Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The dreaded 12v battery needs service message

X Fan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2015
Naples, FL & Cary, NC
2 year old X, 40k miles.

I had annual service a few weeks ago and asked team to check (all was “good”).

But now, it's shot just when I needed to take a trip.

Message to X community....change your 12v battery no more than 2 years out.

Btw: getting hot here in Naples and I’ve run the HVAC on during some inside errands. I wonder if that impacts the 12v vs main battery? Anyone know?

Last edited:

Fellsteruk

Feb 24, 2018
North West, UK
2 years 40k isn’t a long time at all and even a crappy battery should be able to provide more life than that.

I’ve had batteries last for more than twice if that, can or has the SC not tested for a defect in battery?

Out of interest what make/model battery do Tesla use?

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I had mine occur a few weeks ago within a week following the annual service. Mobile service took care of it (while they were serving my 3).

X Fan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2015
Naples, FL & Cary, NC
Good timing.

I had annual service last month and specifically asked about battery and they said all was good and should last for a few more years :).

I should have just told them to replace.

Btw: tesla Florida service must be overloaded. I called roadside service this morning and a ticket was created requiring a call back to schedule service. When no one called, I pinged again and agent told me that their Sop is now 24-48 hour call backs. Plus mobile service is only available mid next week.

FWIW: that’s awful.

Btw2: tesla mobile service is setup in a way that one person handles a territory and other employees cannot see/have access to that database to setup an appointment. Thus, if your advisor is MIA (which mine apparently is today) there is NO ONE who can help.

I can’t see why it’s setup that way unless they want to keep national service availability a secret....

Last edited:

mathwhiz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2014
Orange County California
2 years 40k isn’t a long time at all and even a crappy battery should be able to provide more life than that.

I’ve had batteries last for more than twice if that, can or has the SC not tested for a defect in battery?

Out of interest what make/model battery do Tesla use?

Excerpted from TeslaTap's excellent Tesla info site:

Undocumented | TeslaTap
  • 12 V, 33 Ah sealed absorbed glass mat deep cycle lead-acid. It is used for most everything other than propulsion and HVAC. One vendor Tesla uses is C&D Technologies DCS-33IT battery prior to the refresh in RWD models. The refresh S uses a C&D Technologies DCS-33UNCR. The 12v battery condition is monitored with a Hella Intelligent Battery Sensor.
Comparison to batteries used in ICE vehicle applications is pretty useless, since the use profile is completely different. Pretty sure it's scheduled to be replaced in the 2-year annual service and the monitoring system usually provides reasonable pre-notification of a failure. There are, of course, exceptions...

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

X Fan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2015
Naples, FL & Cary, NC
Excerpted from TeslaTap's excellent Tesla info site:

Undocumented | TeslaTap
  • 12 V, 33 Ah sealed absorbed glass mat deep cycle lead-acid. It is used for most everything other than propulsion and HVAC. One vendor Tesla uses is C&D Technologies DCS-33IT battery prior to the refresh in RWD models. The refresh S uses a C&D Technologies DCS-33UNCR. The 12v battery condition is monitored with a Hella Intelligent Battery Sensor.
Comparison to batteries used in ICE vehicle applications is pretty useless, since the use profile is completely different. Pretty sure it's scheduled to be replaced in the 2-year annual service and the monitoring system usually provides reasonable pre-notification of a failure. There are, of course, exceptions...

Good info, thanks.

Just completed my second annual maintenance last month and it wasn’t replaced.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
My new Model X got the replace 12v message during my first week of ownership. Message is still on until next Thursday as my local Service Centers are out of stock. These cars seem to eat 12v batteries. My last car, a Model S had 7 or 8 during the years I owned it. The last one was in March just before I sold it, and before that it was replaced in December of 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan

gjunky

Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs
Mar 26, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Just had the same message a couple weeks ago. Tesla told me the car warns you of the fault about three weeks in advance.
Mobile service came out and replaced it. They have to take most of the Frunk apart to do this btw. The battery is tiny compared to an ICE.
28K miles and close to 2 years old.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan

SueLB

May 10, 2016
Long Beach, California
Got 12v message on Model X at 2.5 years 32,000 miles. Didn't have in stock ordering and will install with mobile out of Torrance Ca Service Office. Be sure to ask if part is in stock as Telsa Service will schedule without verifying that part is in stock.

nctalkinghead

Dec 25, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Had mine replaced in September 2018 on a May 2016 build 90D. Message was up for 14 days before Mobile Service replaced it. Fun to watch the frunk being disassembled and put back together with no parts left over :)

ToddS

Jan 13, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I know I am the exception and not the rule, but be thankful when that Notice comes on. Mine just died without any notice (I did see some strange behavior from the screen - button not working sometimes, etc) and it had to be towed, etc.

I know it's a pain, but much better than my alternative. Cheers!

SMSMD

Dec 2, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I had requested for battery replacement at 60,000km service as I was embarking on a 10,000km family trip and did not want to be stranded. The Service center checked logs and said does not need to be replaced. Will request again at 80,000km which is due soon.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC