

Last edited:
It's probably my fault, mine just changed from "Late June" to "July" and took your place in the queue :p

And what's even more annoying...the Aussie website indicates that if one were to buy a brand new P85D right now... the expected delivery time would be "June".... As in, I am so far back in the production queue, that even new-commers leap frog me! I guess not all queues are FIFO...
That is very concerning indeed.

On one interpretation, they are just being more specific... But I am figuring they mean LATE as in, DEAD.... As in, "July, R.I.P"...

:-(

I'm not sure what the average wait time is here but I confirmed my S in early Jan and my delivery date is May - at least 4 months!

Yes, now that I've just checked I'm also now June. It was originally March:cursing:

Well I have just noticed that the Australian Tesla website is now suggesting a SEPTEMBER delivery for NEW DUEL cars... (bumped from June).

The way I figure it, the factory produces the Aussie dual vehicles in batches (I understand that it is a separate assembly line to the standard non-dual cars). The original first batch which was expected around March has blown out to June/July. I am wondering if that is because of a shortage of orders... i.e., it wasn't worth the factory changing the assembly line for such a small number. (If this analysis is true, I am just thankful that my early Feb order made it in the June/July batch with the rest of the much earlier October 2014 orders. Coz I would bloody hate to wait until September!!!)

Well I have just noticed that the Australian Tesla website is now suggesting a SEPTEMBER delivery for NEW DUEL cars... (bumped from June).

The way I figure it, the factory produces the Aussie dual vehicles in batches (I understand that it is a separate assembly line to the standard non-dual cars). The original first batch which was expected around March has blown out to June/July. I am wondering if that is because of a shortage of orders... i.e., it wasn't worth the factory changing the assembly line for such a small number. (If this analysis is true, I am just thankful that my early Feb order made it in the June/July batch with the rest of the much earlier October 2014 orders. Coz I would bloody hate to wait until September!!!)

My understanding is that the factory typically produces overseas cars in the first half of a quarter and North American cars in the second half , so all deliveries will happen towards the end of a quarter after you factor in the month-long shipping time.

"Here's where Tesla plans to build its supercharger network in Australia"

Here's Where Tesla Plans To Build Its Supercharger Network in Australia | Gizmodo Australia

ok that wasn't necessarily D thread material, so I will add the following:

A US friend of mine has had the P85d now for 2 months and he says that he drives around always in Insane mode... It is perfectly balanced so that only when the pedal gets close to the floor does the car take off, but you can easily creep forward just a few inches by lightly tapping the accellerator - even in insane mode.... So that's what I plan on doing... (I presume he has creep off which is also what I plan to do)

It's probably my fault, mine just changed from "Late June" to "July" and took your place in the queue :p

That is very concerning indeed.

I have a theory that there's an employee at the Tesla factory with a warped sense of humour, he/she randomly changes Aussie owners delivery dates then in the lunchroom they all gather round the laptop and read the Aussie section of the Tesla owners club blog and see the reactions. I think giving them Crocodile Dundee LA was the last straw and we're paying for it now.
In saying that I'm busy in early April so delivery at that time would be very inconvenient, lol.

I've also been bumped from June to July to late July. I think the delay is all down to the "US West Coast Labor (sic) Negotiations". They may even have to ship our cars out of the eastern US.

I'm afraid folks that that is WISHFUL thinking. I fear the problem is more fundamental than that. Consider:

The Australian Tesla website (re ordering/designing the Model S) has a Late May estimate for NON-DUAL cars, but a SEPTEMBER estimate for DUAL cars - WHICH RECENTLY CHANGED FROM JUNE.

We know from a previous Tesla press release that when Tesla upgraded their factory in November last year, they introduced a new assembly line for the DUAL cars.

Since, the standard Model S NON DUAL cars are not delayed, then we can presume that something must have happened to delay the DUAL assembly line, and thus delay the next Australian production batch from commencing.

The good news is that we all appear to be in the Production Queue for the forthcoming batch - as opposed to the one after that that is expected in September if we were to order the car as of today.

------
SteveWest - please clarify. I thought you got a P85+ delivered in September last year. Did you get a P85D as well - expected now in late July??

Last edited: