Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The dream comes crashing down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on what actually happened, I redrove the route today in my chevy volt. I was coming down the on ramp going 40-50 mpg I looked to my left to make sure there were no cars in my lane so I could merge, I then looked ahead of me the car in front of me broke and I couldn't move in time. So turns out I was not to close to the car but she suddenly stopped right after the on ramp as I was merging.
I totally get this. I've had a similar thing happen at a slower speed. 10,000 times the car in front of you does what is expected and then 1 time they see/do something "out of character" for the driving conditions (keep the flow of traffic even when merging!). Almost always with defensive driving we catch that 1/10,000 time easily.

Glad you are OK and things are progressing. I'm planning graduating from a Volt to a Tesla X myself soon.

I don't even drive on freeways anymore, and it's becuase of drivers who follow too close. It's simply not safe.

Every last one of these drivers should have their licenses revoked permanently. Unfortunately, we allow huge numbers of unsafe drivers on the road in this country.

I'd estimate that between 2/3 and 3/4 of all drivers on the road are habitual tailgaters, and maybe 1/2 the drivers will cut other people off without room to spare. This is appallingly dangerous, and as I said before, they all need their licenses revoked permanently. Unfortunately we live in a country (the US) which tolerates reckless, negligent manslaughter if you do it in a car.

This "Habitual Tailgaters" situation has gotten out of control. I can't wait for the day when autos "refuse" to hit each other....and "force" you to keep a safe distance.

I think it is funny that people will rear-end someone and blame it on the "jerk" in front of him. I have a "ingrained" distance of following that is much greater than the average Joe. I cringe every day that I jump on the highway. (Have you ever driven 1-15 from Barstow to Vegas ? It is "Combat Driving" at its finest.)

These vast majority of "habitual Tailgaters" do not have a clue that they have a "appallingly dangerous" habit.

If you are ignorant, it is IMPOSSIBLE to know that you are ignorant. Rant over.