TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Early Adopter High...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SCW-Greg, Aug 9, 2012.

1. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

I can't even imagine receiving my Model S this week as Jason (Sig serial #00000001: jason (Jason) on Twitter) is getting his tomorrow at 10am.

But what kind of emotions would you have if I were receiving yours this week, vs. (as in my case) getting one 9 months from now, when 10,000 are by then already on the road? I think this is one of the reasons why early adopters exist.

I just can't imagine having it untethered, unrestricted, and just sitting there waiting for me to get in (24/7).

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

So... this means the real non-insider first delivery is August 10, 2012.

3. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

To be honest, it's been long enough I think it'd just be relief it's done. I'm sure I'll be excited when it happens, but usually my interest is front loaded in the discovering and planning. I'm not an impulse person so by the time big events happen, I've pretty well analyzed it to death and the act of completion is a bit anti-climatic. My general enthusiasm has been dampened quite a bit, though part of that is the level of vitriol in parts of the forums has gotten so high the "checking in with Tesla stuff" has become associated with a feeling of foreboding.

4. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

We will know how many are on the road when we get ours, but for our friends and neighbors our model S probably will be the first one they see. According to the map of reservation holders, the next reservation holder is a couple of miles from us. I realize the map only has a small percentage of the reservations, but the model S will be very unique for at least another year.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I hear you. although I think in the case of the Tesla, writing that big cheque is going to get your heart pounding pretty fast:smile:

The Tesla forums are very tame compared to many. Try a programming forum for real vitriol.

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Echo all that! That pretty much sums up how I'd feel come Thanksgiving with the Model S in my garage!

I feel the same way about travel planning too (for complex itineraries for travel abroad); the thrill is in the planning and the waiting rather than the trip itself ;)

7. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Getting mine will be very cool of course, but seeing other Model S on the road, evidence of Tesla growing, is something that will make me smile. I'm sort of excited about that aspect of things.

8. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

I get that 100%!

I've been following this Model S (loosely) for 3 years now, interested, capturing the occasional news releases, but got serious about it about 6 months ago as it was nearing reality. Finally taking the plunge at the PDX open. I suppose part of my "foreboding"concerns are tapered by the belief that in 9 months a lot will be worked out. That's my hedge.

STILL, can't imagine having them show up at my door tomorrow. It would be an epic moment - for a non-founder.

9. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

Once I get a confirmed delivery date, I think I'll lock myself in the house . I won't even check the mail for fear of getting run over by the mail lady before I get to take delivery of my Model S. Keep in mind I used to have P73 before upgrading. Laid my 5 grand down the day after the unveiling. That was 3 and a half years ago. :scared:

10. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Who is the first here, active on this forum?

11. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

So...I upgraded to a Signature series and became an "Early Adopter" and was wondering if there will be any significant added collectable value of these cars.
    Although they are signature series...there is not much difference between them and a fully loaded Model S (non-Signature).

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Gratz. What's your sequence # now?

13. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

The signatures come early and at a premium. That caused much disappointment when Tesla revealed pricing late in 2011.

In the mean time, I came to the conclusion that the signature premium is a test if you can take the pain of being an early adopter and take delivery of a car still nearing its completion. :smile:

14. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

Sig #1278

15. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

I agree!

I used to participate in a lot of Unix-oriented BBSes, newsgroups and then forums...way too much anger out there!!!!