Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that sux... Wouldn't you just want:
i) a tracking number
ii) Live video feed of the cargo container on board
iii) Live GPS updates of the ship's progress
iv) Instantaneous weather reports
v) Personal satellite mobile phone of the Captain and crew
vi) Email address of the CEO of the shipping company

I could go on, but the rest might sound a little unreasonable... :-D

Yeah - they won't even give me the name of the ship so I don't go and get all the rest.

Yeah, I did actually try and get the ships name while mine was en route. NO Dice. With the name you can track using Marinetraffic.com. A very handy free website!!

WELL - when I first went in to the Tesla showroom, I had a convo with the salesman to the following effect:
I said: Toyota have their own ship to transport their cars. What does Tesla do?
He said: We use Maersk to transport them.

Assuming the guy knew what he was talking about, and noting that Fremont California is on the West Coast (probably ships from Los Angeles), then a quick Google search shows the route:

Australia to United States West Coast

A lot of IF'S of course - but when you are home twiddling your thumbs and waiting for a car to be shipped - all you can do is play the IF'S...

WELL - when I first went in to the Tesla showroom, I had a convo with the salesman to the following effect:

Assuming the guy knew what he was talking about, and noting that Fremont California is on the West Coast (probably ships from Los Angeles), then a quick Google search shows the route:

A lot of IF'S of course - but when you are home twiddling your thumbs and waiting for a car to be shipped - all you can do is play the IF'S...
No wonder it takes so long, Australia via Yokohama!

I hope for your sake, that it's more like this route: PSW - Southbound

I CONFESS I HAVE A FEW MISGIVINGS ABOUT THE D

Are any of you guys also a little concerned about buying the D? I mean I understand the benefits - an insane mode, super fast, impress the friends etc... I get that... In fact 'I GOT' that...

BUT those benefits are surely short term - I mean we aint gunna burn off every red light in insane mode! Now those short term pleasures come at a significant reduction in range due to the extra weight. You realise when Elon Musk talks about the increased range and efficiencies with two motors, he is not referring to the P85D but the other duel drive 85D - the one without the Insane mode - it has the smaller engine in the back. Whereas we got the huge heavy engine in the back as well as the extra weight in the front.

SO - we have increased energy expenditure just to haul our ass (ok, electricity cost may be negligible, especially compared with petrol prices), BUT, and this really gets me, even when we drive around on a day to day basis in SPORTY mode, we will always have the reduced range due to the extra weight. And when we do go driving to the Hunter Valley, or ACT, or on other longer journeys, that can be a little frightening...and was it worth it? Not to mention the extra upfront cost...

Now I try to justify/rationalise it this way. If you need a 1 amp from a transformer, it is better to have a 5 amp transformer purring out 1 amp, than a 1 amp transformer slogging its guts out day in day out. Similarly, when you cruise around in SPORTY mode, it is better to have the huge D engines purring away - than to have the smaller engines slogging their guts out all the time. But deep down inside, I know that that argument is bullsh*t. Even the smaller motors are supposed to last as long as the car - and since we get reduced range, then by definition, we get reduced efficiency - day in, day out...

So what do you guys think? I am not suggesting that this argument is enough to change one's mind. I would buy the P85D all over again (though I am not sure I would once the thrill of the fast accel eventually wears off). Anyone else with mixed feelings though?

Are any of you guys also a little concerned about buying the D? I mean I understand the benefits - an insane mode, super fast, impress the friends etc... I get that... In fact 'I GOT' that...

BUT those benefits are surely short term - I mean we aint gunna burn off every red light in insane mode! Now those short term pleasures come at a significant reduction in range due to the extra weight. You realise when Elon Musk talks about the increased range and efficiencies with two motors, he is not referring to the P85D but the other duel drive 85D - the one without the Insane mode - it has the smaller engine in the back. Whereas we got the huge heavy engine in the back as well as the extra weight in the front.

SO - we have increased energy expenditure just to haul our ass (ok, electricity cost may be negligible, especially compared with petrol prices), BUT, and this really gets me, even when we drive around on a day to day basis in SPORTY mode, we will always have the reduced range due to the extra weight. And when we do go driving to the Hunter Valley, or ACT, or on other longer journeys, that can be a little frightening...and was it worth it? Not to mention the extra upfront cost...

Now I try to justify/rationalise it this way. If you need a 1 amp from a transformer, it is better to have a 5 amp transformer purring out 1 amp, than a 1 amp transformer slogging its guts out day in day out. Similarly, when you cruise around in SPORTY mode, it is better to have the huge D engines purring away - than to have the smaller engines slogging their guts out all the time. But deep down inside, I know that that argument is bullsh*t. Even the smaller motors are supposed to last as long as the car - and since we get reduced range, then by definition, we get reduced efficiency - day in, day out...

So what do you guys think? I am not suggesting that this argument is enough to change one's mind. I would buy the P85D all over again (though I am not sure I would once the thrill of the fast accel eventually wears off). Anyone else with mixed feelings though?

No regrets at all ZTrekus, just remember your getting a Model S, she'll be right mate!

Ztrekus, I guess like all other vehicles it is driving style that is the largest single determinant of range. Don't worry about a few extra Km's here and there, you'll be in the fastest and most desirable 4 door car ever made. You've bought an iconic vehicle that will be talked and written about for generations, so be happy!
oh and I reckon you can guess I have no misgivings about my own order. Except every day I change my mind about what the best colour is!

I understand your point, I thought about a D for a few moments but one of the main attractions of the Tesla S is that it's a simple car. 21" wheels make it less simple, 2 motors and then CV joints etc make it more complex again.

Interesting. I was told they use Toll, but to know the actual shipping line would seem to narrow down the possibilities significantly!

Interesting. I was told they use Toll, but to know the actual shipping line would seem to narrow down the possibilities significantly!

After some research and review, I'm guessing my car, along with several others is currently on the SAFMARINE MAFADI (see below). This would fit with the timing I've been told to expect. Assuming Port arrival 27 Feb, how long would folks expect the car to be unloaded, cleared customs, prepped and ready for delivery? 3 weeks?

Sorry - I know this has nothing to do with D, but am continuing the thread discussion.....
Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 1.48.39 pm.png

After some research and review, I'm guessing my car, along with several others is currently on the SAFMARINE MAFADI (see below). This would fit with the timing I've been told to expect. Assuming Port arrival 27 Feb, how long would folks expect the car to be unloaded, cleared customs, prepped and ready for delivery? 3 weeks?

Sorry - I know this has nothing to do with D, but am continuing the thread discussion.....
View attachment 72732

I've just been told mine's coming via Auckland and is almost to NZ so that doesn't match :(

Ray