Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The delivery canceled, no reschedule thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said prepayment was required for the home delivery they had scheduled for me. That is their policy.
It's not my fault they canceled home delivery and gave my car to someone else after I paid.

Honestly, if that were me, I would try to contact Elon personally about this f***-up, and if I couldn't reach him or no satisfactory remedy was offered I would sue them.
They took your money but did not only not give you the car you were entitled to get by giving them the money, they even sold it on to somebody else without your approval. I am sure that is highly legally actionable.

What a way to treat customers.
When I read stories like that I am indeed rethinking whether Tesla is the company I want to do business with in the near future!

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Just wanted to check in to say I took delivery of a P3D+ two days ago!

I got “the text,” and decided to call around the next morning after not hearing back.

By a stroke of sheer luck, I called my local DC and actually got through. They looked up my record and said “oh, it says here you’d be willing to upgrade from an AWD configuration. Is that true?” I said it was. They then listed out the available P3D inventory that had arrived on the truck the night before and let me choose. I scheduled delivery for 3 hours later.

The delivery process sucked, and the rep scratched up my center console while installing the charging ports for my phone.

But it all faded away when it came to experiencing the pure joy of this car.

It will be the most fun thing you ever own, and it’s worth every extra second of waiting. Hang in there.

Apparently the unicorn in the fleet right now appears to be Deep Blue Metalic, Dual Motor, non-performance,18" wheel cars. I have been told that there are no vehicles in my area (southeast) that match that configuration. Getting prepared to, for the 3rd time, get my delivery cancelled. Maybe by some miracle one gets delivered to Alpharetta today. Certainly not holding my breath.

My question, which has not been answered by anyone, is what happens next? Do they just keep assigning new delivery dates on the hope one shows up? Do they reserve one at the factory with my name on it and we follow it through to delivery (old method)? Everyone seems to be at a loss to answer that. I fully expect to be given another delivery date for late next week hoping one shows up in the mean time.

All this crap with the SEC can't be helping the situation either but that's for another thread.

Dan

My question, which has not been answered by anyone, is what happens next? Do they just keep assigning new delivery dates on the hope one shows up? Do they reserve one at the factory with my name on it and we follow it through to delivery (old method)? Everyone seems to be at a loss to answer that. I fully expect to be given another delivery date for late next week hoping one shows up in the mean time.

It certainly feels like they just keep throwing delivery dates on the calendar and thinking maybe THIS time a car will magically appear. It's insanity.

Reactions: neroden and cwerdna
Just wanted to check in to say I took delivery of a P3D+ two days ago!

I got “the text,” and decided to call around the next morning after not hearing back.

By a stroke of sheer luck, I called my local DC and actually got through. They looked up my record and said “oh, it says here you’d be willing to upgrade from an AWD configuration. Is that true?” I said it was. They then listed out the available P3D inventory that had arrived on the truck the night before and let me choose. I scheduled delivery for 3 hours later.

The delivery process sucked, and the rep scratched up my center console while installing the charging ports for my phone.

But it all faded away when it came to experiencing the pure joy of this car.

It will be the most fun thing you ever own, and it’s worth every extra second of waiting. Hang in there.

Congrats! What color did you get?

R: 6/11/2017
O: 6/27
Modified: 6/28
Edit Disappeared: 9/17
Delivery Scheduled: 9/18 via DSA calling and texting me
MVPA w. VIN emailed and signed on 9/19. My account never updated with the MVPA or the VIN
Completed financing with my CU: 9/21
Received check from CU based on MVPA: 9/24
Emailed DSA about missing VIN on account: 9/24 …. no response ever
Called SC to confirm: 9/25 … got no commitment other than they can't track anything
SC Called left VMS and cancelled: 9/27 saying they don't have a car for me and I Don't have a VIN
Called back SC and left VMS 9/27: wanted to see wtf was going on since I had a VIN
Called DSA 9/27: Got attitude and pretty much Go away and we'll reach out whenever we get around to it

Now sitting on 2 checks from my bank and my CU while I accrue interest. I'll need to go back and update my finance info with the CU whenever they decide to assign me a VIN
Don't even know what to call my emotions right now … somewhere between disappointed, pissed, disgusted, annoyed, frustrated ….

Certainly believe some significant compensation is owed, but I'm sure they will not offer/ honor it. I really don't think they give a crap, especially after listening to the DSA pretty much blow me off and give me a line of BS knowing full well she f'd up and didn't complete her work after assigning a VIN and MVPA.

About to throw in the towel, especially after all the SEC crap...

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Emailed that info to my ISA, who eventually told me that I could still take delivery the next day if I was willing to upgrade to 19" wheels for another $1500. I declined. Mildly regretting that decision just because the wait is excruciating, but I want all the range I can get.

Just WOW.
I would probably have responded with … "I'll take that delivery with NO CHARGE for upgraded wheels and NO CHARGE for EAP"

I am not going to be an easy customer at this point. This is serious money and a lot of work on the buyer's part

Reactions: cwerdna
No-reservation/non-owner
Cincinnati, OH
8/1 - ordered
9/6 - emailed to choose delivery date
9/7 - delivery date of 9/26 confirmed
9/11 - Tesla finance credit application submitted
9/19 - VIN appeared in my account (exactly 7 days prior to delivery appt)
9/20 - VIN removed from my account
9/24 - called main 888 number; told I was still good for delivery (didn't really believe it though)
9/25 - called local delivery center. sales person reached out to delivery person in Vegas. Told I would get a call back. 2 hours later got a call and email from Vegas delivery center that I was delayed.

No rescheduled date and radio silence since. Account page back to an Oct-Dec delivery. Annoyed, but hard to be too upset when I'm still not within my original delivery window (oct-dec) and there are still reservation holders waiting on their cars.

Did they answer you? I’m about to hit the head and it’s just been radio silence. Feels like when a girl texts you and you get too excited and text her back 3 times right away and now she thinks you’re desperate so she’s lost interest. Don’t friendzone me Tesla!
Nope - no answers since. Got a call this morning that a car may be available for tonight (not sure how true that is), but I have told them I am travelling 28-30 - can't do much about it. Hoping for next week.

I was reviewing the T&Cs on my MVPA that Tesla failed to honor.

The T&C's are written with no buyer rights called out beyond the option to arbitrate. I find that unacceptable when we're talking about a financial transaction.

Here's The verbiage calling on Cancellation and loss of payment etc.

"Cancellation; Default. We incur significant costs in managing your order, and locating and coordinating delivery logistics for your Vehicle. We may also incur significant costs for remarketing and reselling the Vehicle, including additional coordination, logistics and transport costs. If you cancel or default in
this Agreement, you will not be refunded your Order Payment as it has already been earned by us in taking and processing your order. You acknowledge that the Order Payment amount is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages that we have incurred or may incur as a result of
your breach of this Agreement, damages that are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. When you take delivery of the vehicle we will provide a credit to the final purchase price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Order Payment you paid. This Order Payment and this
Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract."

A couple thoughts...
- Tesla obviously recognizes the significant costs of a cancellation. In my case, that would be $3500 I would be out if I cancelled. This supports compensation be position for the buyer. I think you should press this point if you were cancelled.

- Sounds like my order payment is a fair and reasonable estimate of damages to the buyer when they fail to deliver.
- Those "significant costs incurred to cancel" must really be taking away from the bottom line for Q3.

- I would be very curious to find out what the arbitration process looks like.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Non-owner
7/16/2017 - Ordered
6/29/2018 - Configured
9/17/2018 - Delivery scheduled for 9/29 at Marina del Rey location
9/24/2018 - Delivery location changed to Tesla Direct home delivery
9/28/2018 @ 10:15am - VIN assigned
9/28/2018 @ 12:15pm - VIN unassigned and delivery time frame is now Sep '18 - Nov '18

Between 9/24 and now, there's been a series of communication, financing, trade-in screw-ups that is too much for me to document. I am almost at a point of cancelling my order altogether (based on all their f-ups, I'd imagine they'd refund me my $3,500), and buying a non-Tesla vehicle this weekend.

4/5/2016 - Reserved
6/28/2018 - Configured
9/6/2018 - Scheduled 9/29 delivery in Littleton
9/28/2018 @ 10:00am MT - I called Tesla and was told I had a VIN assigned two days prior
9/28/2018 @ 12:30pm MT - Delivery cancelled by my IDA via text

Never had a VIN or MVPA on the website. Delivery date is back to the generic Sept-Nov.

• Informative
Reactions: forkliter
3/31/2016 - Reserved (stood in line at Tesla in Palo Alto on day 1)
6/27/2018 - Configured
9/6/2018 - Scheduled 9/19 delivery in Pittsburgh
9/18/2018 - Tesla cancels and reschedules delivery for 9/28.
9/24/2018 (approximately) - VIN appears on website
9/28/2018 - Tesla calls 90 minutes before delivery to cancel again. The car is apparently en route but not yet on their lot, and the person at Tesla Pittsburgh that I talked to claimed that it's scheduled to arrive on Sunday night. No VIN on the site any more, which does not bode well. They suggested I wait until Monday to even try to reschedule which makes me think that something's fishy here -- if my car exists, and is on a truck that will arrive Sunday night, why not schedule now?

This is a travesty. I started this process a fairly big Tesla booster but they've burned though most of my remaining goodwill.

3/31/2016 - Reserved (stood in line at Tesla in Palo Alto on day 1)
6/27/2018 - Configured
9/6/2018 - Scheduled 9/19 delivery in Pittsburgh
9/18/2018 - Tesla cancels and reschedules delivery for 9/28.
9/24/2018 (approximately) - VIN appears on website
9/28/2018 - Tesla calls 90 minutes before delivery to cancel again. The car is apparently en route but not yet on their lot, and the person at Tesla Pittsburgh that I talked to claimed that it's scheduled to arrive on Sunday night. No VIN on the site any more, which does not bode well. They suggested I wait until Monday to even try to reschedule which makes me think that something's fishy here -- if my car exists, and is on a truck that will arrive Sunday night, why not schedule now?

This is a travesty. I started this process a fairly big Tesla booster but they've burned though most of my remaining goodwill.
Your car exists, but prob got reassigned to someone else. That's why your VIN disappeared. Now, they need to try to match your config to an unassigned VIN. I have a feeling that behind the scenes, it's just a free-for-all with the inside advisers changing up assignments to satisfy whoever's complaining the most. The same thing happened to me, but I have no energy left to even fight them on it.

I was reviewing the T&Cs on my MVPA that Tesla failed to honor.

The T&C's are written with no buyer rights called out beyond the option to arbitrate. I find that unacceptable when we're talking about a financial transaction.

Here's The verbiage calling on Cancellation and loss of payment etc.

"Cancellation; Default. We incur significant costs in managing your order, and locating and coordinating delivery logistics for your Vehicle. We may also incur significant costs for remarketing and reselling the Vehicle, including additional coordination, logistics and transport costs. If you cancel or default in
this Agreement, you will not be refunded your Order Payment as it has already been earned by us in taking and processing your order. You acknowledge that the Order Payment amount is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages that we have incurred or may incur as a result of
your breach of this Agreement, damages that are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. When you take delivery of the vehicle we will provide a credit to the final purchase price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Order Payment you paid. This Order Payment and this
Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract."

A couple thoughts...
- Tesla obviously recognizes the significant costs of a cancellation. In my case, that would be $3500 I would be out if I cancelled. This supports compensation be position for the buyer. I think you should press this point if you were cancelled.

- Sounds like my order payment is a fair and reasonable estimate of damages to the buyer when they fail to deliver.
- Those "significant costs incurred to cancel" must really be taking away from the bottom line for Q3.

- I would be very curious to find out what the arbitration process looks like.

Let's see what Attorney Generals in different states have to say when the dust settles. Tesla isn't exactly a "friendly" in the dealership world and I'm sure many are looking to validate that they have no business transacting cars in this way. The big one is taking the full balance and failing to deliver in a "reasonable time", whatever that is.

Let's see what Attorney Generals in different states have to say when the dust settles. Tesla isn't exactly a "friendly" in the dealership world and I'm sure many are looking to validate that they have no business transacting cars in this way. The big one is taking the full balance and failing to deliver in a "reasonable time", whatever that is.

For sure … many people paid in advance and I still have the request to pay my balance through the website. I knew I was never going to do that based on so many other stories.