TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The deal breaker...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tdelta1000, May 5, 2011.

1. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Question, what would be the deal breaker for you and the Model S? or what is the one thing that would make you walk away from the Model S if pricing was not an issue? It would be interesting to read your comments.

As for me... the deal breaker would be Tesla Motors dropping its center touch screen console or a drop in battery range (50 mile or greater across the already stated ranges).

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I suspect there will be a significant drop in range once the EPA gets a hold of it. But Tesla will probably stick to their number. Both numbers will be "right", it just depends if you want the number to tell you best case or worst case. :)

The DC Fast Charge port could be a deal breaker. The Model S will be my car for long trips. Many CHAdeMO/TEPCO stations are being installed this summer on the West coast (two are already in). Tesla won't say what port they will use. But I won't buy a trip car that can't use existing DC Fast chargers. I don't see how the SAE's alternative could be ready in time for the Model S anyway. I wish Tesla would just commit...

3. strider

strider Active Member

Well, my wife is going back and forth on whether she wants to drive a "car". She currently drives a biodiesel Jeep Liberty and likes the tall vantage point. So at this point we're going to wait and drive a Model S and RAV-4 EV and see which one she likes better. We may even wait for the SUV body on the Model S chassis.

So, nothing Tesla can do - just dealing w/ personal preferences.

4. William13

William13 Member

I won't buy the car if they don't make it. ;)

5. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Center touch screen console for me too (with free lifetime 3G/4G access?! :smile:). If that's either dropped entirely or isn't provided as part of the base Model S price, I'd be terribly disappointed.

Fine with the range fluctuations as I'd be using it mostly for my ~50 mile roundtrip daily commute and the occasional < 100 mile weekend expeditions.

Oh, if the betas / test drive cars don't drive and handle like say, a 5-series BMW, I cannot justify to myself paying that price despite my "green heart"! I don't want an overpriced and oversized golf cart! :eek:

6. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

If Model S doesn't support AC-3-phase with at least 32A - i will cancel my order.

7. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Same for me, without 3-phase this car would be almost useless in Europe.

8. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

I live in Norway and do not care much for 3-phase charging, 16A 230V single phase will be enough for home charging for me.
    A CHAdeMO port though is a must-have. No go without it.
    Also I do want cloth interior and a hitch, if I can get neither I might reconsider.

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

March 2014 delivery deadline. That is when the tax incentives here in Hong Kong expire (assuming they are not renewed), and price of car doubles.

10. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Maybe not a dealbreaker, but I definitely want to get those two jump seats in the back so it can seat seven. I've got 3 young kids, and with friends and such I need to have the ability to drive more than 5 people around at times.

Oh, and if they added an ICE a la Fisker or the Volt to help charge the battery :tongue:

11. howabout2

howabout2 Member

I will be very disappointed if the options and option packages are linked to the battery pack tier. Will I walk away from it? No, probably not.

But just because I don't need or want a 300-mile battery pack does not have anything to do with my desire for all of the other options.

I understand it's too early for these matters to have been decided, and therefore no one at Tesla that I've asked can answer my inquiries. But since you asked, this is definitely the thing about which I am most uncertain and worried. To me there would be no reason to limit options by battery pack tier, but this is the auto industry we're talking about. "Oh, you want the sport package? That's only available on the V8." Tesla, prove that you're above that, please.

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

If they added an ICE, that would be the deal breaker for me.

13. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

That seems unlikely. Tesla has Sig versions will come in all battery pack sizes (just later on, after the 300s), so at least for Sigs luxury options aren't tied to the battery size.

14. erichmond

erichmond Member

I was at the preview of the car in Portland. Loved the looks but I was just surprised how big, especially how wide it is. I know it's trying to "compete" with 5 series Bimmer, but it is much bigger. I hate to say it, because I've had a deposit since the first day they were accepting them, but after seeing the size of the car, I'm thinking of not getting it. Did any one else whose seen the car have this impression that it's really a large car. More like a S series Mercedes, A8, or 7 series BMW.

15. richkae

richkae VIN587

I agree. Just saw the Model S in Seattle. The size is the biggest negative. I would prefer something slightly less huge.

16. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

I checked out the S in Seattle too, looks much nicer in person than the pictures. Only deal breaker for my reservation is if I can't get it leather-free

17. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

That's my biggest concern as well. I hope to see the car in Frankfurt (IAA) in September, but when checking the specs I was like: Wow!

Driving with such a car through the old city centres would be a ..... challenge, don't even start about parking it in the tiny parking spaces we have here.

18. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Sorry if we are going OT here but, if size could be a deal-breaker, then, here's a comparison - doesn't look that much bigger than a 528i; about 3" longer and maybe, an inch or two wider while compensating for the side mirrors?!

My guess is the massive hatch makes it "look" much larger but, maybe, it's really not?!

BMW 528i

Overall Length (in) 193.1 (so, 16' 1.1")
    Overall Width (in) 73.2 (so, 6' 1.2" without side mirrors)
    Overall Height (in) 57.6
    Wheelbase (in) 116.9

Model S

Overall length 16’4" (4973 mm)
    Overall height 4’8" (1426 mm)
    Overall width with mirrors 7’2" (2189 mm)

19. Model S_HKG

Model S_HKG Member

Same with Mark!

20. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

For me it's hard to exclude price because the price is so high. In other words the price is high enough to really stretch my budget and hence I'm a lot less willing to accept compromises to what I think is a perfect car.
    Hitch option, as well as size (too big) is two big issues for me.

Cobos