Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The day finally arrives. You get your Model 3! Then what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once the seats are worn in and the snow melts, this enormous road trip.

Attachments

• The Inner Loop.JPG
    The Inner Loop.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: NicoV
I don't think it's going to be too different from when I bought my Prius, except that the drive back will take a few hours since I'll probably have to pick it up in Cleveland and I live in Michigan. It'll probably take about half the drive to get everything adjusted the way I like. I have a friend who has offered to do a ceramic coat for me -- I'll probably take him up on it since this will hands-down be the most expensive car I've ever owned, so I'll probably still be driving the Prius for a few days until I can sell it.

Otherwise, the main thing will be to get in the habit of plugging it in every night. I'm pretty bad about doing that with my cell phone since I can completely charge it in the car on my commute; I'm trying to build the "plug-in" habit with my cell phone now so it will hopefully be second nature when the car comes. If I don't plug the car in, I definitely won't have enough range for my commute.

After that, I will be going from A to B as I always do, just a bit greener and with lower operating costs.

If I get mine in February as I suspect I'm probably not going to do too much (it's Buffalo you know). I'd like to take it on a nice long drive in the country to get used to the one pedal driving but not in the dead of winter. So I'll probably just do that locally. Although, I'm not sure where mine will be delivered so I might have a long drive regardless. I'm also looking forward to plugging it into my HPWC that's been hanging on my garage wall mocking me day after day for the last few months.

I will install the car seats and my kids will pepper the backseat with cheerios, fruit snacks and sand box sand. My son will think the car is his new "police car" and crawl around in the front seat pretending to arrest bad guys and test the strength of the center console mount. Windows will be immediately smudged with fingerprints and boogers. That sums up about the first hour. After that one of the rugrats will likely christen the exterior by running a bike into it or smacking it with a broom handle "on accident".
Someone will have the great idea for a family drive to, I don't know, probably Dairy Queen so the kids can cement the Cheerios in place and get to work replacing the new car smell with sour dairy.

:p

This will be mine haha!!! My son, who is 5, is so excited for me to get a Tesla. You should see some of the booger artwork I have in my truck right now.

Route 66 road trip! Down to Kingman, AZ to show to some friends, then east on 66, with photo ops at many, many classic 66 stops. Back home, then the next weekend do it again, in California. I totally need to get that car in front of the Roy's sign.

I already have two road trips planned, trip one is from the Fremont Factory down HW1 to LA (I would so like to take a tour first of the factory, have the delivery and then a small 'break in' road trip - first EV and all that).

Second is to visit family in Chicago "Oh Route 66 goes from LA to Chicago, you don't say!" Already planned the route via SC and a few detours for some local charm sight seeing, bonus to that is the other half's family is on route so a quick stop off there will be nice. Then cruise Chicago (Lower Wacker - Blues Brothers style!), back home via some more American heritage sites.

Failing that I'll just cruise Hollywood Blvd until the cops says "Move it" ;)

I will be making 2 million YouTube videos about 'My first drive in my Model 3', "walkaround with the Model 3', 'First time charging a Model 3', 'First Impressions', 'Things I like or don't like', 2 hour videos going through every possible settings and feature of the touch screen interface, a live stream of charging my Model 3 (AT HOME),

I'm just kidding. I don't even have one ordered. I'm waiting for the Model S V2. But I'm sure YouTube will be flooded with M3 videos pretty soon.

I would expect the day to go like this:
(1) Be incredibly nervous that it'll have horrible defects and I'll have to reject it
(2) Find it's OK
(3) Having stomach wrench as I hand over a large chunk of money* (happens with every car).
I might possible
(3) Possibly cry tears of joy*
(4) Briefly ponder the fact that this might be the last car I buy.
(5) Drive home (with 1 Supercharger stop).
(6) Enjoy the significant increase*** in electric driving and reduction in gasoline consumption

It wouldn't be anticlimactic for me because our Volt is my wife's commuter, so I currently don't get to drive electric as much as she does. My commute just gives me some engine off time in my Prius.

Of course, this is all assuming that I end up with a Model 3. There's always the possibility that it doesn't meet my requirements and I end up with a Bolt or Gen 2 Leaf.

* happens with every car I've bought
** It wouldn't be because _I_ have the car, but because I _have_ the car, which would really solidify internalize that fact that I and so many others have a car that's Tesla's raison d'etre, and part of the generation of vehicles that establishes the electric vehicle market as self-sustaining. Because I think that the ultimate benefits of electrification of transportation could be mind-boggling huge so simply being a self-sustaining market would be a huge positive step.
*** We have a Volt and a Prius. Volt is 50-odd % electric.

Agree with most of your comments:

1) Cry tears of joy! No more pouring 20 lbs of CO2 into the atmosphere for every gallon of gas I burn in a car!!!!!!!
2) After owning 36 vehicles, knowing this is the last car I will ever own.
3) If picking up in Fremont, spend time in San Fran to celebrate and then drive home to Phoenix
4) Show the car to every member of the family in Phoenix...they've been waiting as long as I have
5) Start the road trips to San Diego, Portland, Wisconsin, and Virginia to visit family and let them try out the car
6) After a year, take a road trip to D.C., New York, and Boston.

I would expect the day to go like this:
1. Wake up early with my garage all shined up for my new arrival.
2. Take Lyft to pick up car.
3. 90 minutes later pull out of the lot as a new Tesla owner.
4. Say to myself "Watch This!"
5. Say to myself "Wow, that was awesome, I wonder how long it is going to get a new one"
6. Take Lyft home and start designing a replacement for my now wrecked car.

I will likely take it directly to get a wrap / paint protection put on and window tint. I need to get that done before I get used to driving it. Otherwise I wont want to be without the car for a day while it is being done.

Then find out if I can go to work and back on a single charge at my normal speed or if I will have to slow down or stop at a SC on the way home. Not sure if I will make the drive on a day off or just wait until I have to work anyways.