Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The DFW area seems to be having a gas frenzy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(So tell me again how the electric grid will fail when everybody plugs in their EVs).
Yes, that's a pretty silly excuse on the part of EV naysayers! The utility companies across the southern states (CA to FL) seem to, for the most part, not have trouble with most of their ratepayers simultaneously running power-hungry air conditioners. Where this is a problem, they can institute "demand response" programs and/or charge demand fees for particularly high power draws.

And if worse comes to worst, as others have pointed out, you can generate your own electricity at home, but you can't produce your own gasoline. I think the Powerwall (and similar products) will end up being very popular among those who value having some personal independence.

That said, we still have to rely on one another during trying times - I don't know where we'd be without the hard work of the well-trained firefighters (including some of our neighbors and friends) who regularly defend Western communities like ours from wildfire threats.

Live in Austin. 4 stations nearby. 2 are out, 1 has a super long line, 1 has a moderate line.

I saw one car filling up multiple gas cans.

I believe the immediate problem mostly caused by the human brain.

I did bump my overnight charge limit from 70% -> 80%, just in case :)
Here is the problem:

zwXl16M.jpg&hash=aa34b94863a8de05f1ce647cad7f9aed

zNWrssI.jpg&hash=eec1ee250893783b640ee6aba4559823

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
It's all a bit ridiculous. There's a gas shortage because Facebook and local news is saying there's a gas shortage, thus panic ensues, especially with a long weekend coming up. I was in a QT this morning (getting air, since the service center totally screwed that up - another story) and three people came in wanting to buy gas cans. I mean, c'mon, at best this 'shortage' will last a few days.

Anybody remember this from Sneakers. I think it applies perfectly. FF to 1:10

It's all a bit ridiculous. There's a gas shortage because Facebook and local news is saying there's a gas shortage, thus panic ensues, especially with a long weekend coming up. I was in a QT this morning (getting air, since the service center totally screwed that up - another story) and three people came in wanting to buy gas cans. I mean, c'mon, at best this 'shortage' will last a few days.

Exactly. If everyone had just gone about their business like normal it would have been fine.

The line for gas at the Costco in Frisco yesterday stretched onto the exit ramp of the tollway. It was insane.

I'm impressed at how well the supercharger network in SE Texas appears to have weathered Harvey. And it did well in Sandy, too. The chargers themselves seem quite resilient. Also, since they're such high power feeds, they rarely seem to lose power, and would be the first power restored in the area if they did. That is to say, at least in theory, if they're out, so is everyone else ;)

Gas stations are not only very sensitive to fuel supply disruptions during disasters (and being clogged by panick buyers**), but most aren't equipped with battery backups / emergency generators, and go down when the power does. And unlike a supercharger, they're a pretty typical commercial feed, so they're not necessarily going to get power restored as quickly.

** A city of "panick chargers" overwhelmingly just means them adjusting their charge level to 100% at home ;) Not particularly problematic given the proportionally low power levels consumed by home chargers. And how most people charge daily, so it wouldn't even be that much charge being added vs. normal.

Last edited:
Also, if Tesla ever mounts a battery-buffered supercharger (say, V3 ;) ) to a truck (say, Semi ;) ) in order to provide better roadside service (aka, it could fully fill several cars or top off a couple dozen), think of how quickly they could replace a damaged / destroyed supercharger site. Staff electrician team hops onboard, truck drives to the supercharger site, parks, the team wires the feed from the damaged supercharger to the one aboard the truck, and you're golden - temporary supercharger ready to use. When the damaged hardware has been replaced, the connection is swapped back from the truck to the new permanent hardware, and the truck drives off and goes back into roadside service use.

You'd have to work into the siting contract for the supercharger permission to temporarily park a truck near the supercharger in the event that it's damaged / destroyed, and obviously the utility provider would have to be involved in the process. But overall it seems a really quick, straightforward way to deal with any issues.