Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Drive attacks Fred Lambert, Electrek

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my view, Electrek is one of the most balanced and informative sites covering Tesla. And I’m certainly not going to say Electrek is without bias. It’s just that everyone else is also biased, and unlike Electrek, everyone else tends to get even the most basic of facts wrong

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
No, Electrek is definitely fanboyish. Hell, they used to have the current TSLA price as a permanent banner.
But I use Electrik as a summariser of this forum. Very useful, I never miss a new feature or event without having to scout pages of forum.

Love how we all keep giving Niedermeyer oxygen.

Remember Tesla's "A Grain Of Salt" blog?

Finally, it is worth noting that the blogger who fabricated this issue, which then caused negative and incorrect news to be written about Tesla by reputable institutions, is Edward Niedermeyer. This is the same gentle soul who previously wrote a blog titled “Tesla Death Watch,” which starting on May 19, 2008 was counting the days until Tesla’s death. It has now been 2,944 days. We just checked our pulse and, much to his chagrin, appear to be alive. It is probably wise to take Mr. Niedermeyer’s words with at least a small grain of salt.

We don’t know if Mr. Niedermeyer’s motivation is simply to set a world record for axe-grinding or whether he or his associates have something financial to gain by negatively affecting Tesla’s stock price, but it is important to highlight that there are several billion dollars in short sale bets against Tesla. This means that there is a strong financial incentive to greatly amplify minor issues and to create false issues from whole cloth.

(emphasis my own)

IMO, teslarati is where you go if you want more than just a daily summary of TMC hot topics.

Since when is Electrek considered a journalist news site?

It's information about electric vehicles that is biased towards ownership of those vehicles. It's not exactly a shock to anyone.

Now I do think the site could be a little tougher on Tesla where Lambert used his position to challenge what Elon Musk says a bit more. Where Lambert acted a bit as a consumer activist. But, of course I'm biased as a Tesla owner.

Anyone have any recommendations on non-biased automotive news sources?

I read both Electrek and Teslarati and a bunch of other sites.

They all have their own editorial style, I keep them all in context, and dont feel the need to stress about it.

But when someone like "The Drive" comes along and starts bashing other sites two things come to mind
"Desperate" and "Click Bait"
usually follwoed by "Pathetic".

My curiosity is measured in microseconds and I move on.

In all my readings, I like a balance, to keep me in check, but as a Tesla owner and fan of EVs, I think Fred is the best and most knowledgeable link I have... and I read a lot.... and own a Tesla.... love america. Have a happy 4th y’all!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Fred's articles are typical blog posts (see ''Electrek's Take'' comments), not journalism, though they are usually well-researched, well-written, informative and factual.

But since this is not journalism but a specialized blog, he is not held to rules of impartiality (which even professional journalists don't always adhere to). What's more, he is a Model S owner, soon-to-be Model 3 owner so who can hold it against him to have a Tesla bias??

If I were in Fred's seat writing blog posts about Tesla be assured you'd be banging your heads on walls screaming fanboy. :D

As far as I'm concerned, Niedermeyer can *censored* a *censored*. I'm sure he and Bob Putz get along just fine. They can both share shower space with that senior exec from Ford who today had the temerity to post that they produce 7000 cars in 4 hours. Yeah, Ford - 7000 NON-ELECTRIC cars. Another putz.

Electrek looks like a blog, reads like a blog, and does what it does very well with a relatively small staff (see number of content pieces published per week). It's amusing that the opposition tries to hold Electrek to a different standard and then complains about it. Often, Electrek scoops everybody else anyway. One aspect of the world of journalism is often that if you're not annoying someone, then you're not doing your job. I hope Fred continues to annoy Nieder*censored* for quite some time to come.

Big picture, this is just a taste of how bad it will get. Wait until there's a Tesla pickup and F150/250/350 sales drop. Every shill on Ford's payroll will become even busier than they already are in the effort to spread disinformation with great enthusiasm.

As an aside with regard to *how* disadvantaged other manufacturers will remain for the next 5 years, unless and until there's a competitive other charging network, *everyone* other than Tesla is just playing for 2nd place. At best. 4-pedestal 350kWh CCS stations aren't going to cut it when the high side isn't even energized. And those 20-30 pedestal CCS plazas? Yeah... better get busy negotiating *those* leases. Similar to how elections are impacted after gerrymandering stacks the deck. Ford could have the Best EVs Ever and what does it matter when you can't get from LA to Vegas or SF without significant delay. Rated range of 300 miles won't get you to either place unless you crawl through the high desert. I'm sure the sales minions will forget that practical detail, however, as they gleefully parrot that new owners can "charge anywhere". Lol.

While I dont enjoy the site like I used to since I learned of other EV sites, I do enjoy for the comments of the articles. The fanboys and the haters comments can be very entertaining! With that said, it looks like the Drive is hating on Fred, and right or wrong, if hes getting this much attention from another site, hes doing something right.

As a side note, I feel if elektrek was named "Tesla 9 to 5" it would have so much less hate, because people would know what they were getting into...but its not. I'm a true EV fan, and reading tesla (non) story after tesla (non) story gets old fast. I mean, who cares that some random fan made a rendering of a tesla mobile home when there are more relevant EV stories that could use some coverage!

Honestly, when Fred covers other manufacturers' EVs, the same optimism and enthusiasm is not there in the writing. I get the impression that writing a positive story about anyone other than tesla is boring or unpleasant for Fred, and sometimes that comes thru in his opinion portion of the article.

While I dont enjoy the site like I used to since I learned of other EV sites, I do enjoy for the comments of the articles. The fanboys and the haters comments can be very entertaining! With that said, it looks like the Drive is hating on Fred, and right or wrong, if hes getting this much attention from another site, hes doing something right.

As a side note, I feel if elektrek was named "Tesla 9 to 5" it would have so much less hate, because people would know what they were getting into...but its not. I'm a true EV fan, and reading tesla (non) story after tesla (non) story gets old fast. I mean, who cares that some random fan made a rendering of a tesla mobile home when there are more relevant EV stories that could use some coverage!

Honestly, when Fred covers other manufacturers' EVs, the same optimism and enthusiasm is not there in the writing. I get the impression that writing a positive story about anyone other than tesla is boring or unpleasant for Fred, and sometimes that comes thru in his opinion portion of the article.
I think you have it backwards.

It is not that Fred’s writing is boring and unpleasant when it comes to other EVs. It is just that the other EVs are boring and unpleasant that there is really nothing more to write about. I mean, what more can you write about Ford Focus EV. :)

I think you have it backwards.

It is not that Fred’s writing is boring and unpleasant when it comes to other EVs. It is just that the other EVs are boring and unpleasant that there is really nothing more to write about. I mean, what more can you write about Ford Focus EV. :)
i know you were joking, but, really, the ipace, the taycan, the truck from bollinger are boring to you? /what about rimac? Or the Mercedes SLS AMG Electric Drive? Are you saying nobody else makes a compelling electric car?

And thats not even including all the reallllly cool conversions, race cars, and weekend warrior projects that are out there! This is why people dont like elektrek! Again, call it tesla 9-5, and nobody can complain.

• Love
Reactions: NerdUno

evd.JPG

Maybe this has something to do with it? (source)

Or maybe they are just using Electrek to indirectly attack Tesla - Alex Roy's article certainly read more like a hit piece on Tesla than a reasoned critique of Electrek's content.

Anyway, well done to the Electrek team for these stats!

"... then they fight you, then you win"

i know you were joking, but, really, the ipace, the taycan, the truck from bollinger are boring to you? /what about rimac? Or the Mercedes SLS AMG Electric Drive? Are you saying nobody else makes a compelling electric car?

And thats not even including all the reallllly cool conversions, race cars, and weekend warrior projects that are out there! This is why people dont like elektrek! Again, call it tesla 9-5, and nobody can complain.

None of the vehicles you've mentioned are available...and Elektrek has reported on them...and generally favorably.

I would say, no, no one really "makes" a compelling EV. Even the Bolt is a frumpy commuter compliance vehicle that the majority of GM dealerships would prefer you not purchase. Of course, this opinion comes with a Midwestern bias, the Bolt is a frumpy commuter compliance regional vehicle on the West and East Coasts.

Anyway, as others have said Elektrek is a blog, not a news website...and the reason people don't like the site is because they are either a Tesla hater, or do not appreciate the overly flowery writing style.

If you want to discuss a site that truly lacks journalistic integrity discuss the DailyKanban. Elektrek may not be everyone's cup of tea...but at least you don't need to take a shower after visiting the site.

the ipace, the taycan, the truck from bollinger are boring to you? /what about rimac? Or the Mercedes SLS AMG Electric Drive? Are you saying nobody else makes a compelling electric car?
Except iPace there is nothing in there that interests me, because I am not the typical buyer for those type of vehicles.
And iPace if and when it hits the market I will pay attention. As of now the EV market is just Tesla for majority of potential buyers. And Electrek is catering to that market very effectively.

Except iPace there is nothing in there that interests me, because I am not the typical buyer for those type of vehicles.
And iPace if and when it hits the market I will pay attention. As of now the EV market is just Tesla for majority of potential buyers. And Electrek is catering to that market very effectively.
So true. The i3 is weird, the Bolt is dull, the Kia Soul is boxy, the Hyundai Ionic is not bad but hardly exciting.
More interesting is iPace and whatever the Germans bring out when they finally get their act together