TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The E.V.A. Project/Mindset

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by malcolm, May 1, 2014.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#1 malcolm, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    It was this thread that got me thinking: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/30567-Journalist-runs-out-of-power-in-a-rented-Tesla-and-writes-a-review/page9?p=646444#post646444

And in particular it contained this post from Alan which inspired me to start this thread.

E.V.A. stands for Electric Vehicle Awareness (Yes, I know; three-letter acronym :rolleyes: )

It's an umbrella term for anything and everything that we can think of to walk a mile in John and Jane Public's shoes and create a wide variety of resources which help smooth the transition from ICE to EV ownership.

The idea is to pool our collective knowledge and experience and suggest/create/test things which can share that knowledge and experience simply and effectively.

There are three areas where you can help:

E.V.A. Wishlists
    Even the most experienced of us can get caught out and find that our own EV doesn't do what we expect. So what could the manufacturer provide/change to displays and menus and guides and resources to continue to improve the user experience? This could be modifications to the cars, the firmware, the interface/controls, the website, the literature - whatever.
    You can post your ideas here or you may want to think of specifics for your particular model/make of vehicle and post in the Model X, E or S fora - or elsewhere here or online for other EV brands - we love Tesla but we don't have to be tribal fan-persons.

E.V.A Apps
    Taking inspiration from the pioneering work done on the Roadster OVMS, the Log Parser and the Tattler through to the current generation of amazing Phone Apps, what else could be done with the data exchanged between vehicle and phone/tablet/computer to make EVs easier to understand? Again, you can post ideas here or in the appropriate threads.

E.V.A Guides
    No one wants to RTFM. So how about video clips, pdf quick-guides, FAQs, flowcharts, acronyms (like Roy G. Biv), acrostics and mesostics, mp3 soundbites etc etc. Dream one up and post it here.

Although I'm posting a thread and giving it a label the best result will be if this is just a part of what we do all the time. Helping to make EVs better for more people. Hence the use of the word mindset in the title.

- - - Updated - - -

So I'd better come up with some ideas then:

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

I have been thinking about this every now and then. I would like to see something like what the news does every morning:

"Things to know Before you go"

Tesla ought to have a very brief half sheet in the glove compartment, specifically for driving those long distances. Things like "Going faster uses power faster", or "Give yourself a buffer: 30 extra miles for every hundred you think you will need. Then watch the buffer", or "Know your total elevation gain or loss. Allow 10 miles of usage for every thousand feet of climb", etc.

Most people are unwilling or incapable of doing very much math.

Even the idea of watching a buffer shrink is beyond the abilities of some of my friends (yeah, those friends), so I think that one thing might be worth while being posted on the GPS mileage indicator on the Google screen. If I have a GPS that says the next charger, or my friend's home, is 175 miles away, I want to charge to 235 miles, a 60 mile buffer. Then I watch it for a bit as I start out and every now and then as I go on. If my buffer is dropping a lot, like I see it go down to a 50 mile buffer before I have gone 25 miles, I know I have to do something NOW, not at the last 25 miles of my drive.

The biggest factor in said scenario: Slow down! Dropping just 3 mph might stop the buffer from dropping more than you want. If you see the buffer increasing, you can rack it up a notch, or gun it to pass a semi, as you wish, with no regrets. I find that 65-70 keeps me near the EPA range. You don't have to follow a semi, worrying about whatever might fall off in front of you. As an aside, driving 80 is probably more dangerous than following a semi at 65.

The second could be elevation.

Living in CA, I drive a lot of hills. Overall, hills don't mean much, so the most important thing is knowing approximate elevation changes. As in beginning and ending. Here again, GPS could post this when it does a calculation, or Google maps could give elevation lines in 500' increments, but even though this is an important element in mileage calculations, our only method at the moment is doing a search for "Elevation of Fremont", and "Elevation for Tahoe". I understand that some GPS do show elevations, but Tesla and Google need to look into this!

Be that as it may, I add about 10 miles for every thousand feet up. Hardly college level math, although the checker at the store has a hard time figuring change without the computer in front of her. Coming downhill, you can get a lot back. I don't care if it's 3 or 5 or 7%. It's a gift. Your buffer will go up, and you will probably push the pedal down and use it up anyway.

Thirdly, one of the reminders should be that using your foot is never as efficient as letting the cruise control do the job. If you are able, on a trip, use cruise. Doesn't matter if you have it on hi or lo regen. Cruise smooths out the power usage and gives you better (lower) Watt hours per mile.

Of course, I should talk. I have 43000 miles and went to Canada from Napa Valley, back before they had superchargers. During my learning curve, I actually got down to 1 mile remaining before reaching my destination. Now that I watch my buffer, I arrive at almost exactly the buffer that I plan, which is usually 30 miles. I had a 140 mile drive through hills and up some pretty steep elevations. I gave myself 60 miles buffer for the hills. I watched it. It went up! I ratcheted the speed up to 70. It held. I hit the hills, but the curves slowed the speed down to 55. All is good. I got home with 30 miles left, enough to go hit the grocery store before charging.

So. I have had good results doing simple, really simple, math, calculating an ongoing buffer. I recommend it.

3. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Thanks roblab. A news-like or half-sheet reminder are great ideas. And thank you for posting your real-world experiences. A valuable resource. Much appreciated.

4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#5 malcolm, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    Okay.

It's not a half-sheet, it's a pdf file to view on a smartphone - you'll need a free PDF file reader/viewer installed on your phone in order to view it.

Download the attachment and save it to your phone.

The PDF file (which I made using Powerpoint) is formatted for a 5:3 aspect ratio screen so your phone may be different.

This is very much Version One Point.....Oh. And huge thanks are due to many forum members whose ideas i've used/stolen.

Try it out. :smile:

Attached Files: