Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The dream comes crashing down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck! I would hope for the car to be totaled because if not, your resale value is going to be hurting. But I can understand not wanting to put a downpayment on another Tesla again. Let's hope it's not totaled and you keep the car for a long long time.

I'd like to see the naysayers follow the 2 second rule on my freeways--they would actually make it more dangerous for everyone involved. My fellow drivers become infuriated when the car ahead of them leaves a huge gap that allows car after car to cut in front of that driver. Once angry, they either tailgate or attempt to pass on the right and cut off the "offending" driver. Unfortunately we are forced to integrate with the "herd" and it makes sense either to drive in harmony with the rest, or pull over to the slowest lane when you don't feel comfortable. A driver who is out of sync with the majority puts all at risk, even when the herd is pushing the limits a bit.

It sounds like this was just a very unfortunate situation that would trap most drivers--we just don't drive around with the expectation that the car ahead of us will suddenly screech to a halt when the road ahead is clear. In heavy traffic with limited visibility ahead, most of us automatically increase the distance between cars because we know that stop-and-go conditions can erupt at any instant.

OP--Always sorry to hear about any Tesla that is damaged since they are expensive to repair. Hope your car is like new in short order, and glad to hear that you are OK.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the naysayers follow the 2 second rule on my freeways--they would actually make it more dangerous for everyone involved. My fellow drivers become infuriated when the car ahead of them leaves a huge gap that allows car after car to cut in front of that driver. Once angry, they either tailgate or attempt to pass on the right and cut off the "offending" driver. Unfortunately we are forced to integrate with the "herd" and it makes sense either to drive in harmony with the rest, or pull over to the slowest lane when you don't feel comfortable. A driver who is out of sync with the majority puts all at risk, even when the herd is pushing the limits a bit.

It sounds like this was just a very unfortunate situation that would trap most drivers--we just don't drive around with the expectation that the car ahead of us will suddenly screech to a halt when the road ahead is clear. In heavy traffic with limited visibility ahead, most of us automatically increase the distance between cars because we know that stop-and-go conditions can erupt at any instant.

OP--Always sorry to hear about any Tesla that is damaged since they are expensive to repair. Hope your car is like new in short order, and glad to hear that you are OK.
It's not that hard, you pull over right when a faster car approaches and keep it in the right-most lane that's appropriate for your speed.

The latter is something a lot of drivers in the US don't understand. You don't use the right lane if you feel uncomfortable, you use if you're driving slower than speed of traffic, end of story(unless you live in South Dakota!). It prevents the "herd" part of traffic that you talk about which is also a dangerous place to be(and most defensive driving courses will advise against traveling in).

As others have said, things can be replaced, people can't.

In so many situations, accident analysis has been shown to save lives (and property). All such events become a learning experience (both for the victims, as well for others in the community). Thanks you to Rawad H. for creating this thread, and helping us all to learn from what happened to him.

I'd like to see the naysayers follow the 2 second rule on my freeways--they would actually make it more dangerous for everyone involved.
I don't even drive on freeways anymore, and it's becuase of drivers who follow too close. It's simply not safe.

My fellow drivers become infuriated when the car ahead of them leaves a huge gap that allows car after car to cut in front of that driver. Once angry, they either tailgate or attempt to pass on the right and cut off the "offending" driver.
Every last one of these drivers should have their licenses revoked permanently. Unfortunately, we allow huge numbers of unsafe drivers on the road in this country.

I'd estimate that between 2/3 and 3/4 of all drivers on the road are habitual tailgaters, and maybe 1/2 the drivers will cut other people off without room to spare. This is appallingly dangerous, and as I said before, they all need their licenses revoked permanently. Unfortunately we live in a country (the US) which tolerates reckless, negligent manslaughter if you do it in a car.

question here, so if the quote is crazy high, and i know you have to be certified to work on teslas. would a high end collision shop still work on it for you? and would that void warranties? how exactly does it work.

Only tesla has the parts. So the repair shop would still have to buy the parts from tesla. If it's an unapproved tesla repair shop I assume your warranty would be void.

Glad you are OK. Regarding collision sensors, I find the warning useless even at the most sensitive setting. All it has picked up to date is false positives ( a bush on the side of my drive). On one occasion, stopped at the lights, I was talking to my daughter next to me, and failed to notice I had eased pressure off the brake and was rolling into the car in front. No alarm but luckily I saw it in time to slam on brakes. Could have really used it there!!