Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The day finally arrives. You get your Model 3! Then what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I've noticed this in my thoughts, and I'm sure others have too.

You get the delivery date for your 3. The culmination of a year and a half of waiting is almost here! Then the day comes, and you go to pick it up, and drive it home.

Then what?

I started thinking about this the other day. It'll seem almost anticlimactic. I have an awesome '11 Challenger R/T, and I don't want to pay 2 car payments, so it'll have to get sold soon after I get my 3. I'll miss it.

I'm sure things will be fine, but getting the 3 will not be the end all be all of human existence. Life won't change that dramatically.

I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

I will install the car seats and my kids will pepper the backseat with cheerios, fruit snacks and sand box sand. My son will think the car is his new "police car" and crawl around in the front seat pretending to arrest bad guys and test the strength of the center console mount. Windows will be immediately smudged with fingerprints and boogers. That sums up about the first hour. After that one of the rugrats will likely christen the exterior by running a bike into it or smacking it with a broom handle "on accident".
Someone will have the great idea for a family drive to, I don't know, probably Dairy Queen so the kids can cement the Cheerios in place and get to work replacing the new car smell with sour dairy.

:p

You get the delivery date for your 3. The culmination of a year and a half of waiting is almost here! Then the day comes, and you go to pick it up, and drive it home.

Then what?

I started thinking about this the other day. It'll seem almost anticlimactic. I have an awesome '11 Challenger R/T, and I don't want to pay 2 car payments, so it'll have to get sold soon after I get my 3. I'll miss it.

I'm sure things will be fine, but getting the 3 will not be the end all be all of human existence. Life won't change that dramatically.

I would expect the day to go like this:
(1) Be incredibly nervous that it'll have horrible defects and I'll have to reject it
(2) Find it's OK
(3) Having stomach wrench as I hand over a large chunk of money* (happens with every car).
I might possible
(3) Possibly cry tears of joy*
(4) Briefly ponder the fact that this might be the last car I buy.
(5) Drive home (with 1 Supercharger stop).
(6) Enjoy the significant increase*** in electric driving and reduction in gasoline consumption

It wouldn't be anticlimactic for me because our Volt is my wife's commuter, so I currently don't get to drive electric as much as she does. My commute just gives me some engine off time in my Prius.

Of course, this is all assuming that I end up with a Model 3. There's always the possibility that it doesn't meet my requirements and I end up with a Bolt or Gen 2 Leaf.

* happens with every car I've bought
** It wouldn't be because _I_ have the car, but because I _have_ the car, which would really solidify internalize that fact that I and so many others have a car that's Tesla's raison d'etre, and part of the generation of vehicles that establishes the electric vehicle market as self-sustaining. Because I think that the ultimate benefits of electrification of transportation could be mind-boggling huge so simply being a self-sustaining market would be a huge positive step.
*** We have a Volt and a Prius. Volt is 50-odd % electric.

I hope they hand it over with a decent charge already onboard because that first day (night?) I have to get some k's in. Have a mountain range to climb and enjoy regen braking for the first time on the descent.

Okay, so the script might not be followed but I've been hanging out for an EV for too long for it to be dull.

Then what?

Then you'll quickly get used the idea of no more gas stations. Ever.
You'll take a moment every time you drive, to enjoy the smooth, quiet, lightning quick acceleration and planted cornering of one of the finest driving machines on the planet and smile; because you can't help it.
Then you'll find it hard to believe you thought the vibrations and noise and general last century "tech" of your former car were something you could be happy with the rest of your life.
You'll love pre-heating your car in the winter and pre-cooling it on hot summer days before you enter.

And you'll say to yourself (and probably all those who haven't gotten tired of listening), damn why did I take so long to do this?

Then what?

I still tinker with the online configurator, even though I've had my Model S for 8 months :)
Hmm, those white seats look good, should I trade?

After 8 years of driving electric, I still smile when I go out in the garage and see our electric cars.

Driving electric is awesome. Much better than anticipating getting a new car. When you get the car us just the beginning.

As I am only going to lease the Model 3 and keep my current car for the time being (albeit probably deregistered), I don't feel too much anxiety really. I have test-driven quite a few BEVs by now and am certainly looking forward to finally getting my Model 3, but the novelty has already worn off. The most stressful thing about finally getting my Model 3 will be the first few months, managing all the test-drives I have promised eagerly waiting family, friends and colleagues ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: ChadS
Then what?

Then you will addict to the smooth ride, fast response/amazing acceleration in every intersection and one paddle driving.

And then one day you will realize that it has been a while since your last visit to gas station and then you will appreciate that you have a full 'tank' of electrons waiting for you every morning.

Then you will find out that the daily commute is much more tolerable (not including driving in the carpool lane).

And then you will realize that with a bit of planning ahead range anxiety is much overrated and find youself spreading the gospel of EV.

Then you will think ICE should disappear from the face of earth.

I have had my Tesla MX for 14 months and I can say that I am still so happy sitting on the driver seat every time!
and ICE disappear from my home garage.

Just like every other Tesla I've bought-First I take a video of it. I then take multiple pictures of it.
I then get a poster made from the best picture I took. I then park it in the garage until I want to drive it. My new model S being the 4th Tesla-it's not a big deal anymore, but your first tesla does put a huge smile on your face-your heart is a race-and you don't sleep well as you want to drive your car all the time.
More than likely, like my new Gold plated S-I give test rides in it for a day in town once a month.
I do have another presentation going for new model 3 owners in the area-how to get familiar with your new model 3 in January next yr. I don't expect many to have them by that time so I might push the date back a little bit.

Reactions: S3XY