Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Doubters Just Don’t Get It

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reminded of this afresh driving up the Eastern Sierra yesterday to Mammoth.

Swallowed all of our stuff, including golf clubs and skis quite nicely (albeit not as effortlessly as an S). Accommodated a full-size carry-on in the frunk.

Fast and flawless. Autopilot perfect. Averaged 280 kWh/mi ... at 74 mph ... while climbing 7000 vertical feet.

Minimal charging stop required. $6.50.

Used 356 range miles to cover 300. Adjusted for elevation gain, that’s about 290.

Amazing flying-path nav animation. Great sound system.

Ran into S100D owners from Florida doing a joyous lap of the country. Charging = non-issue.

What’s not to like? Why would we ever go back to ICE?

The whole thing reminds me of the switch from film to digital. Seemed to take forever to gather steam. For years, most people remained convinced that film photo quality was vastly better ... despite stunning evidence to the contrary. “But where do you get your prints?” = “But where do you charge?” And, then, seemingly all at once, the tipping point ... and the game was over.

The ICE dealers (such as the clueless MB folks discussed in the Model S forum) have lost, but they just don’t know it yet. Perhaps, they’ll be the last to know.

In the meantime, off to Yosemite!

Attachments

• BC448F44-3522-4B1D-ACBA-8EEF42311AE6.jpeg
    BC448F44-3522-4B1D-ACBA-8EEF42311AE6.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 8B0ED0A0-C389-4D0E-A13F-66C87E193D6C.jpeg
    8B0ED0A0-C389-4D0E-A13F-66C87E193D6C.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 103
  • EBAFA3EA-7A87-429D-937C-15BE7062DAEF.jpeg
    EBAFA3EA-7A87-429D-937C-15BE7062DAEF.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 107
The whole thing reminds me of the switch from film to digital. Seemed to take forever to gather steam. For years, most people remained convinced that film photo quality was vastly better ... despite stunning evidence to the contrary. “But where do you get your prints?” = “But where do you charge?” And, then, seemingly all at once, the tipping point ... and the game was over.

And when we first got our digital camera, we still printed our pictures out so it was a hybrid so to speak. Now, we are fully digital with no prints (and fully electric with our cars)

Why do you feel the need to say things like that?
Why do people on this forum feel the need to say that people who e.g. may not want to spend $50,000 on a car, make frequent long-range trips, or don't have a place to charge at home "just don't get it" or are "clueless"? It's great to enjoy our EVs, but nobody should have any illusions that they can fully replace traditional cars for everyone at this point.

Seriously, you're completely right that EVs can work very well in many situations, but it would be dishonest to claim that there aren't drawbacks.
As opposed to ICE vehicles, that are perfect ?
Presumably that is not your argument, so you are saying that sometimes ICE are superior. I can think of corner cases, e.g. a place without electricity .. like the dark side of the moon.

there was a time where digital cameras had horrible resolution and didn't have enough memory for more than 20 or so shots. That's not the point. There's a clear evolution of technology underway. Finally.
What?? Now you mention this. I forget to look at the KODK shares in my portfolio for 5 years, and this happened!!!

Attachments

• kodk.png
    kodk.png
    336.5 KB · Views: 76
Why do people on this forum feel the need to say that people who e.g. may not want to spend $50,000 on a car, make frequent long-range trips, or don't have a place to charge at home "just don't get it" or are "clueless"? It's great to enjoy our EVs, but nobody should have any illusions that they can fully replace traditional cars for everyone at this point.

They don’t.

What most people are saying is that electric cars are the future, and that the technology is viable for some people today.

I’ve never spent more that 20k on a new car. Somehow, I doubt you are “concerned” in the least about people like me.

Averaged 280 kWh/mi ... at 74 mph ... while climbing 7000 vertical feet.
Minimal charging stop required. $6.50.
Used 356 range miles to cover 300. Adjusted for elevation gain, that’s about 290.
Awesome post, thanks !

Your data prompted me to try and calculate battery capacity using the car's wh/mile. I am interested because the recent hypermiler event found a discrepancy between official and calculated battery size and I'm wondering where the error is. (The most likely is the Wh/mile, but that is just a guess for now.)

So ...
$6.5 at $0.26/kWh = 25 kWh. Do I correct for charging losses here ?
EPA reported 100% battery capacity: 78 kWh (and change)
Presuming you started at 100% SoC (true ?), total kWh In = 78+25 = 103 kWh or 100.5 if charging losses

300 miles at 0.28 kwh/mile = 84 kWh
Did you have rated miles remaining ?
I can complete the calc when that is known

Thanks