Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The double-edged sword of the end-of-quarter production push.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many reservation holders in Northern California, as Q3 drew to a close in September I received a text stating that my expected mid-November X 100D would instead be available in 3 days (Sept 30, last day of the quarter). I was not prepared at the time, but quickly got a loan application in (1 hour approval at a great rate) and confirmed pickup. I was pretty stoked :)

This was to be my second Tesla, after a 2015 S 75D I purchased as a low-mileage (40!) inventory model that fall (what a great deal at the time). I sold it a little over a year later due to a move and and have missed it ever since.

Come delivery day for the X, my expectations were tempered. I knew it would be a madhouse in Fremont, and I was unsurprised when my 7pm delivery appointment changed to 9, and then again to 11after we arrived. We just rolled with it and went for dinner until they texted us close to midnight.

When the car and paperwork were finally ready, I did a walk-around as best I could in the dark, was happy with what I could see of my Multicoat-Red-on-White Model X, signed and drove off, back to SF on deserted highways. The ride was magnificent. I parked it in our underground parking, and since I am recovering from a recent shoulder surgery I didnt drive it again for the next week. I did notice a scratch on one of the seats, and a rattle in one of the sun visors, so I made an appt. to have those addressed.

I plan to keep this car a long time, so I made an appointment to have the front end wrapped (I hate rock chips) and took it in about a week after delivery, and this was the first time I had a really good look at the exterior in sunlight, going over it with the representative from the service company before they took it in to begin work. We... found a few issues:

- raised specks of dirt / dust & fish-eyes in the paint (lots and lots of them, more than I expected despite my realistic end-of-quarter expectations, and more than they’ve ever seen in a Tesla coming in for work)
- deep scratches in a couple of hard to spot places, some sloppily touched-up with touch-up paint, some not
- chips in the paint along the edge of several panels
- several glaring panel alignment issues around the hood & fenders
- missing clear-coat around the edges of the side mirrors
- a really visible 6-inch-long run in paint along the side of the rear hatch — this is the one that finally led the shop owner to say “Take this back and get Tesla to fix it.”

I’m going to take it in for correction, and I’m sure it’s eventually going to end up fine. Thankfully, the car is mechanically wonderful as far as I can tell so far. Still need to get in some more driving to really check it out but I remain super stoked overall.

This is an area that Tesla needs to work on, though. I expected the people doing body & paint work in Fremont to show a little more pride in their work, even under the incredible time constraints I know they’re working in. This was a little over the top.

Each piece of tape is either a speck of embedded dirt / fish-eye in the paint, scratch, chip, run, or a misaligned panel. The hood looks like it has the measles.

F3DA57C0-663C-4F4F-BA72-38FE913EDC60.jpeg 43E3CC35-40FD-41E6-9A27-BCD9445E1E0C.jpeg 9ECA8EB3-8DE2-4918-92C9-37C0381034A8.jpeg 31C9207F-F6F4-473F-B2FD-36BAA2210807.jpeg E3B1EA8F-99ED-459F-AE24-6F584B3D2D85.jpeg D02D6824-A4C4-4CE4-B353-E11030209324.jpeg 16E8529E-8EA7-4363-9C04-4383293D5300.jpeg D568A435-33AD-4CEC-900D-BF161B18968D.jpeg D6EF2C3C-8A88-48ED-8EF0-42B61CA856C6.jpeg C50D15BF-0AF8-42F9-8044-4BD37FCD7489.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
oh gosh :eek: i'm so sorry to see this. thank you for the very detailed photos. i hope you have had a chance to send them to your delivery person and other tesla personnel.

i really don't know what's worse - the imperfections themselves or the touch ups to try to fix and/or hide them. they are equally bad. and considering this car was built in fremont and picked up there, those scratches are unacceptable as the car has never had to be transported on a truck, so it should not be that difficult to keep it in pristine condition.

the panel alignments are also quite bad. i have been reading a lot of these Q3 delivery stories and wondering how the fit and finish hasn't gotten better and more "automated" over time so that the variance in the alignment is limited, but apparently not. you just don't know what you are going to get; just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best.

i'm sorry and hope it all gets worked out soon.

This is truly unbelievable and maddening. Right from Fremont factory??? Wow. This is why I decided to buy inventory, so I could actually SEE the car or at least pictures before I pay for it. Good luck, hope you get quick resolution.

I dropped it off today for service. Paint shop is backed up for a month, which I’d rather not wait for (I’ll pay the wrap shop to fix anything remaining after this visit before wrapping, since they’re also a full body shop) — instead I took a couple years of free maintenance and they’ll do a wet sand & polish, which should improve most of the paint issues, and do some panel alignment where it was out of spec.

They’re also replacing some rattling sun visors. Model S as a loaner — no complaints.

Still can’t wait for a road trip :)

Reactions: hiroshiy
Update: long story short, this new X will be entirely repainted by a local Tesla-approved paint & body shop. Turned out most of the issues were in the base coat, and since they’re all over the car there’s nothing else that can be done.

I’m not sure how I feel about body shop paint vs factory... it’ll be getting a lot of attention from a very highly-regarded shop, but I worry about paint durability. It’ll also have to cure awhile before it can be wrapped.

It’ll probably be December before they can get the parts in and get it scheduled. In the meantime: road trips!