Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phuk Phuk Phuk. Damn spot at work was so tight it was an accident waiting to happen. Had to make do with touch up paint. Phuk

imagejpeg
image.jpeg

Fully empathic with you there, mate. It hurts a LOT to see stuff like this.
Hope you feel better soon and the touch-up paint does a good job.
Enjoying it otherwise? Had a fang on any nice twisty bits at all???

Thanks ICUDoc, actually the touch-up paint has done a wonderful job. Still see it of course when you look directly at it, but at least it doesn't catch your eye and shout SUCKED-IN DUDE!

It really ruined my day actually. Happened in the morning and then naturally couldn't get it out of my mind knowing that the car looked like that. Went out of my way to go get touch-up paint that afternoon.

But the autopilot works UNREAL on the Harbour Bridge, Harbour Tunnel and the surrounding freeways!!!

Phuk Phuk Phuk. Damn spot at work was so tight it was an accident waiting to happen. Had to make do with touch up paint. Phuk

imagejpeg
Just had a similar incident on one of mine, caused by another driver but same area on the car. A mobile guy came out and repaired it good as new in about 3 hours for a few hundred bucks. Different city, but heaps easier than crash repairers for cosmetic repairs. Same process and same paint.

imagejpeg
View attachment 99916
if there is not a significant dent, pm me and I will supply you with the name of a guy who will fix that for a very reasonable price at a venue of your choosing. If there is a dent that would be tolerable if the paint was smooth, ditto. I have given his name to at 3 separate people who have all been satisfied, including myself.

We have had a couple of days of rain now, and I just wanted to say how incredibly impressed I am with the traction of the P85D in the rain.

It is almost impossible to spin the wheels, even doing an insane burn-off in the wet. It became really obvious when an old bomb pulled-up next to me and needed to cut in front of me. I let him of course, but in his effort to do so, his back wheels spun at such a low speed, it practically made me laugh.

It is extremely impressive how the car can take off at lights leaving all others behind at the line spinning their wheels. I would not have dreamed it possible actually. It also gives you a lot of confidence on the wet road.

We have had a couple of days of rain now, and I just wanted to say how incredibly impressed I am with the traction of the P85D in the rain.

It is almost impossible to spin the wheels, even doing an insane burn-off in the wet. It became really obvious when an old bomb pulled-up next to me and needed to cut in front of me. I let him of course, but in his effort to do so, his back wheels spun at such a low speed, it practically made me laugh.

It is extremely impressive how the car can take off at lights leaving all others behind at the line spinning their wheels. I would not have dreamed it possible actually. It also gives you a lot of confidence on the wet road.
The feedback loop for traction control in an EV is magnitudes faster that in an ICE. The ICE measures the slip, then adjust the fuel and air mixture and waits for the next reading of slip to adjust it even more.

With an EV, traction control uses torque vectoring, where it basically limits the current to the wheels so that they are always just under the limit of traction. It's way more accurate and a way way more responsive feedback loop.

The feedback loop for traction control in an EV is magnitudes faster that in an ICE. The ICE measures the slip, then adjust the fuel and air mixture and waits for the next reading of slip to adjust it even more.

With an EV, traction control uses torque vectoring, where it basically limits the current to the wheels so that they are always just under the limit of traction. It's way more accurate and a way way more responsive feedback loop.

I didn't know that - but it sounds right to me... Also the dual motors must factor into all that too no doubt...

What do we mean by "torque vectoring"?

I'd like to add my view to this thread. I'm not sure we are really talking about true torque vectoring here.

I do not believe the Model S has a true torque vectoring differential (although the Model X may have). It has a conventional "open" differential, and thus cannot adjust torque between left and right wheels (though it can of course adjust torque front and rear by varying the power of the two motors).

AWD ICE cars may or may not have torque vectoring, but generally only the most expensive, advanced models have this feature. The torque vectoring is controlled by the differential, rather than the engine. And as we know, some cheaper systems (often called ASC or ESC) apply the brakes to a single wheel that is slipping and thus force more power to the wheel on the other side, via the differential. This technology may also be used in the Model S to control loss of traction on one side or the other (I don't know for sure).

This web page has a useful discussion of torque vectoring: Torque Vectoring and Active Differential On another page, it also lists the manufacturers and cars that use torque vectoring.

For an EV to have full torque vectoring, it needs either torque vectoring differentials (exactly the same as those deployed in ICE cars) or 4 motors. Mercedes has an EV with 4 motors and torque vectoring:
2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive Photos and Info Car and Driver