Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The dreaded 12v battery needs service message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 year old X, 40k miles.

I had annual service a few weeks ago and asked team to check (all was “good”).

But now, it's shot just when I needed to take a trip.

Message to X community....change your 12v battery no more than 2 years out.

Btw: getting hot here in Naples and I’ve run the HVAC on during some inside errands. I wonder if that impacts the 12v vs main battery? Anyone know?

Last edited:
2 years 40k isn’t a long time at all and even a crappy battery should be able to provide more life than that.

I’ve had batteries last for more than twice if that, can or has the SC not tested for a defect in battery?

Out of interest what make/model battery do Tesla use?

Good timing.

I had annual service last month and specifically asked about battery and they said all was good and should last for a few more years :).

I should have just told them to replace.

Btw: tesla Florida service must be overloaded. I called roadside service this morning and a ticket was created requiring a call back to schedule service. When no one called, I pinged again and agent told me that their Sop is now 24-48 hour call backs. Plus mobile service is only available mid next week.

FWIW: that’s awful.

Btw2: tesla mobile service is setup in a way that one person handles a territory and other employees cannot see/have access to that database to setup an appointment. Thus, if your advisor is MIA (which mine apparently is today) there is NO ONE who can help.

I can’t see why it’s setup that way unless they want to keep national service availability a secret....

Last edited:
2 years 40k isn’t a long time at all and even a crappy battery should be able to provide more life than that.

I’ve had batteries last for more than twice if that, can or has the SC not tested for a defect in battery?

Out of interest what make/model battery do Tesla use?

Excerpted from TeslaTap's excellent Tesla info site:

Undocumented | TeslaTap
  • 12 V, 33 Ah sealed absorbed glass mat deep cycle lead-acid. It is used for most everything other than propulsion and HVAC. One vendor Tesla uses is C&D Technologies DCS-33IT battery prior to the refresh in RWD models. The refresh S uses a C&D Technologies DCS-33UNCR. The 12v battery condition is monitored with a Hella Intelligent Battery Sensor.
Comparison to batteries used in ICE vehicle applications is pretty useless, since the use profile is completely different. Pretty sure it's scheduled to be replaced in the 2-year annual service and the monitoring system usually provides reasonable pre-notification of a failure. There are, of course, exceptions...

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Excerpted from TeslaTap's excellent Tesla info site:

Undocumented | TeslaTap
  • 12 V, 33 Ah sealed absorbed glass mat deep cycle lead-acid. It is used for most everything other than propulsion and HVAC. One vendor Tesla uses is C&D Technologies DCS-33IT battery prior to the refresh in RWD models. The refresh S uses a C&D Technologies DCS-33UNCR. The 12v battery condition is monitored with a Hella Intelligent Battery Sensor.
Comparison to batteries used in ICE vehicle applications is pretty useless, since the use profile is completely different. Pretty sure it's scheduled to be replaced in the 2-year annual service and the monitoring system usually provides reasonable pre-notification of a failure. There are, of course, exceptions...

Good info, thanks.

Just completed my second annual maintenance last month and it wasn’t replaced.

My new Model X got the replace 12v message during my first week of ownership. Message is still on until next Thursday as my local Service Centers are out of stock. These cars seem to eat 12v batteries. My last car, a Model S had 7 or 8 during the years I owned it. The last one was in March just before I sold it, and before that it was replaced in December of 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
Just had the same message a couple weeks ago. Tesla told me the car warns you of the fault about three weeks in advance.
Mobile service came out and replaced it. They have to take most of the Frunk apart to do this btw. The battery is tiny compared to an ICE.
28K miles and close to 2 years old.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
I know I am the exception and not the rule, but be thankful when that Notice comes on. Mine just died without any notice (I did see some strange behavior from the screen - button not working sometimes, etc) and it had to be towed, etc.

I know it's a pain, but much better than my alternative. Cheers!