Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Delivery Saga... Anyone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I taking crazy pills or is this just the new norm for Tesla? Like I ordered a M3 in May. Did all the paperwork and made the down payment in August. But I still don't have the car! Targeted delivery date was the last week of August, then the First week of September and then it was supposed to be today, but late last night, they just unilaterally changed it to tomorrow.

Then today, after me having to call them. The Tesla rep tried to pawn off a different car, in a different color, to me because MY car is somewhere in South Carolina. Now it will be at least "a day or two" until it arrives (I honestly don't know how a thing made in Northern Cali being shipped to DC ends up in SC. Like we've had direct trains from SF to DC for 150 years).

So I have a work trip starting at the end of this week into next week and then I'm going to a wedding out of town straight from my work trip. So I'm gone 9/23-10/6. When I informed the Tesla rep of this, he no BS said that "was too late" and they would have to cancel the order if I couldn't pick it up this week.

I have spent more on Teslas over the past few year than most spend on a house. Like it's my one nice thing I have. This is no way to treat ANY customer, let alone a 6 figure multi-purchase customer.

So if the car isn't here by the time I leave for my trip, I guess I'm switching back ICE and Audi. Just can't see forking over another $60k to Tesla at this point. Is there any recourse? There doesn't seem to be a manager or boss to talk to...

I guess the "cancel your order" threat was to force me to move my work trip and/or miss one of my best friend's wedding? Those things aren't happening. They have 72 hours to get the car here. Then I guess it's one less Q3 delivery... not that they care that they are about to loose a die hard multi-vehicle customer...

Tesla's haphazard customer service experiences and QA was charming and cool like 5 years ago when they were sticking it to the "man". Now it's just annoying that they can't figure out how to ship something from SF to DC in the promised timeframe. Based on just a quick google, I'm not only loyal Tesla customer that has been disenfranchised in the last year.

Fingers crossed that it gets here before I leave, I would really miss not having to go to the gas station...

Last edited:
My car was supposed to arrive at the delivery center yesterday, but as of this morning it's still sitting in Alabama. Seems like the end of the quarter scramble is very much upon us.

That may have been an acceptable excuse back when the MS and/or MX were new. But not now. Tesla needs to put on its big boy pants and build cars/create processes that allow them to reliably deliver their product on time and in full working order. It's not acceptable that a large portion of their cars are either late or are unfit for delivery.

I'm convinced that Tesla needs a competitor. This is what happens when one company has a monopoly.

Yeah, I feel your pain. I ordered my car on August 11th and I still don’t have a VIN. I’ve received two texts this entire time and it has stated the obvious that the car is this many weeks away. I’ve had to continually call to see what is going on and they keep giving me the same hoopla that “waiting is the hardest part.” There have been people who’ve ordered their cars in September and are taking delivery. We constantly get thrown back of the line because we live in CA. I’ll tell future potential buyers to be aware because they are a hit or miss in terms of communication and you’ll probably have to wait all the way at the end of the quarter to get your car(At best). If I knew from the get-go it was this bad, I would’ve taken my business elsewhere. No matter how great your product is, treating your customers like this is unacceptable.

Yeah, I feel your pain. I ordered my car on August 11th and I still don’t have a VIN. I’ve received two texts this entire time and it has stated the obvious that the car is this many weeks away. I’ve had to continually call to see what is going on and they keep giving me the same hoopla that “waiting is the hardest part.” There have been people who’ve ordered their cars in September and are taking delivery. We constantly get thrown back of the line because we live in CA. I’ll tell future potential buyers to be aware because they are a hit or miss in terms of communication and you’ll probably have to wait all the way at the end of the quarter to get your car(At best). If I knew from the get-go it was this bad, I would’ve taken my business elsewhere. No matter how great your product is, treating your customers like this is unacceptable.

Yep. It's stories like this that prevent people from even considering a Tesla. Like people already think electric cars are bad because they've only had gas cars their whole life and it seems weird. So when I'm trying to convince my friends (who have the money to afford a Tesla) that they should get one, experiences like this make it hard to recommend for anyone but tech people who are really into it. Like at first it was the tech and the glitches and the software problems that prevented "regular" people from seeing Tesla favorably, now it's just the lousy customer experience.

It's not much better on the east coast. Yes, I'm waiting less than many others so I'm not complaining, but this feels like they start sourcing rubber and aluminum when you place your order... No one responds to email, calls not returned... and phantom inventory. Almost sounds like a scam except I'm only out $100.

Unfortunately Tesla has not changed their business practices at all in the past 2 years. This was exactly how I was treated 2 years ago. You'd think they'd invest more in this front but I guess not.

The real story is that their demand has only grown and their production rates haven't been able to match.

It's not much better on the east coast. Yes, I'm waiting less than many others so I'm not complaining, but this feels like they start sourcing rubber and aluminum when you place your order... No one responds to email, calls not returned... and phantom inventory. Almost sounds like a scam except I'm only out $100.

Which SC? The SA I dealt with at Tyco Road in Vienna nearly always returned emails the same day.

Sounds like there was a mistake somewhere if you ordered in May and have not received your vehicle yet. Also what do you mean you made a down-payment? The only thing I have paid so far is the $100 and I will be paying for the car in cash when I pick it up.

Did you order your car online or at a Tesla car center? It seems like those who order online get the short-end of the stick.

Did you order your car online or at a Tesla car center? It seems like those who order online get the short-end of the stick.

Based on what? There is literally 0 difference between placing your order online or at a SC.
The SC even encourages people to order to do it at home because you'd just be using the same website.

Sounds like there was a mistake somewhere if you ordered in May and have not received your vehicle yet. Also what do you mean you made a down-payment? The only thing I have paid so far is the $100 and I will be paying for the car in cash when I pick it up.

The car was ordered on 5/2 via a local Tesla rep, with a delivery expectation of mid August. I knew others had problems so I did it way out. At the beginning of august I did the DL and paperwork for a business lease (tax purposes). In mid-august I got the two weeks notice. I was then able to make the lease down payment via the website. They scheduled a date for the first week of sept. On the date it was to be delivered, I was told it wouldn't be ready until the following week.

Up to this point, I hadn't received the "your tesla is on its way" text. I received that on Sept 9th. I called and the service rep changed the delivery date to today. Then late last night I got a text informing that the car needed to be cleaned, so the date and time (not of my choosing, like I don't have business to run and kids in virtual school) was changed to tomorrow. I emailed and then eventually called today to find out what was going on. I was informed that it was "somewhere in the south" and that "it was unlikely to be here until the end of the week." I then informed them of my travel plans from 9/22 - 10/6 and was told that "Oct 6th was too late" and they would have to "cancel the order." This is when I got a whole sales pitch on a different car in a different color. I informed them that I was unwilling to pay $50k+ for a car I didn't order.

Just now, they "got in touch" with the delivery truck driver. They are currently in SC and the car would be at the delivery center late tomorrow. As of now, my delivery date is 9/23 @ 4pm. I now leave for my trip on 9/24 to accommodate their inability to ship something from SF to DC in a competent manner. If they can't get it to me by noon on 9/24, I'm going to cancel the order and lease a new Audi or buy a used MS/MX.

Based on what? There is literally 0 difference between placing your order online or at a SC.
The SC even encourages people to order to do it at home because you'd just be using the same website.

I went for a test drive and placed the order at home. The order was automatically matched to the same guy who handled the test drive. Maybe those who don't even do that get assigned to a generic SA that never logs in...??

Just now, they "got in touch" with the delivery truck driver. They are currently in SC and the car would be at the delivery center late tomorrow. As of now, my delivery date is 9/23 @ 4pm. I now eave for my trip on 9/24 to accommodate their inability to ship something from SF to DC in a competent manner. If they can't get it to me by noon on 9/24, I'm going to cancel the order and lease a new Audi or buy a used MS/MX.

I'm not defending tesla at all, but I don't believe any car manufacturer builds as many cars to order as tesla does. if demand ever dies down and they actually have inventory at the showrooms, I think this will be far less of an issue. I've said this before, but: I think tesla could totally provide more visibility, they are a tech / software company after all... but I think they like to juggle production / units around in teh background to optimize numbers and they don't want the customer to see that.

Good on you for taking your business elsewhere, I'm concerned enough about fit and finish issues / service issues that I'd love to do the same. But unfortunately for me, Tesla offers exactly what I want and no other car comes close. I'm sort of envious of people who can just "buy an audi" because I have zero interest in any car but a Tesla.

I hear that buying used through Tesla can be even worse.. it may not take longer than ordering new but the level of incompetence / vacuum of information seems like it would be even more aggravating given the car *already exists somewhere*. Not sure how you completely botch marking up a used car and getting it to a customer who will pay for it but it appears that's how Tesla does it.

I'm not defending tesla at all, but I don't believe any car manufacturer builds as many cars to order as tesla does. if demand ever dies down and they actually have inventory at the showrooms, I think this will be far less of an issue. I've said this before, but: I think tesla could totally provide more visibility, they are a tech / software company after all... but I think they like to juggle production / units around in teh background to optimize numbers and they don't want the customer to see that.

Good on you for taking your business elsewhere, I'm concerned enough about fit and finish issues / service issues that I'd love to do the same. But unfortunately for me, Tesla offers exactly what I want and no other car comes close. I'm sort of envious of people who can just "buy an audi" because I have zero interest in any car but a Tesla.

I hear that buying used through Tesla can be even worse.. it may not take longer than ordering new but the level of incompetence / vacuum of information seems like it would be even more aggravating given the car *already exists somewhere*. Not sure how you completely botch marking up a used car and getting it to a customer who will pay for it but it appears that's how Tesla does it.

Yep. The problem is now Tesla has effectively become a monopoly. They are essentially the only show in town right now. I personally love my other Tesla. Just can't keep sending them such large quantities of money. Ideally a German made car with a Tesla-like drivetrain would be for me. The fit, finish and overall quality of Tesla is isn't even on par with a cheaper Lexus or a cheaper Infinity. Hopefully one of the existing car companies or new electric car company will come in a provide some much needed competition in the electric car sector.

Did you not ever drive any other car but a Tesla? I had a thread where I asked if potential buyers shopped around. For me, the Alfa TI was neck and neck with the Model 3 but I was concerned about about a complete revamp of the design on the Alfa in the near future. I also had my eye on a 340i but I have become disenchanted by what BMW has become over the last few years. But I like those manufactures give you option where Tesla has a take it or move up model.

I want SirusXM but can’t have it without having an X or S. I wanted premium sound but I have to buy a LR. I am willing to pay for these options but Tesla tries to strong arm you into purchasing a higher model. With BMW, I can tell them exactly what I want and they’ll find it for me.

I also hear that the Model 3P seats are basically the same the Sr+. I can’t imagine a BMW M3 having the same seats as a 320i. Tesla is great at what they do, I just wish they gave their potential buyers more options.

Did you not ever drive any other car but a Tesla? I had a thread where I asked if potential buyers shopped around. For me, the Alfa TI was neck and neck with the Model 3 but I was concerned about about a complete revamp of the design on the Alfa in the near future. I also had my eye on a 340i but I have become disenchanted by what BMW has become over the last few years. But I like those manufactures give you option where Tesla has a take it or move up model.

I have driven other electric cars, that's it. I don't need another car, I wouldn't be spending any money at all if it wasn't a Tesla.

I have a gas car, I have driven gas cars all my life, and I am fully done with it. No way am I spending money on another overly complex gasoline car. Its EV or I keep driving what I have. Besides EV, there are a number of other things that only the 3/Y offer that I want. Also no other car I have driven matches the "rubber band" driving experience of full regen + hold mode. IMO Tesla has totally, absolutely nailed the driving experience for the future. The old way, with zero regen and using brakes? bleh. I'm over it.

Of course every consumer values different things. that's why, like I said, I'm kind of envious of people who can actually pass up a Tesla. I don't like being trapped in a brand either. but Tesla is the only game in town for me for the foreseeable future..

Reactions: pjensen
I have driven other electric cars, that's it. I don't need another car, I wouldn't be spending any money at all if it wasn't a Tesla.

I have a gas car, I have driven gas cars all my life, and I am fully done with it. No way am I spending money on another overly complex gasoline car. Its EV or I keep driving what I have. Besides EV, there are a number of other things that only the 3/Y offer that I want. Also no other car I have driven matches the "rubber band" driving experience of full regen + hold mode. IMO Tesla has totally, absolutely nailed the driving experience for the future. The old way, with zero regen and using brakes? bleh. I'm over it.

Of course every consumer values different things. that's why, like I said, I'm kind of envious of people who can actually pass up a Tesla. I don't like being trapped in a brand either. but Tesla is the only game in town for me for the foreseeable future..

Yeah. I'll be VERY bitter for a VERY long time if Tesla cancels my order because I went to a wedding. I agree that driving literally anything else is slow, dull and lowtech compared to a Tesla. I just don't want to reinforce this garbage attitude they have towards their customers.

Also haven't tested drove anything new since I got my first Tesla. So if Tesla can't figure out a way to get me a functional car (with 4 months of lead time), I'll check out some other brands before I commit to getting a used MS/MX (purchased from a person or organization that is NOT directly from Tesla).

Reactions: ftmaybe